buying used tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stevenq99

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
what is the risk of buying an AL80 6 years out of hydro? The tank was manufactured in 1985. Latest hydro test and vis in 95. Tank looks like new less than $50. Take or leave?

stevenq99:
what is the risk of buying an AL80 6 years out of hydro? The tank was manufactured in 1985. Latest hydro test and vis in 95. Tank looks like new less than $50. Take or leave?

How 'bout making purchase contingent upon passing hydro? Might even up the price 20 bucks to provide incentive for the seller.

Ken

For an AL80 it's a modest bargain, depending how much less that $50.

A few thoughts...
*Will he make a deal pending a passing hydro?
*Is there still pressure in the cylinder? That's a good sign but not a guarantee that it is not contaminated.
*If empty will the seller spin the valve off for a DIY visual inspection?
*What are your local Hydro and VIP fees?
*What is the going rate for a comparable new cylinder?
*Are there any markings that have been hashed out with a stamp? This would indicate a failed hydro, not likely.
*As a cold water diver (WI) is this the right cylinder for you?
http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=1191538&postcount=16
*Is the valve DIN or Yoke, is it compatible with your regulator?

I doubt that it's a slam dunk, you will be assuming some risk to procure a 21 year old cylinder.

Pete

thanks for the input. The guy has not called me back yet. The 6351 alloy issue is kinda the kicker.

Steven

royalediver:
Pass on it. Probabaly a 6351 alloy

You are right, I was thinking it was earlier.

Luxfer and Waler Kidde up to original hydros of 01/88, more risk than it's worth.

Pete

I bought mine (2), contingent of passing Hydro... It all depends on how bad the buyer wants to sell and/or how well you know the buyer

stevenq99:

If this is 6351 AL, then do NOT buy it. My buddy made the mistake of getting two (they looked new). They were O2 cleaned, In hydro, and had a current vis. No one would fill them including the shop he is taking DM with. Maybe you could find a shop that would fill them, but more than likely most will not touch them even if they pass hydro and vis.

Thanks for your help At this point I have passed on it. I called a LDS to see if they would vip/hydro it and they said no problem however he said some places would not touch it.

Back
Top Bottom