Buying used tanks - is it worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just picked up another AL80 over the weekend. Cost me $50 (I actually gave him $60 since I didn't have change) and it's in perfect shape. I don't know that the previous owner dove it more than a couple times. I have to get the hydro and vis done so add another $40, but still $90 for a tank that would've cost me more than double that new. I'm okay with that. I now have 3 AL80's and then an AL63 (needs hydro) so well worth it for me since I'm nowhere remotely close to blue water diving. I'm a divemaster trainee so I'm helping at the local scuba park (think quarry) as much as possible and the first day we never use more than 3 tanks of air. So that saves me from having to pay for air fills. And if I want to dive another location here locally where there isn't an air fill station or a dive shop close enough to get fills, I can do so without having to pay $10-$15/tank to rent them. My air fills at my LDS are pretty much free so after a day of diving with OW classes I stop by there on the way home and refill. So for me....definitely worth it to buy used tanks. Just gotta be careful and make sure you know what you're getting. You can look at the serial number stamped into the tank and figure out the manuf. date. Then just visually inspect the exterior and looks for signs of damage, etc.

Unless you're tank inspection/re-hydro certified...with O2 cleaning included...you're looking on average of $50. per year...per tank for annual servicing...double that when re-hydro time comes around...

Around here in Florida $35-45 is the cost for the hydro, with visual inspections around $20-25. That includes O2 clean inspection (cleaning is extra), eddy current test (if needed), and air/nitrox fill.

For me with the savings over rentals it takes about 7 local dives a year for each tank of them to be cost effective. Although one weekend in the Keys and my HP100 when filled with Nitrox save me $20-25 each tank, which almost pays for that year's portion of the upkeep.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom