Buying used tanks - is it worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sbiriguda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Tanks are a very important part of the gear and also dangerous if not properly manufactured and mantained.
Is it worth it to buy them used or better always new?
For example, after some experience in buying gear I would say it's worth it to buy used computers, fins, compasses or BCD jackets at a fair price and well mantained. While wetsuits and regs are not always worth buying used, for several reasons

How about tanks?

Yes, just bought 20 aluminum tanks all in hydro for $25 bucks. Couldn't be happier. :)

In Australia all SCUBA tanks need to be hydroed and given a visual annually... which is excessive IMO but the LDS won't fill them otherwise.
This does lead to some real bargains with 'out-of-test' steel tanks that have just been sitting around in a garage... usually $100-$200 vs $480 for a new 12L Faber.
$45 for a hydro and fill, never had one fail yet... but did have to replace a valve.

Where I currently live and dive, yes.

As long as the seller agrees to pay for a visual inspection first at a dive shop of your choice and the hydro is in date, there shouldn't be any issue.

I have six 10L 300 bar steels. None were bought new. No regrets; I got my tanks at roughly half of the price of new tanks (plusminus the vis/hydro cost...) and steels can live for decades if they're treated properly.

Here, hydro and vis is required every second year (three years for a new tank), so if you pay more than the cost of a new tank minus the price for hydro/vis you'd be better off buying a new one. Lower than that, minus something for cosmetic damage is a net gain, and usually I get a tank boot and a tank net thrown in at no cost since the seller doesn't need those when he doesn't have the tank anymore.

The right question for me would be "is it worth it to buy them new" :) Since you are buying other gear used (i.e. your budged isn't unlimited), I wouldn't hesitate buying used tanks, especially if you have time to wait and look for a good deal. The only other piece of gear that makes more sense to buy used than tanks would be weights.

In UK new tanks are a loss leader in that given the cost of shipping people buy other gear as well to get “free shipping” on the additional gear. Out of my 26 tank collection only 2 were brought new. As long as they look tidy on outside and can pass vis and hydro I’m happy. Tanks are the only items I’ve brought used

absolutely buy used if it can pass viz and hydro. ive had several good finds for way cheaper than new.
BUT A WORD OF CAUTION... Auminum tanks made before 1990 may be on the list of "illegal to fill" tanks do to an inferior alloy used back in the day. even the better alloys from that age require a viz eddy test on top of viz and hydro. so avoid aluminum tanks that are more than 20 or so years old... I have a steel tank on the other hand made in 1967 that gives me no grief.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom