Buying used tanks - is it worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just picked up two used tanks myself for $120. Both manufactured in 2011 and only have roughly 15 dives on them. Both are out of hydro and vis so add another $90 for that and then another $20 for two new tank boots and I'm at $220 for two tanks. Yeah, that's probably more than what some people pay but to me it was a good deal, still saving me around $200. Just know what you're getting, check the outside for any visible damage, signs of stress, etc. and you should be fine.

It's like any other used gear, do your research and be an educated buyer. That being said, I have to learn not to buy used tanks whenever I see a good deal.

Bob

Good...
Another piece of gear that can be bought used...
In my case I bought new the regs and the wetsuit. I prefer new wetsuit for hygiene reasons, and I found very good regs made by a company that supplies Mares, Cressi, etc. and sell their own products also directly from the factory without brand

Show me the regs that say you have to Eddy a 1986 Catalina AL80

I just came across a 1988 tank made of the bad alloy. I expected it to be rejected, and possibly condemned, when I took it in for Hydro, vis, and fill. It was 20 years out of Hydro as well.

My hydro guy, just said no problem. Added a $5 or $10 eddy current test and said that it was in great condition. No problems on the fills either at my local shop other than looking at it like it was a unicorn.

That being said.... it is up to any particular shop if they will fill it. We dove a scuba park in East Texas that had a policy that they would not fill tanks over 20 years old. I have a few that are post 1990 but pre 1996 so we made sure we left them at home(it was a couple of years ago if you are doing the math)

All my tanks were bought used, most out of Hydro and vis. If I come across some used AL80's for $50...I usually buy them as fast as I can.

Good luck, safe diving,
Jay

I think, after custom cut drysuits, tanks have the worst resale value.

Buy them used, and if/when you sell them, you'll generally get most of your money back (aside from service costs over the years ... VIP/Hydro).

Starting out, buy something from at least this millennium, and check with your dive shops if they have any other weird "rules" about tanks (Some LDS west of me won't fill anything older than 15 years)

If it is out of hydro or VIP, have that as a clause in the sale (i.e. "Pending pass of VIP/Hydro). You can do hydros through your LDS, but most likely they go down to the local hydro shop (up here, it's usually Fire Safety houses that do any and all hydro testing on any regulated cylinder, not just fire extinguishers). You can save some $$ that way by doing it yourself. However, you will probably have to still send it out the LDS for a VIP/Cleaning afterwards.

As you get more experience, and take the required courses, you can O2 clean and VIP tanks yourself (if you deem it necessary)

_R

That being said.... it is up to any particular shop if they will fill it. We dove a scuba park in East Texas that had a policy that they would not fill tanks over 20 years old. I have a few that are post 1990 but pre 1996 so we made sure we left them at home(it was a couple of years ago if you are doing the math)

Good luck, safe diving,
Jay

I must have dove the same scuba park last month. They had a buddy convinced that he needed to trash his tank. I think that I talked him back from the cliff............

Yes and no. I've purchased AL tanks that were out of hydro, for $25. Hydro cost $20. In this case it was worth it. I've purchased a ST tank which was out of hydro for $50. When I removed the valve, after draining the 500psi of air, I found water inside the cylinder. In this case the answer was no.

If you can, at least take a look inside the tank before purchasing.

With all that being stated, most used tanks that I have purchased were fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom