Buying used tanks - is it worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also of note, some tank sizes are 'odd' and hard to re-sell and/or aren't really suited for diving (i.e. require lots of lead to sink compared to something else of similar capacity, or oddly shaped - small and fat, or lean and long)

Some I can think of are LP95vsHP100's, not only are the 100's lighter on land, but they are smaller too so they don't require lead to sink them as much as the LP95's

AL30's don't have as much resale as they're too small for tech diving (AL40 and AL80 are the popular ones for stage/deco bottles)

and many others as well ....

_R

If you want a specific tank then it can be harder find used. I have bought a few new, when I couldn't find them used. Usually finding them used right after buying the new ones. You just have to be informed to buy them used. Skip the bad alloy ones, they may test good or may not. Unless they are a total bargain that you are willing to roll the dice with. And they may not be good next time, and you may run across shops that won't fill them even if all the tests say they are good. Which could be a bummer if you were to go someplace and expect a fill and not be able to get it.

I think, after custom cut drysuits, tanks have the worst resale value.

Buy them used, and if/when you sell them, you'll generally get most of your money back (aside from service costs over the years ... VIP/Hydro).

Starting out, buy something from at least this millennium, and check with your dive shops if they have any other weird "rules" about tanks (Some LDS west of me won't fill anything older than 15 years)

If it is out of hydro or VIP, have that as a clause in the sale (i.e. "Pending pass of VIP/Hydro). You can do hydros through your LDS, but most likely they go down to the local hydro shop (up here, it's usually Fire Safety houses that do any and all hydro testing on any regulated cylinder, not just fire extinguishers). You can save some $$ that way by doing it yourself. However, you will probably have to still send it out the LDS for a VIP/Cleaning afterwards.

As you get more experience, and take the required courses, you can O2 clean and VIP tanks yourself (if you deem it necessary)

_R
I sure have to disagree with this, at least in regards to HP steel tanks. So long as they are clean they are worth a large percentage of new ones even if they are 25 years old. BCDs on the other hand drop like rocks. Wetsuits have little or no resale value.

ok so looking it up, i stand corrected in that there is no law but only a recomendation to eddy old tanks. that recommendation includes more frequent hydros and visuals as well as filling slowly in a cold water bath. but the tanks are still legal. the problem remains however that many dive shops will shy away from those tanks and so it is best to buy slightly newer used cylinders.

If you want a specific tank then it can be harder find used. I have bought a few new, when I couldn't find them used. Usually finding them used right after buying the new ones. .
Yep... for some reason there are plenty of used manifolded twin 7L Faber steels for sale in AU, and very few 15L's.
The few 15L 232 BAR Faber steels that do pop up are quickly sold if they have anything like a reasonable asking price.

I sure have to disagree with this, at least in regards to HP steel tanks. So long as they are clean they are worth a large percentage of new ones even if they are 25 years old. BCDs on the other hand drop like rocks. Wetsuits have little or no resale value.

I wouldn't know, as I haven't had the pleasure of owning that crap :p

I see the same few people 2 years later trying to sell pretty brand new tanks for 85% of what they paid for for a few years now (dove a half dozen times).....

Maybe I'm too picky about what tanks I buy as I get about 95-120% return on them (I usually out 1 hydro cost at most)

_R

absolutely buy used if it can pass viz and hydro. ive had several good finds for way cheaper than new.
BUT A WORD OF CAUTION... Auminum tanks made before 1990 may be on the list of "illegal to fill" tanks do to an inferior alloy used back in the day. even the better alloys from that age require a viz eddy test on top of viz and hydro. so avoid aluminum tanks that are more than 20 or so years old... I have a steel tank on the other hand made in 1967 that gives me no grief.

Catalina never used the bad alloy.

Doesn't matter if it is the bad allow or not, some shops will just blanket all older aluminum tanks together and say "no fills".
Don't care if it is right or wrong, it is there rule. There is no scuba law where a shop has to fill a tank that they don't want to. That is the problem with the older alloy tanks, even the good ones can be treated like suspect ones.

Education is key. Perhaps pointing out that their "head in the sand" routine suspiciously looks like a ploy to sell more tanks might also be key.

One of my local LDS offers free air fills for 1 year when you buy a tank through them (that tank only).. so unless it's a really good deal on a used tank, it'll be new tanks for me from them if they are going to get filled often.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom