Buying used/new equipment on eBay/craigslist...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pwscottiv

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So I'm just getting into SCUBA and I'm interested in buying some gear. Being a student, I really don't have enough money to pay retail prices unless I just buy the cheapest of everything on the market. I'd like to purchase most of my gear from eBay or Craigslist, as I'd like to buy high-quality stuff, but just at a lower price. What should I ask the sellers about the items I've listed below as far as their condition? And what do you think about the items I've chosen as far as overall quality when compared to everything else on the market? I do obviously plan on having a local dive shop check everything out. However, do you know if any of the items have a history of having any particular problems?

BCD: SeaQuest Black Diamond
Regulator: AquaLung Legend LX
Dive Computer: Suunto Cobra or Cobra2
Breathable Shoulder Inflator: Air Source II
Emergency air source: Spare Air 2.7L

Just check prices carefully

It's all quality stuff, but then most gear out there is pretty high quality - top of the line often means more features, not necessarily more quality. More features are good if you use them, if you don't it's just clutter that gets in the way. For regs top the line will likely breath easier but you may not be able to tell the difference from the mid range. It matters more that things are suitable for you.
- Do you know that BC will fit you well? That's about the most important thing to look for.
- The Cobra is a good computer, but there are many less expensive computers that will do the job just as well. Air integration can be nice but it's also a feature you might want to skip if you're on a budget. (You don't even need a computer right away, let alone an expensive one.)
- As far as the Air Source. some people like combined inflator/alternate units, others don't, and it's worth understanding the pros and cons. Again, this is a situation where you could go with a standard inflator and standard octo for probably less money (though, you might get a deal on a air source from someone who didn't like it and wants to get rid of it.)
- As far as the Spare Air, there are zillions of threads on this - basically this is a device originally designed for getting out of, say, a helicopter near the surface that's ditched but most people do the math and say it does not contain enough air to do you much good at depth when scuba diving. It gets marketed to divers, but that's marketing for you. So it's something that's perhaps not very useful, that you certainly don't need, so might be another good thing to skip if you're on a budget. (Though again, you might get a good deal from someone dumping one of these.)

Deals can be had places like eBay, but be aware there's many offers that aren't such good deals especially when you take everything into account, and its more difficult as a new diver to know which is which. You might be able to get some idea of condition from pictures, and you can ask the seller questions like why they're selling, how old, used how much, salt water or fresh, when serviced - but unless you know the seller I'm not sure you can trust any of that much or know anything for sure until you get it checked out.

IMHO:

Dump the spare air - what will you do with 2.7L of air anyways?

Swap out the Air Source for an octo. I've never used an Air Source, but I just can't imagine anything being simpler than an octo for a new diver. Simple is always good.

I would look in to the people selling the stuff...on ebay look at their ratings. There are allot of people out there who would like to scam you...buyer beware!
I agree dump the spare air!

Also make sure after you get the stuff you take it right down to your local dive shop and have the gear serviced to make sure it is in working order!

Instead of Ebay try our classifieds.

Many of our users(especially the ones that have been around for awhile) are very trustworthy. They won't sell ya crap... well... not without warning you first.

It's all quality stuff, but then most gear out there is pretty high quality - top of the line often means more features, not necessarily more quality. More features are good if you use them, if you don't it's just clutter that gets in the way. For regs top the line will likely breath easier but you may not be able to tell the difference from the mid range. It matters more that things are suitable for you.
- Do you know that BC will fit you well? That's about the most important thing to look for.
- The Cobra is a good computer, but there are many less expensive computers that will do the job just as well. Air integration can be nice but it's also a feature you might want to skip if you're on a budget. (You don't even need a computer right away, let alone an expensive one.)
- As far as the Air Source. some people like combined inflator/alternate units, others don't, and it's worth understanding the pros and cons. Again, this is a situation where you could go with a standard inflator and standard octo for probably less money (though, you might get a deal on a air source from someone who didn't like it and wants to get rid of it.)
- As far as the Spare Air, there are zillions of threads on this - basically this is a device originally designed for getting out of, say, a helicopter near the surface that's ditched but most people do the math and say it does not contain enough air to do you much good at depth when scuba diving. It gets marketed to divers, but that's marketing for you. So it's something that's perhaps not very useful, that you certainly don't need, so might be another good thing to skip if you're on a budget. (Though again, you might get a good deal from someone dumping one of these.)

Deals can be had places like eBay, but be aware there's many offers that aren't such good deals especially when you take everything into account, and its more difficult as a new diver to know which is which. You might be able to get some idea of condition from pictures, and you can ask the seller questions like why they're selling, how old, used how much, salt water or fresh, when serviced - but unless you know the seller I'm not sure you can trust any of that much or know anything for sure until you get it checked out.

Thanks for the reply! So the way I chose these particular items was by visiting a local dive shop and speaking with them for an hour or two. I tried on stuff to find out what sizes would fit me and tried to learn as much as possible about the features. However, I only went to one shop... Do you know if there's any other brands/models I should definitely look at that are similar in quality (especially the BCD)?

As far as the cobra goes, I thought it had some features that were particularly nice, like automatically zeroing at the surface and being air-integrated... I imagine it's pretty nice to be able to glance over and immediately know important information about your dive.

As far as the Air Source II, the guys at the shop said they really liked it compared to the octo... They recommended it mainly because it was one less thing dragging behind them to get caught on stuff and get in the way. What are the advantages/disadvantages?

So if the Spare Air ain't such a good idea, wouldn't it be a good idea to have SOME sort of fully independent air source?... Just in case your buddy ends up panicking or is an *******. I'd like to be able to be as independent as I can if the **** hits the fan. Does a pony system seem like a good idea? Or is it just too bulky for everyday dives?

There is a Black Diamond BCD that I'm looking at buying online... The seller said it's 6yrs old and has 50 dives. He also said it shows no signs of wear or discoloration. What do you think it's worth?

IMHO:

Dump the spare air - what will you do with 2.7L of air anyways?

Swap out the Air Source for an octo. I've never used an Air Source, but I just can't imagine anything being simpler than an octo for a new diver. Simple is always good.
That would be my 2 cents also.

As far as the Air Source II, the guys at the shop said they really liked it compared to the octo... They recommended it mainly because it was one less thing dragging behind them to get caught on stuff and get in the way. What are the advantages/disadvantages?

So if the Spare Air ain't such a good idea, wouldn't it be a good idea to have SOME sort of fully independent air source?... Just in case your buddy ends up panicking or is an *******. I'd like to be able to be as independent as I can if the **** hits the fan. Does a pony system seem like a good idea? Or is it just too bulky for everyday dives?

Scuba Diving Mag tested Spare Airs and some pony systems. I've only started looking into a redundant system recently, but from what I've gathered a 6ft-pony is the bare minimum if you're looking for something that will get you from max depth (132 ft) to the surface. Note that this does not include a safety stop!

Got Air? - Scuba Diving Magazine

Bailout Bottles - Scuba Diving Magazine

One question to ask with regard to the Air2 system is how it operates when breathing off it and inflating/deflating the BC at the same time. My girlfriend has the Air2 and says she can either breathe or operate the BC but not both.

Back
Top Bottom