Buying used 1st/2nd Stage Regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi everyone! Brand new diver here.

I want to buy my own scuba gear, but I'm on a very tight budget - so I've been trolling through eBay quite a bit looking for used equipment.

I'm looking for a regulator set (1st, 2nd and alternate 2nd)... Tons of options on eBay, but a lot of it appears to be quite old. (lots of Sherwood, Tusa, US Divers, etc.)

What do you guys think about buying older regulators?

Would you be able to recommend some brands/models that have been known to stand the test of time?

Also, would you be able to give me some tips on which brands/models to avoid if I should come across them on eBay?

Thanks a bunch!

MB

There's a ton of great used gear out there for pennies on the dollar.
I like older Scubapro MK5/109s and Aqualung (Conshelfs). Also Scubapro simple unbalanced MK2/R190 is a bulletproof workhorse reg that would serve for a lifetime.
*If* a used reg has been treated reasonably well and doesn't have any internal damage by heavy hands in the past they are great. Once they are rebuilt they are essentially in new operating condition. I would recommend getting used stuff here on scubaboard since we all kind of know each other, plus there are some real experts to help you out, and if somebody gets snookered word spreads fast. Ebay can be a circus.

depending on budget, it may not make sense to get used regulators if you have to pay to get them serviced. for the price, hog regs are nearly the same as buying used regs and the cost of service/parts. makes no sense to go the used route unless if you get regs that have barely been dove and don't need service or can self service. maybe see if your LDS has rental gear they will sell and guarantee.

I wouldn't have any issue with buying regs second hand, done it a few times myself. I do, however, always include price of servicing in the budget. After all, this is a fairly important bit of equipment and nice to have first hand knowledge to last service:) have good experience with this... Having saved sh...loads of money, probebly not....If I was buying new(or used), I would look at Apeks DS4 with some xtx50/40's. Lots of regulator for the money...but that's here in Norway...not familiar with the most common brands in US.

Going used can save you a lot of cash and you can get some very good regs as long as you understand what you are buying. Sure you should have them serviced but the only difference in a used one and new is 1 service if you want to keep the warranty up. Most regs can easily go 2, 3 or more years between servicing if you take care of them properly. In the long run, used can save you a lot of cash. Your best bet is to stick with either US Divers/Aqualung or Scubapro, not that they are any better than other brands but they do support most of their older models as opposed to many other brands which do not or have gone out of business. For the novice used buyer, I would suggest you choose a USD Conshelf (metal seconds preferably ) or one of the Scubapro MK-5, Mk-10. MK-20 or MK-2s. I suggest metal seconds on the USD reg because some of the plastic ones tend to crack or the end plugs break making the second stage useless. If you don't mind mixing brands and you can find a shop that will service them (a big issue sometimes) some of the other brand second stages can be a good deal. Dacor for example, the first are not worth much because parts are not available but the their metal seconds are good quality and use generic parts...again as long as you can find someone willing to work on them.

Last edited:
What do you guys think about buying older regulators?

MB

I prefer older regs. The best of the classic regulators (MK5, conshelf, MK2) have designs that have proven to be extremely reliable over millions of dives for decades. If well cared for, regulators don't really wear out; the soft parts are replaced at service and the regulators perform as new. And despite any dive shop salesman claims, regulators have not improved in meaningful ways in decades.

If you are going to buy a MK5, look through some of the many threads on them. The earlier models have lighter yokes intended for lower pressure tanks, and some have 3/8" HP ports, which will not accept current SPG hoses without an adapter. That's not a terrible problem (adapters are available and inexpensive) but I would stick with the later, 5 LP port model to make sure you get the heavier yoke and 2 7/16" HP ports.

Another SP model that's a good bet is the MK10; those are actually easier to find in good condition than late model, 5 port MK5. They're pretty similar, both highly proven.

Come to think of it, send AWAP and Couv (board members) a pm, they often times have rebuild SP regs. A reg from either of them will be ready to go.

depending on what your budget actually is, call Cave Adventurers and see if they can put you in a new setup that fits in your budget.

Other than that, the only used regs that are truly cheap and worth buying have been mentioned above. Sherwood I think has some aftermarket support, but the Scubapro MK5/10/20 with a 109 is really about as good as it gets....

Since I primarily use the Scubapro Mk10 and G250 combo, neither of which has been made in a while, I buy used. If one is careful and has the items properly serviced, many of the older regs still have a long sevice life as long as parts remain available. That would be one thing to check on before buying though... and make sure your LDS is trained and certified to service the one you select.

You have already had lot's of good advice but I'm gonna throw my 0.2 cents worth in anyway.

If I was on a really tight budget and searching for my first reg on Ebay I would probably be looking at Aqualung and in particular the Titan series. If you can stretch a few more dollars the Titan LX is worth it but the base Titan model is good enough.
Why? Because they are simple, rock solid, proven, reliable and breath better than most people that only use high-end regs would believe or care to admit. If they have not been abused (for example- never cleaned or maybe soaked with the 1st stage open) all they will need is a annual service and your good to go.
Because they are perceived as an entry level reg a lot of new divers buy them and then sell after only a year or so and a few dives because they drop out of the sport, or otherwise they think they need something flashier because they've done a hundred dives! This means there are some bargains out there on Ebay but it all depends on you scrutinizing the sellers advertisement, and of course how many others happen to be in the market for this particular reg at the time.
Once you buy the reg, and get a complete set that is all Aqualung Titan (first stage, primary, octopus), take a close look at it using Couv's checklist (on this forum) and don't be afraid to post questions if you have any.
The worst that can happen usually is that you send it back and try again, but you shouldn't have to if the item photos are clear, the description is detailed, you have been patient and picked a good one and the buyer has good feedback.
There are certainly other good options out there but this is what I would do!
Cheers and good luck

Back
Top Bottom