Buying used 1st/2nd Stage Regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just wanted to add that the Titan uses the same internal parts as a Conshelf, which the military has used for years, maybe since 1967-68 when that particular series was developed. Yes, they are that good that they literally did not have to do a thing to the design because there is no way to improve upon it.
So hopefully that will demystify the Titan and prove it's not just some entry level reg.

Hi everyone! Brand new diver here.

I want to buy my own scuba gear, but I'm on a very tight budget - so I've been trolling through eBay quite a bit looking for used equipment.

I'm looking for a regulator set (1st, 2nd and alternate 2nd)... Tons of options on eBay, but a lot of it appears to be quite old. (lots of Sherwood, Tusa, US Divers, etc.)

What do you guys think about buying older regulators?

Would you be able to recommend some brands/models that have been known to stand the test of time?

Also, would you be able to give me some tips on which brands/models to avoid if I should come across them on eBay?

Thanks a bunch!

MB
I have an older Aqualung regulator 1st 2 2nds and console I will sell of $50.00 plus shipping. It was serviced in February and has not been dove since then (I bought it for a regulator repair class)

breathe better than most people that only use high-end regs would believe or care to admit
I'm one of those and also recommend Titan's on a limited budget.

If you see any Dacor models on eBay go to the next listing. Dacor was bought out by Mares a decade ago or so and not supported any longer so parts are hard to find. Most service techs won't touch them now - liability not technical reasons since they're simple in design.

Some of the Sherwoods aren't bad either, Magnum, Blizzard etc. They're the mainstay of many shops rental fleets and simple to maintain. The SR1 had a lot of problems though so I wouldn't buy one even used.
A quirk of the Sherwoods is they have an air-bleed so if you test one don't be alarmed if there's a small stream of bubbles. Actually if that's not working it needs repair.

My recommendations are as follows:

1) Tabata (TUSA) is a good company that is also an OEM for Scubapro. That said they do not have a huge dealer network so I would pass unless it is a recent model.

2) Sherwood: I would avoid older Sherwood regulators because they discontinued selling replacement pistons for the dry-bleed system. The valve on the older ones is integrated into the piston so if clogged you need a new piston. Newer ones moved the valve to the body of the regulator and do not suffer from this problem.

3) U.S. Divers: The best ones are the Conshelf 21 and 22 because they use standard ports sizes. Some of the other models have 1/2" LP ports and take a special hose. If you want metal stages cheap then find the older Calypsos, they get no love because the first stage is no longer supported but the second stages are the same as the Conshelf series. You can always add another first stage.

4) Scubapro: Besides the metal 109 and BA second stages I would also look at the plastic G200B, G200, and the R190 and 290. For first stages the MK 2, 5, 10, 15, and 16 sell reasonably. There are more recent SP models that are good but they are pricer.

5) Older Oceanics like the Alpha and Delta series should be serviceable also and purchased inexpensively. The older piston first stages are MK-5 clones.

You may want to pm Beaver Divers, Casey just helped me put together my first regulator set and was very nice and knowledgeable. He showed me some used regulator setups, and not sure what you consider a tight budget, but has some that very well made and in great condition! He answered every and all questions, throughout several days before we figured out a good setup for me! I'm sure he can do the same for you possibly!

Hi everyone! Brand new diver here.

I want to buy my own scuba gear, but I'm on a very tight budget - so I've been trolling through eBay quite a bit looking for used equipment.

I'm looking for a regulator set (1st, 2nd and alternate 2nd)... Tons of options on eBay, but a lot of it appears to be quite old. (lots of Sherwood, Tusa, US Divers, etc.)

What do you guys think about buying older regulators?

Would you be able to recommend some brands/models that have been known to stand the test of time?

Also, would you be able to give me some tips on which brands/models to avoid if I should come across them on eBay?

Thanks a bunch!

MB

Define old?

Anything ScubaPro or Aqua Lung (including U.S. Divers) is okay. It is not that there are not other fine, even better equipment and regulators, just these two brands have a particularly long history of quality, performance and parts support. Even when their dealers are ignorant of it :/.

N

Back
Top Bottom