buying tanks...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubajoh44

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I know there are posts on this...I just couldn't find them.

Anyway, where is a good place to purchase a steel tank? I've looked on e-bay and most of those scare me. Leisure pro has a few. Anyone know where I can get em cheap?

You can find good deals at your local dive clubs. They usually have some members that might be selliing off some older gear. Other than that you just have to shop around. Tanks are one thing that are hard to buy from online because even though you might get a great deal the shipping will usually drive the price over what you would have paid for a new one. Then again, you can always look for ebay tanks from sellers in your area and see if they will let you pick the tank up.

Wayward Son:
Larry at scubatoys.

Yeah. Pretty sure Larry is carrying the Worthington LP 108's. Based on my research over the summer, these were the best value for anything in the LP 100 range (around $225). If I had it to do over, I would have purchased HP 100's to save some bulk... but I just spent a ton of $$$ on other stuff.

Regardless, I've been very happy with these tanks. I'm a little on the tall side at 6'1" so the length of them helps my trim. They are also about 1lb negative when empty which is great. If you're a little shorter, consider the next size down.

LeisurePro is decent, but I don't think their tanks come with any kind of VIP, so when you factor in that cost, they're not worth it. While I have made many equipment purchases on line, I have bought each of my three tanks in person. How far are you away from ScubaToys? It might be worth the drive. Some

Some shops will offer free fills for the life of the tank with purchase, so you might want to looks for specials like that.

I don't have a LDS close to me that sells them. I'll look into scubatoys. Thanks for the info.

OK. I usually use steel 72's at my LDS. I've found a few 80's and 100's that are pretty good priced. How much bigger and heavier are they gonna be than what I'm used to. Which one would you prefer?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom