Buying Online vs Overpriced LDS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

99.9999999% of all LDS give you an insentive to buy your tanks from them. It's called the VIP sticker and first fill.

Mine gives you a 10 fill card with each tank purchased. Makes the math real easy on Al80s since the cost of renting 10 times becomes the same as buying a tank that comes with 10 fills. So in reality you pre-pay for 10 rentals then the cost goes to $5 a tank after that and you get the convenience of owning tanks (1 trip to the shop per dive rather than 2).

The other problem with buying at a local shop vs an on-line shop is that most shops carry 1 or 2 lines of products, so you are limited to their lines unless you want to special order and if you do that you are getting the same service as buying from a real shop that does on-line business as well like Scuba Toys. The other thing I've found is that few shops that don't sell on-line carry much in the way of closeouts. Those can be a great bargain. Perfectly good, brand new, fully waranteed equipment that is not being made any more because the manufacturer changed the colors or plastic outside pieces. All my gear was bought that way and I paid less than 1/2 (sometimes significantly less) than the comprable gear at my LDS.

I even have my gear serviced by scuba toys, the turaround time is actualy shorter than my LDS and since I can send from work and have it delivered at home, it's actualy more convenient for me and when shipping is counted in the price is identical.

All I know is when my LDS pissed me off I will only buy online for awhile. I don't care about warranty. I dive with Sherwood which I bought new on Ebay and just dove with it today and it was perfect. Plus I fill my tanks at the Fire dept. anyway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom