Buying Online vs Overpriced LDS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, I do understand that as I did retail for about 10 years total (guitars and bicycles).

However, you can do stuff to kind of make up for it. That's all I'm saying, if you can't make the price, give the customers some incentive to to pay more.

For instance, I had no problem paying an extra $30/tank for AL80's from Scubaland in Austin as they went above and beyond to take care of me with loaners and airfills while my ordered tanks were on the way (the color I wanted was out of stock).

That doesn't really cost the retailer any extra and they still got the sale.

Just as an example. :)

I agree with you 100%, i think that is the issue, alot of the LDS act like you are obligated to support them, and they do nothing to make you want to give them the business, and at times they get nasty when you dont, our LDS has lost alot of my business just due to bad attitude and lousy service, at least online I dont have to pay extra to listen to their crap, BS should be free..lol

Exactly, that is my situation too.

The shop in Austin (2hr round trip drive for me :() has been great and extremely accommodating, I just can't always get up there, I literally have to take time off of work to go, lol!

I did retail in very cut throat industries and understand that you can't compete a lot of the time, but you can do other things (in my case it was setup guitars, setup bikes, offer free tune-ups that don't take much time, etc.) as an incentive.

Maybe more retailers need to read this forum? lol

My LDS gives my friends and I better pricing then we can get on line. For me even if it was a few bucks more it's worth it. :D

For instance, I had no problem paying an extra $30/tank for AL80's from Scubaland in Austin as they went above and beyond to take care of me with loaners and airfills while my ordered tanks were on the way (the color I wanted was out of stock).

That doesn't really cost the retailer any extra and they still got the sale.

99.9999999% of all LDS give you an insentive to buy your tanks from them. It's called the VIP sticker and first fill.

While it would be possible for the online retailer to put a VIP sticker on the tank, it isn't a good thing to do.

Any time a tank raches 0 PSI it needs to have a visual insepction, you never know what got in to it when you let it completly drain. Most dive shops wont refill a tank that has 0 PSI in it without doing a VIP.

Scubatoys.com, which is the only online retailer I really use due to free shipping and ground getting to me the next day, is actually a LDS in the Dallas area and ships all tanks with VIP and (I'm guessing here) at the very least a partial fill, although that is a good question. :)

The shop I got them from also gives free air for 1 year, which is great, but the 2hr round trip sort of makes that moot for me. :)

ships all tanks with VIP and (I'm guessing here) at the very least a partial fill, although that is a good question. :)

FedEx considers compressed gas cylinders as hazardous materials when the valves are not removed from the cylinder.

I'm sure UPS follows suite in regards to ground or air shipping.

the mom & pops LDS cant compete because they dont have the volume of sales an online/ chain store does, so they CANT get too much lower.

Although this is true sometimes, definitely not always.

I am a "mom & pop" sized "Brick & Mortar" store. One thing I realized a long time ago is that I am going to get better pricing with the more volume that I sell. If an LDS is going to try to hold gross on each sale, an LDS is going to sell less frequently, not increase their volume, therefore, inhibiting better pricing down the road from their supplier.

I took many a skinny sale, (and still do) to make sure I am moving the volume to justify getting competitive pricing from my suppliers.

Even though I am a B & M store, I sell online also. I don't run a website because I sell much cheaper than what I am allowed to advertise, what is the point. I also like talking to the person I am selling to. It isn't an up-sell, but I am amaze at how many people are about to buy something because of what they have read, seen or heard and don't pay attention to what their specific needs are going to be. I would rather sell 10-15 orders a day talking to people on the phone then 100 orders using the "checkout" button on a site. Then again, I am a touch old school I guess.

That brings me to a pet peeve, the LDS "graduation" program...... An LDS that is going to sell you gear that they know you are going to "graduate" from or outgrow in a short amount of time, personally rubs me the wrong way. I am not saying all LDS do this practice so please don't go there. There are good shops of course. I am saying that alot of lower end gear is sold and then REPLACED by the diver in a short amount of time and an LDS will use this to move product and volume. Now, if a diver says, "look, bare bones, money is tight, I know I will upgrade later", fine. If they look me in the eye (or call :wink: ) and say "is this what I need" or "what do you think", at least they are going to get some options and enough info to keep them busy on research for a night or two.

Before every sale I make from a internet customer I encourage them to talk to their local LDS first if they have one. I don't want business from them unless they aren't getting reasonable cooperation from their LDS. If they have DEFINITELY decided to purchase online, after exhausting other options, wanting to buy from someone like Leisure Pro and alike.

At that point, I am going to SMOKE LP's price. :D I am competing for business, if I carry said brand in question, I am going to try making it worth your while. Although I don't have their buying power, I also can set my own margin, my prices are really skinny anyways and I have sold for cost on more than one occasion just to help someone out........ :D

I don't think a LDS is a "fitting room" if you aren't going to give them the opportunity to match or at least come close to the price. If you decide to buy online, for whatever reason, make sure you have given your LDS the opportunity of potentially earning the business. Although they may not like taking the short sale, at least you ethically included them in the buying process. Being a LDS myself. I don't have the pricing issue but I know exactly where they are coming from. How they run their business and conduct themselves is another story.

I am a believer of educating a consumer..... for some, they fear the educational method because sometimes it will definitely hurt their bottom line......

It is worth paying a little bit more to your local LDS. The key words here are "little bit more". There are spreads that you can't be excepted to swallow. Believe it or not, approaching your LDS now with the opportunity for them to earn your business will lay ground work for down the road. A relationship alot of times comes later on and eventually you may get to the stage of the LDS coming around to your "cheaper" way of thinking.

Internet shopping is a vehicle that can be quite viable. One thing you have to do is your homework. Between factory warranties, condition, price, model, location, etc, you need to be well versed in shopping online or at some point you are going to get burned. I hate Flea Bay in general, there are way too many people getting taken advantage of on there due to lack of education. It will be an oversight on your part, however minor, that is usually painful in the pocketbook. Don't be afraid to ask questions and do your homework.

When buying, make sure the items on your list that you have narrowed down to are catering to YOUR needs. Don't worry so much if it is "in stock" or "can be shipped today" for a mentality, get what is going to make a difference in the long run along with making you happy. Don't compromise on quality, this holds true even if you have to wait a little longer and save a little more money to buy the better gear if your diving passion justifies it. :wink:

I hate Flea Bay in general, there are way too many people getting taken advantage of on there due to lack of education. It will be an oversight on your part, however minor, that is usually painful in the pocketbook. Don't be afraid to ask questions and do your homework.

"Flea Bay" comes in handy if you know EXACTLY what you want to buy, say model BC and size or model 1st stage regulator. You come in to it knowing that you're going to have to pay a LDS to check it out so you build that in to your price. The only real deals to be had are where the BUYER is educated about the product and the SELLER knows little or nothing about it. You can get some really good deals that way but otherwise I agree with you that people overpay thinking they're getting a good deal.

Doing your homework no matter where you buy is important. It is usualy the differene between being satasfied and left wanting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom