Buying new gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Axua:
In my opinion no need to go technical if you want to dive wrecks recreationally. Lots of wrecks in subic and coron that could be dived with nitrox or compressed air. Not enough air to explore the wreck? go back up, get a sandwich and coke then go down again or go home get some sleep and back again the following day.

Well that is if your not thinking of penetration, gas switches and other technical stuff. I think that a big part of the attraction to technical diving is the gear, the complex deco procedures, the training, the linggo and the "eliteness" of this dive dicipline.
aaaaaaaaahhhhh.... sodeska.... domo axua chan...

but what if i want to do some penetration (of wrecks you green-minded PPDers!)? nothing hard core, but wrecks w/in acceptable recreational depth... would i need special training? special equipment beyond a flashlight and a length of string?

or is penetrating a wreck (let's say not that deep into the belly) requisant on having tech gear and redundant systems beyond a rec rig?

does padi have a rec wreck course? ya know, somethng with shallow penetration and/or high-overhead environs w/in XX feet of light zone and/or only allows you to go XX feet worth of cave line into any wreck, etc.?

Jag

is this the part where i jump in and say: "you're rig is wroooooong!!! we do not dive sidemounts!!!!!"

or am i in the wrong thread hehehehehe

seriously eric - your rationalization makes a whole lot of sense... especially given local diving conditions (e.g. cheap rentals, etc.)... so your setup basically means you show up at a resort w/ 2 reg sets and a set of tank bands? you tank them and rig em up to your (very nice) bp and voila?

it does make sense... even spoon said the major beeyatch of the doubles is the weight... it's not an easy rig to lug around...

while spoon and eric have similar intentions on tech, eric really has valid points given the local dive op situation...both have reason to stick to their preferred setups...and both will be XX,XXX.XX peysos poorer after :D

jonix:
while spoon and eric have similar intentions on tech, eric really has valid points given the local dive op situation...both have reason to stick to their preferred setups...and both will be XX,XXX.XX peysos poorer after :D
btw... you wanna be XX,XXX pesos poorer too? i passed by philtech earlier and met (one of the?) owners michelle...

hubba hubba hubba... kung mahina the loob you will make bili the gear hehehehehe

Jag

PS
mahal talaga ng diverite - buset!

shugar:
btw... you wanna be XX,XXX pesos poorer too? i passed by philtech earlier and met (one of the?) owners michelle...

ahhhhhhhhhh....no

shugar:
hubba hubba hubba... kung mahina the loob you will make bili the gear hehehehehe

hmmmmmm....:D

shugar:
aaaaaaaaahhhhh.... sodeska.... domo axua chan...

but what if i want to do some penetration (of wrecks you green-minded PPDers!)? nothing hard core, but wrecks w/in acceptable recreational depth... would i need special training? special equipment beyond a flashlight and a length of string?

or is penetrating a wreck (let's say not that deep into the belly) requisant on having tech gear and redundant systems beyond a rec rig?

does padi have a rec wreck course? ya know, somethng with shallow penetration and/or high-overhead environs w/in XX feet of light zone and/or only allows you to go XX feet worth of cave line into any wreck, etc.?

Jag

There is what is called "swim throughs" in some wrecks. Its light penetration of spaces that are not too tight and not too deep horizontally and will often just require swimming in one hole and out the next hole. This is not in any PADI training course but something commonly done.

PADI has a wreck course but its basic wreck diving nothing technical like laying line and back-kicking through 3 foot corridors in zero visibility.

diving wrecks recreationally can be as much fun as diving it technical :)

gosh.. I sound like a PADI ad..

"Hi I'm Jai Gamboa PADI Instructor. Come and learn to dive wrecks through PADI's Wreck Diving Specialty. Combine it with the PADI Deep Diver Course and you open a new adventure in your diving life. In the future you can also take the PADI Nitrox class, PADI Underwater Navigator and PADI Search and recovery to completely open the door to adventures underwater. More than that, you can apply for the PADI Master Scuba Diver rating after completing all 5 PADI courses! Its the most prestigious recreational diver rating there is! Remember recreational wreck diving is as much fun as technical wreck diving :) "

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom