Buying new gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diveshop@diveph.com:
Personally I will go doubles with twin manifold, reason being is that you will have to breath equal amount of gas from the left and right post for you to be balance underwater. You will have to have two pressure gauges on both post making your rig less streamline, one extra hose (with 2 more o-rings) that can give you 2 more problem, you stress levels will rise since you have to switch from left to right post regs to equilibrate you gases (stress high=CO2 high/CNS/labored breathing), and possibility that you might deviate from your plan because some of your brain will in those 2 SPG. I'm a firm believer on the KISS principle (Keep it super simple or some they say Keep it super simple stupid) the simpler everything is the more chances of mission success.
In the event that that you forget to breath exactly the same amount of gas from both post you will find yourself diving sideways, and that's going to make your diving a little more difficult, more in you are inside a wreck, as well as harder decompression.
In the event that you have a total lost of gas on you tank because neck o-ring rupture;
1) If you didn't equilibrate your independent doubles on the working part of the dive, this will mean that one of your tanks will be full, loosing all gas reserve.

2) If you did equilibrate your independent doubles, you will loose half of your remaining gas. The same way as double manifold.

Question we have to ask is, Will you have enough gas to reach you your deep stop / first mandatory stop? You'll never know until you get there.

This is what works for me, my equation is difficult=problems. I believe that what ever works for you, works for you as long as you have a valid reason.

Agreed... and if you're trying to save money, the math does not add up for independent doubles.

Manifolded tanks regulator configuration:

1. Manifold:..................................................................... Php 12,000.00
2. Two first stage and Two second stages............................ 60,000.00
(Class "A" USN approved)
3. Pressure Gauge............................................................ 9,000.00
4. Inflater hose .............................................................. 600.00
-------------
total Php 81,600.00

Independent doubles configuration:

1.Two (2) first stages and four (4) second stages ...................... Php 78,000.00
2. Two (2) pressure gauges ................................................... 18,000.00
3. Two (2) inflator hoses ...................................................... 1,200.00
--------------
Php 97,200.00

As you can see the difference Php 15,600.00 or about $300.00.

diveshop@diveph.com:
Personally I will go doubles with twin manifold, reason being is that you will have to breath equal amount of gas from the left and right post for you to be balance underwater. You will have to have two pressure gauges on both post making your rig less streamline, one extra hose (with 2 more o-rings) that can give you 2 more problem, you stress levels will rise since you have to switch from left to right post regs to equilibrate you gases (stress high=CO2 high/CNS/labored breathing), and possibility that you might deviate from your plan because some of your brain will in those 2 SPG. I'm a firm believer on the KISS principle (Keep it super simple or some they say Keep it super simple stupid) the simpler everything is the more chances of mission success.
In the event that that you forget to breath exactly the same amount of gas from both post you will find yourself diving sideways, and that's going to make your diving a little more difficult, more in you are inside a wreck, as well as harder decompression.
In the event that you have a total lost of gas on you tank because neck o-ring rupture;
1) If you didn't equilibrate your independent doubles on the working part of the dive, this will mean that one of your tanks will be full, loosing all gas reserve.

2) If you did equilibrate your independent doubles, you will loose half of your remaining gas. The same way as double manifold.

Question we have to ask is, Will you have enough gas to reach you your deep stop / first mandatory stop? You'll never know until you get there.

This is what works for me, my equation is difficult=problems. I believe that what ever works for you, works for you as long as you have a valid reason.
and thus the gods have spoken... galing, tom, KISS even the explanation

Jag

Since I seem to be placed slightly on the defensive here, let me review then elaborate.

The primary reason for considering the independent configuration is for those times when I'm traveling somewhere where I can't get doubles. As I said, manifolded doubles are preferable but since they aren't always available, this is an option.

When comparing independent vs manifold, there are advantages on both sides. The manifold has the ease of integration, the independent rig has the ease of transport and availability. With a manifold set of doubles, how many nitrox dives can you do? As many as you can uuntil those two tanks run out. With the independent, you can just slap in a set of new tanks.

I don't buy the argument about price. First, a truly redundant config will need two first stages and four second stages in the event you need to use the cut off valve between the tanks. Next, I'm playing the game using prices both here and abroad. Third, I already have two first stages and four second stages.

Manifold Requirements: Two tanks, manifold, bands, effort to fill and load in car

Independent Needs: Buy independent rig, call resort to have tanks ready.

Given the price and the effort involved, I just don't see the point to owning a set of manifold doubles at this time. Perhaps when I move again and if that location has better support and/or higher tank rental fees it will make more sense but at this time it doesn't make sense fiscally, especially if they can be rented for use during a real tech dive.

Halthron:
Since I seem to be placed slightly on the defensive here, let me review then elaborate.

The primary reason for considering the independent configuration is for those times when I'm traveling somewhere where I can't get doubles. As I said, manifolded doubles are preferable but since they aren't always available, this is an option.

When comparing independent vs manifold, there are advantages on both sides. The manifold has the ease of integration, the independent rig has the ease of transport and availability. With a manifold set of doubles, how many nitrox dives can you do? As many as you can uuntil those two tanks run out. With the independent, you can just slap in a set of new tanks.

I don't buy the argument about price. First, a truly redundant config will need two first stages and four second stages in the event you need to use the cut off valve between the tanks. Next, I'm playing the game using prices both here and abroad. Third, I already have two first stages and four second stages.

Manifold Requirements: Two tanks, manifold, bands, effort to fill and load in car

Independent Needs: Buy independent rig, call resort to have tanks ready.

Given the price and the effort involved, I just don't see the point to owning a set of manifold doubles at this time. Perhaps when I move again and if that location has better support and/or higher tank rental fees it will make more sense but at this time it doesn't make sense fiscally, especially if they can be rented for use during a real tech dive.
You've brought up some good points there, eric. General availability would be a plus especially if you go to less visited areas.

aruy aruy...and to think an HID divelight is not included yet.

I've read an article about tech diving and it sez if you ever consider it you should be prepared to spend big time, no cutting corners.

What a price to pay for some more deep diving.

clgsamson:
aruy aruy...and to think an HID divelight is not included yet.

I've read an article about tech diving and it sez if you ever consider it you should be prepared to spend big time, no cutting corners.

What a price to pay for some more deep diving.
tell me about it... and here i was about to join ish's request for tom to pm wreck1 courses...

btw, gords, tom: are doubles required for wreck 1-level diving (don't need to go john bennet levels just yet)? i understand and respect the no-shortcuts but are there equipment minimums as well as training minimums?

Jag

shugar:
tell me about it... and here i was about to join ish's request for tom to pm wreck1 courses...

btw, gords, tom: are doubles required for wreck 1-level diving (don't need to go john bennet levels just yet)? i understand and respect the no-shortcuts but are there equipment minimums as well as training minimums?

Jag

In my opinion no need to go technical if you want to dive wrecks recreationally. Lots of wrecks in subic and coron that could be dived with nitrox or compressed air. Not enough air to explore the wreck? go back up, get a sandwich and coke then go down again or go home get some sleep and back again the following day.

Well that is if your not thinking of penetration, gas switches and other technical stuff. I think that a big part of the attraction to technical diving is the gear, the complex deco procedures, the training, the linggo and the "eliteness" of this dive dicipline.

Back
Top Bottom