Buying mid - high end regulator vs replacing it every few years

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have to admit that it just sounds weird to me that people would think about buying cheapo regs every few years to avoid service costs.

Apeks is also my suggestion. DS4 or DST with XTX 50 2nd stage.
Only if the OP can get his hands on Apeks 1st and 2nd stages service kits. Apparently not that easy in USA or even Europe.
here is our parts and service kits for apeks and we ship globally for just 9.99 O-rings for Apeks gear from Scubagaskets

Since the OP is in the US, the most overlooked tank is the old steel 72 (2250#). Just by letting people know I'm a diver, people have dragged out and given me those tanks that some relative used decades ago and have been lying around. I haven't had one fail hydro yet. I've given some away to new divers because I can only use so many.

And they aren't bad for local shallower dives.
OP seemed to have no storage space for a tank to do self-service on their future reg set, so AL19 seemed small enough to store and still be useful beyond reg servicing. Using a rental tank to do the last bits of service seems more practical though.

At the level you are diving, it is highly unlikely that you will be able to notice any breathing difference in any of the regulators you have listed provided that they are serviced and tuned properly.

I would recommend getting a sealed diaphragm first stage, if anything because they are easier to keep clean with intermittent use in the salty stuff. I would avoid sealed pistons as they are expensive and annoying to seal *likely an extra $50/service to reseal an Atomic as an FYI*.

I would go with option 4 and get a @Deep Six Signature. You're in for $800, but you have a regulator that breathes as well or better than your Option 1's, BUT it includes the first service for free including parts, so that saves $100 just in labor for you. It has a 2-year service interval, so at some point in the next 4 years you can opt to take the service course. The service course is not required and won't void the warranty, BUT it gets you a free parts kit *you pay shipping* every 2 years which is unique to this brand.
This gives those regulators the lowest cost of ownership in the industry and they are VERY easy to service. Buy an IP gauge and learn how to use that and listen to tell when they need service, send it in for the first one, and you have 4 years to figure out if you want to DIY or not.

^^^ THIS!

I am still of the mind that one should get a decent regulator and have it responsibly serviced.

Different regulators, even of the same brand and make, may breathe or otherwise function slightly differently; and there's nothing quite like the familiar working of one's own regulators, tuned to your preferences -- a bit like sporting a well-loved pair of old jeans . . .

This is really smart, why didn't I think of it

I have to admit that it just sounds weird to me that people would think about buying cheapo regs every few years to avoid service costs.

When you say cheapo, most people would assume cheap, low-quality stuff. The brands/models I listed are entry level, but by no means low quality. They're all well respective brands with decades of experience in making diving equipments, not a dive shop's house brand. And they've been used by dive shops for rentals regularly. It's like rental cars, they don't need to have bells and whistles, but need to be reliable, or else customers will complain when they get stranded on the side of the highway. For example, like @lowwall mentioned, the Mares Rover 15x is quite a workhorse. Unless you service the regulator yourself, trusting a dive shop to work on your regulator is like playing minesweeper, hoping the technician wouldn't miss an o-ring cus he was hung over the night before.

It's like someone who drives a $60K BMW M3 says he/she can't believe people would drive a $20K Toyota Corolla. They both get from point A to point B safely. Would you want to have a new Corolla every 3 years (Toyota warranty period), or keep driving that M3 for 10 years and keep up with maintenance? For someone who drives 30K miles a year, a M3 is definitely more enjoyable. But for someone who drives only 5k a year, a Corolla is probably sufficient.

It is a relatively new idea (or so I thought), because regulator has gotten cheaper and more reliable than a decade or two ago. And actually that's one of the reasons why people lease car instead of buying cars, to avoid maintenance cost, because warranty is covered within the duration of the lease.

Just my 2 cents. :)

It sounds like you've made up your mind, but just to keep the conversation going, a couple of points could be made.
1. Many people would enjoy driving the M3 over the Corolla even if it's only 5000 miles per year.
2. I expect my regulators to last my lifetime, and possibly another lifetime after that. When a regulator is serviced, all the wear items are (should be) replaced, so it should be as good as new, maybe even better.

Happy diving with shiny new regulators!
Brian

The main difference between regulators and cars is that regs are designed to last almost indefinitely, if wearable parts are periodically replaced, whilst most cars, nowadays, are designed for self destroying after 5 years or 100,000 km, which comes first.

Back
Top Bottom