Buying gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I was just starting out, I'd buy from the motivated sellers on CL who thought it'd be a good idea to become a scuba diver - so they went out and spent 3K on gear before they finished their BOW class - then they decided on dive 10 that they didn't like being a "diver"after all. Now that top of the line Scubapro and Aqua Lung gear is cluttering up the garage and it needs to be gone.

Believe me - happens all the time. Finding it takes patience though - good luck

From the beginning I knew exactly what kind of diving I want to do, so after hours and hours of reading and renting and using various equipment, I chose to buy new specific equipment down to the brand and model that would help me acheive that goal.

It is my guess that most people are very happy with just joining a local dive group and going on a couple of larger group recreational dive trips a year. In my limited experience it quickly became clear that one could do that kind of very satisfying diving with any of a number of choices of properly serviced, good condition used equipment.

Early on though, I have decided to embrace a certain style of diving which requires certain types of equipment. Due to my profession, standardization of equipment and procedures is very important to me, though it may not be to others. Flying and diving are similar in that regard.

Also, some people don't care if they buy used or new. Some, like me, get pleasure from buying new and knowing exactly how the gear has been treated from the beginning, and the peace of mind that goes with it.

Last edited:
I'm nowhere near an expert as newbie is an understatement. I've decided to go used for the regulator (I can get a complete regulator (yoke), octo and gauges for a fraction of separate cost of new and properly taken care of, they last practically forever) and go new on the BC and exposure suit, not sure I want to take the chance of not being able to gauge the fit beforehand. Just my 2cents worth. I already have personal gear that I purchased before my OW class.

Lots of good advice here, I wish I'd read all of this and asked questions before I started buying stuff, a few of mine turned out to be true antiques, Dacor regs that aren't servicable, etc.

Caveat Emptor, I know.

Don't overlook details like regulator service and spare part availability for other gear when buying off eBay/CL.

Most dive shops only service short list of reg/computer makes and it could get expensive to ship your stuff for regular services.

I still buy decor every once in a while Decor is a cheap reg set and it has a useful purpose. I bought some old tanks that were not serviceable for a cheap price, Some decor regulators for a cheap price and still buy old unusable BCDs on the occasion and use them too. Just because they have a hole, cant hold air or be serviced doesn't mean they can not be used. They make great lamps!!!!!!
14067669_10206974720836721_2862685087887100282_n.jpg

And the pup looks great too!

14117705_10207072516481551_5167863872357081562_n.jpg

k ellis do you make boudoir lamps out of pony bottles? Ceiling fans out of fins? Replace several masks' glass with art glass, and that would make for a very colorful chandelier.
love it!

Interesting ideas but no. This was my first trial run and it turned out better then expected.

I may give those a try though

Back
Top Bottom