Buying gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba-Blue-13

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Now that I am certified and fairly certain I'll be able to dive once a month or so, I'm looking in to purchasing my own equipment. Because I need to buy for both myself and my wife, money is absolutely a factor.

My question really isn't as much what is a better BCD, who makes the best regulator, etc.? but rather - is it better to look at a pre-built package being offered by some of the bigger name vendors (like LeisurePro), or is it better and only marginally more expensive to piece-meal a kit together?

I don't have many dive shops locally, but would prefer to support them as opposed to ordering online, but they also seem to be significantly more expensive. So while I wouldn't mind spending a little more to go local, I do mind paying A LOT more to go local.

What has your experience been?

Don't buy a package. Buy separately. The scuba gods won't strike you down if you don't get a package! :)

The advantage of buying separately is that you can go for specific kit items that no retailer might bundle together, but, as you said, this will end up being dearer.

One more thing to consider is that a retailer with physical (vs. virtual) presence might allow you to test dive the package, whereas they might not be so accommodating if you want to test dive individual items of kit.

Now that I am certified and fairly certain I'll be able to dive once a month or so, I'm looking in to purchasing my own equipment. Because I need to buy for both myself and my wife, money is absolutely a factor.

My question really isn't as much what is a better BCD, who makes the best regulator, etc.? but rather - is it better to look at a pre-built package being offered by some of the bigger name vendors (like LeisurePro), or is it better and only marginally more expensive to piece-meal a kit together?

I don't have many dive shops locally, but would prefer to support them as opposed to ordering online, but they also seem to be significantly more expensive. So while I wouldn't mind spending a little more to go local, I do mind paying A LOT more to go local.

Well... the last time I bought a full set of gear was when my daughter got certified. I gave her a regulator from my own collection (legend LX supreme) but needed to buy everything else. I went online and bought flippers, boots & gloves, a computer and some weights second hand. Mask and suit she bought new.

To do this I knew *exactly* what I wanted and waited for quite a while before one became available that was in good shape. I got her Mares Avanti fins including the boots and gloves, a Seaquest Diva that looked like it just came out of the box, and Suunto Vyper with 30 dives on it for round about €200 in total. Buying this stuff (or comparable) new would easily have cost upwards of €650.

It did take a long time (several months) for me to assemble this kit online because most of the stuff you see 2nd hand is either worn out or junk so you need to wait.... and wait.... and wait.... until you see what you want.

R..

unlikely that packages are going to work out. You may save some money but you'll end up with gear that is unlikely to be the best available. No equipment manufacturer is the best at everything, so play to their strengths. Some dealers may cut you a deal for buying a pair of things, others may give you a bit of a discount for buying everything at once through them. That said, if you can wait until Black Friday, Cave Adventurers and Dive Right in Scuba are known for going nuts with pricing and it would be worth the wait.

Don't be afraid to buy used - the classifieds here and eBay have worked great for myself. My BC is the only piece of gear besides my mask that was purchased new and if I had to do it over, I'd have gotten used on the BC. You'd be surprised how many folks buy complete kits along with their OW cert and then decide that diving just isn't for them. Try out what you can via your LDS so you have an idea of what you want/like in a particular piece of equipment. They will of course push what brand they sell. If you do buy used though then make sure that your LDS is capable of servicing it (regulators here mainly but DCs too). Be patient, ask questions, and read up on what you're interested in. There are some real bargains out there if you can be patient enough.

It shouldn't be more expensive to put your own package together. It may be more expensive to put the bits from one retailer together and therefore appear cheaper. But the retailer is still making a profit on that package...

If you are buying two sets of kit then you can haggle for a discount. I'm in the UK so maybe things are different. But as a customer you have a lot of bartering room.

Unless you are rich or stupid don't support businesses that don't support themselves. The shops can match other shops prices if they want.

As cost is an issue there are certain bits of equipment you can get second hand with no detriment to either you or safety. Fins are a good example. Be careful about presuming something is better because it costs more - it's not generally the case in diving. You can spend a lot on a bcd with loads of pockets to fill with junk with no practical benefit over a cheaper model. Same goes for regulators - the price can jump a lot for the same regulator with a bit of shiney stuff glued on as apposed to the cheaper model (Apeks I'm talking about you). If you have a dive computer you don't need a ridiculous triple gauge as apposed to a simple spg. And you don't need a trimix computer if you are doing recreational diving.

Be careful about presuming something is better because it costs more - it's not generally the case in diving.

So to that point, I was in my LDS on Saturday discussing the desire to purchase my own gear (and for clarification, I'm only looking for BCD, Regs, gauges, and maybe a wet suit. I already have my personal gear). The LDS owner was talking about BCDs and how once you start trimming some of the cost, you start to lose a lot of features very quickly, whether it be weight integrated pockets, trim weights, comfortable jacket, etc. She indicated to avoid anything under $500 as it's just not worth it. When I start looking around on-line it appears that all but the nicest BCDs are under $500. Is she just trying to get me to spend more than I need to, or is there some truth to this?

IMHO one of the biggest decisions you have to make is what diving do you enjoy? Are you planning on using you equipment locally only? What about any tech diving? Dive Trips where you'll fly?

The reason I say this is because there's different gear you may want to buy that may be 'better' suited for various types of diving...

Quick examples -

Tech Diving = DIN 1st stage, Long hose primary, bungee Octo, BP/W, Tech Fins, Quality Computer

Local Rec Diving = Yolk Reg (or a DIN to Yolk adapter), option for a standard Regulator setup (Or you can use a tech set up), Heavier wet suit or dry suit, Fins & Boots, Maybe not a computer, but rather a SPG/ Depth Gague Combo (If money is really tight)... weight really isn't an issue at all...

Travel Rec Diving = Yolk Regulator (depending on where you're going to travel), light BCD (either a travel BC, or an AL wing with your BP/W), 3mm suit/ shorty suit, full foot fins (not boots), Cheap Rec Computer (if you find dive ops require them).

This is just a very brief overview in my opinion. The main point is, "If you want to dive wrecks (penetrate them, and see deep wrecks) don't waste your money on a 'Rec setup'... If you want to dive shallow to see fish/ coral you really don't need a $1,000 computer and $150 tech fins, ect...".

Oh yeah, and like what was said earlier... don't be afraid to buy used....

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom