Buying Gear.. Need Advice.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

just looked up diversdirect.com and they DO NOT carry aqualung or seaquest.

the only site that i saw was the leisurepro.com and NOONE can beat their prices!!

Diver's Direct has Aqua Lung in the store, not on-line. I was looking over the Titan regulator on my last visit to their Orlando store. You may want to give them a phone call. I believe they give 15% off to Scuba Board members.

Leisure Pro is hard to beat, but it has been done. I've bought things from them, and I've had no problems. I also bought a BC at a little shop close to home for $170 less than Leisure Pro. It was a Geo. Washington's type sale. It pays to shop.

Have fun with it.

My opinion may be a little different than most.

IF you have a great relationship with your dive shop...in other words...if they are providing you with an exceptional scuba course, they provide excellent service, offer plentiful advice and help, and are really there for you...I personally would choose to support that company by purchasing the gear there. That's how they make their living. They provide direct, person to person service. Again, this is assuming they are a great company. This is just my personal opinion and it's how I do things. It's so hard to run a company (and, no, I don't own a dive shop).

I typically find that price is not the only thing (not even the main thing) that I consider when I buy something. I DO certainly understand that most people are on a tight budget (as are most dive shops). I am in no way saying that the online companies are not good, hard-working companies/people. But also consider that whether they provide an in-house warranty or not....if they are not an authorized dealer for a certain brand, they should not be selling that brand.

hmmm... example?

example of what?

search for zeagle ranger or zeagle scout either on SB or google.

search for bp/w on SB and you will get hundreds of posts & pics.

look up recent posts by "shekes" who has recently been through the "bp/w vs. jacket" selection process and ended up with a bp/w setup. he also lists the gear he ended up buying.

FWIW, look up my bp/w setup:

diverite deluxe harness
oxycheq mach V wing
OMS aluminium plate
diverite cam bands

the above setup is my bcd and is an example of a simple, no-frills, efficient bp/w setup. (for all the bp/w purists - it is almost no frills given I have deluxe harness, not the hog)

like for instance.. i have been using that gear for 3 weeks now and i like it.. I tried the NEW MODEL seaquest the red and black one and i hated it!!!.. it has teh boyancy control on the lower left side bottom under toe pocket ( the lever style) I hated it.. so i have tried a couple.. to me the seaquest qd+ and the scubapro knight hawk are exactly the same thing and i like both.. so thats 3 different ones i have used and deffinitly ruled out one for sure!

Nice. I'd stay away from the lever bouyancy control too... Anyway, sounds like you are doing some good comparing. If that qd+ feels good and you like it go for it (as long as it will fit your diving needs for a while). I still think maybe give a Zeagle a try just because so many people swear by them (I don't personally have one). That, and maybe give a bp/w rig some thought like dkatchalov said. Otherwise sounds like you're on the right track. GL and happy diving :)

Diver's Direct has Aqua Lung in the store, not on-line. I was looking over the Titan regulator on my last visit to their Orlando store. You may want to give them a phone call. I believe they give 15% off to Scuba Board members.

Leisure Pro is hard to beat, but it has been done. I've bought things from them, and I've had no problems. I also bought a BC at a little shop close to home for $170 less than Leisure Pro. It was a Geo. Washington's type sale. It pays to shop.

Have fun with it.

well i havent bought gear yet.. still contimplating..

Nice. I'd stay away from the lever bouyancy control too... Anyway, sounds like you are doing some good comparing. If that qd+ feels good and you like it go for it (as long as it will fit your diving needs for a while). I still think maybe give a Zeagle a try just because so many people swear by them (I don't personally have one). That, and maybe give a bp/w rig some thought like dkatchalov said. Otherwise sounds like you're on the right track. GL and happy diving :)

for some reason that lever sucked so much.. and for some reason i had a hard time getting the air out of the bc.. i had to go down and do a rescue on my partner and i was floating at the top staring at him while he was calling me for air (just a drill) and i just could not get the air out fast enough.. THAT BC DEFINITLY gets props down.. as in i hate it.

Hey, Carlos. Let me pass on a Boy Scout good turn and show you this thing. I started diving in 1977 and have had a few regulators. I picked this one up a year and a half ago. It is the best I've had. A metal second stage is hard to find any more, and it recirculates moisture from your breath. There are a lot of good regs out there. As you mentioned shopping for price, the sale price makes this one particularly attractive.

Mares Proton 16 Metal Regulator at Divers Direct

Stu.

Hey, Carlos. Let me pass on a Boy Scout good turn and show you this thing. I started diving in 1977 and have had a few regulators. I picked this one up a year and a half ago. It is the best I've had. A metal second stage is hard to find any more, and it recirculates moisture from your breath. There are a lot of good regs out there. As you mentioned shopping for price, the sale price makes this one particularly attractive.

Mares Proton 16 Metal Regulator at Divers Direct

Stu.

IT does look nice.. but when it comes to regs.. i NEED to try them in water.. and i have tried only aqualung products so thats why im all into aqualung.. but ill consider it.. thanks!

Back
Top Bottom