Buying Gear.. Need Advice.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also, consider wrist-mount gauges/computer vs. console. Less bulk, less drag, easier to monitor.

bp/w?? whats that

Thanks for all the input... i like the gear i specified cause thats what im using in my cert class! been using it for 3 weeks now. I really like all the stuff we are using thats why i want the same gear!

Thanks for all the input... i like the gear i specified cause thats what im using in my cert class! been using it for 3 weeks now. I really like all the stuff we are using thats why i want the same gear!

so what you're saying is that the gear in your cert class is the best gear you will ever have a chance to wear and you are not willing to try anything else on?

if you are serious about your diving and aim to dive regularly I suggest examining other gear outside of your cert class config. if you're serious about diving and want to advance through the various skill levels, you will most likely need to replace some of the gear you listed (console and bcd for example) at some point in the future, in which you would have wasted several hundred dollars in the process.

if you are planning to dive casually or be a vacation diver, then your gear is fine.

so what you're saying is that the gear in your cert class is the best gear you will ever have a chance to wear and you are not willing to try anything else on?

if you are serious about your diving and aim to dive regularly I suggest examining other gear outside of your cert class config. if you're serious about diving and want to advance through the various skill levels, you will most likely need to replace some of the gear you listed (console and bcd for example) at some point in the future, in which you would have wasted several hundred dollars in the process.

if you are planning to dive casually or be a vacation diver, then your gear is fine.

well i do have a boat and live on the gulf and plan on diving alot.. I really like the SCUBAPRO KNIGHTHAWK.. but its about the same as the seaquest and its 100 bucks more.. tried both of them out and i like both.

Now these are the prices i found at leasurepro.com

bc -$399
Reg -$389
Octo -$89
Computer - 749 (although ima probably buy one used very soon at a good price )

oh and FYI, here's how much I paid for my gear:

bc (bp/w): 400 (wing 285, harness 50, cam straps 65)
reg 300
octo 55
computer 265
spg 107

total = 1127

paying 749 for a comp is crazy imho. btw my comp (cressi sub archi II) is not the cheapest either - you can get the veo 180nx for < 200. I've seen plenty of divers use them and swear by them. you can also get a cheaper spg than mine (i got the brass'n'glass spg, you can get a plastic one for about 70).

all of the above gear was bought exclusively from LP and ST.

oh and FYI, here's how much I paid for my gear:

bc (bp/w): 400 (wing 285, harness 50, cam straps 65)
reg 300
octo 55
computer 265
spg 107

total = 1127

paying 749 for a comp is crazy imho. btw my comp (cressi sub archi II) is not the cheapest either - you can get the veo 180nx for < 200. I've seen plenty of divers use them and swear by them. you can also get a cheaper spg than mine (i got the brass'n'glass spg, you can get a plastic one for about 70).

all of the above gear was bought exclusively from LP and ST.

yea i know i got someone selling me that suunto for 200 bucks.. just waiting for him to get back to me and ima go pic it up..!

bp/w?? whats that

Nothing wrong with trying on (or trying out if you can) the other equipment that is out there too. That way hopefully in the end you don't end up regretting any of your purchases. (if you already have done this then disregard :) )

Like I said before, I do not know much about the items you listed specifically, but, in my OW class we were also using Aqualung Regs and Seaquest BC's (not the same regs as you, i remember them costing a lot less than what you said yours run, but could have been the same BC) along with Cobra consoles. That being said, after I started looking into other equipment I quickly found there was a lot out there that I liked better (and a lot of it cheaper or comparable in price).

Doesn't hurt to shop around!

GL with whatever route you go. The most important part is being able to go out and dive :)

Nothing wrong with trying on (or trying out if you can) the other equipment that is out there too. That way hopefully in the end you don't end up regretting any of your purchases. (if you already have done this then disregard :) )

Like I said before, I do not know much about the items you listed specifically, but, in my OW class we were also using Aqualung Regs and Seaquest BC's (not the same regs as you, i remember them costing a lot less than what you said yours run, but could have been the same BC) along with Cobra consoles. That being said, after I started looking into other equipment I quickly found there was a lot out there that I liked better (and a lot of it cheaper or comparable in price).

Doesn't hurt to shop around!

GL with whatever route you go. The most important part is being able to go out and dive :)

like for instance.. i have been using that gear for 3 weeks now and i like it.. I tried the NEW MODEL seaquest the red and black one and i hated it!!!.. it has teh boyancy control on the lower left side bottom under toe pocket ( the lever style) I hated it.. so i have tried a couple.. to me the seaquest qd+ and the scubapro knight hawk are exactly the same thing and i like both.. so thats 3 different ones i have used and deffinitly ruled out one for sure!

you should also try a back inflate bcd. whether it is a plate & wing combo or a jacket-style like the zeagle.

it is a different "class" of bcd to the ones you listed.

Back
Top Bottom