Buying Gear.. Need Advice.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

These days, many of the online shops do offer warranties, either through the manufacturer or their own. If you like the prices you've found, I'd suggest you contact the site to see (a) is the equipment new and instock, (b) is there a warranty, (c) what sort of return policy and charges they have if you dislike the item. Purchasing from an authorized retailer is often a preferred option but ultimately you have to decide what you prefer and find the retailer who balances out right.

Also keep in mind that many authorized locations and local dive shops will try to match, or come close to matching, prices you find on other sites so if there's a particular store you like more, give them a call and see if they can put a package together for you.

hahaha.. yea right.. Bill Jacksons will not match any price.. lol.. they are like 200 bucks more on everything i want..

In Florida, check out Diver's Direct. These are large stores. They have low prices, and dirt cheap sale prices. You can try stuff on, and their service is good.

In Florida, check out Diver's Direct. These are large stores. They have low prices, and dirt cheap sale prices. You can try stuff on, and their service is good.

where is this located?
is there a website?
so they match prices?

thanks!

i bought most of my gear from LP and scubatoys including regs and such. great service super fast shipping plus discounts.

lp is cheaper than ST on common items, however ST will match LP's prices if required.

dont listen to your LDS telling you buying gear online is unreliable, thats crap. as long as the LDS will do the service work, you will be fine.

as for your gear, I'd consider a bp/w sertup instead of the jacket bcd. it will be cheaper and more future proof and more streamlined and easier to control your buoyancy and......

good luck. gear selection is tough the first time. my advice is to avoid paralysis by analysis and just make your decision when you think you've got it right. dont continue to analyse and research ad infinitum because you wont end up with a perfect rig straight away. that will take time, experience, money and mistakes.

Also, check out the gear forums here on SB. They have proven invaluable to me when selecting my gear and you get some great answers & advice on there.

If you are looking for a suunto cobra I have a nice used one with accessories for sale on ebay right now. The bidding is up to $62 only. I dont care much for the other items you are looking at but I will say I have found it best to go through LDS some times and online sometimes. My favorite LDS will work with me on expensive stuff but I need something I go online if they dont have it in stock just cause the LDS is 80 miles away and gas is spendy.

Here's another vote for going online if it will save you some money and if you'll have the service/warranty you desire.

You also might want to check into good used equipment on ebay and even here on scubaboard in the Gear Classified section. You might be able to grab a little bit better quality stuff for the same price (though I should say I do not know much about the models of items you listed), barely used even.

I recently passed up some Scubapro MK25/S600 regs on ebay that went for like ~$300 and ~340 or something (there were 2 sets, and of course you'd want to have regs checked out by your LDS before diving, which will add a little $ too).

Maybe check out this BC - Sherwood Avid CQR BCD, AVD201 from LeisurePro.com

Great price and great BC if you want to go the jacket route (like the seaquest you stated). Maybe go try one on somewhere that has it and the one you listed and see what you think.

However, you might want to give some thought to going the back inflate route. You can read up here on SB and find a bunch of reasons/opinions why many prefer using them.

BCD, BCD's Buoyancy Compensators

Maybe you'd like something like the Zeagle Brigage (same price as the seaquest) or the Zeagle Ranger.

You might also be able to save a few hundred on your computer/console by looking at similar choices from other manufacturers, but, your choice here should just come down to what fits the type of diving you will be doing and your own preference.

Hope this helps some!

-ck

as for your gear, I'd consider a bp/w sertup instead of the jacket bcd. it will be cheaper and more future proof and more streamlined and easier to control your buoyancy and......

Looking back with what I know now I wish I would have done that from the outset :)

Yea, you won't find any authorized dealers selling seaquest or aqua lung or scubapro, as they set a very strict - "no internet sales" policy, so then the question is if you really want to buy their gear with no manufacturers warranty, or look at other brands that have different philosophies about how the internet and scuba gear should be handled.

It is due to these differences that we no longer carry some brands. I don't think it's right for a manufacturer to set certain policies, then not enforce them unilaterally... but I also have other brands that I prefer anyway - so it does not affect us that much.

With great US based companies like Zeagle, Oceanic, etc... I don't see the need to buy from some of the other companies with different business models for the US vs Europe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom