Buying Gear in Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rutger

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm looking for some new warm-water gear.

I live in a cold-water environment, so none of the cool stuff is available up here. I don't have time to mail-order online before I leave, so I'm looking for reputable LDS info for Cozumel. I think I want a Henderson H2 and a Zeagle Stilleto LTD.

Suggestions?

Most gear is a good deal more expensive in Cozumel than it is in the US.

I'm looking for some new warm-water gear.

I live in a cold-water environment, so none of the cool stuff is available up here. I don't have time to mail-order online before I leave, so I'm looking for reputable LDS info for Cozumel. I think I want a Henderson H2 and a Zeagle Stilleto LTD.

Suggestions?

Oy. Don't plan to buy anything there, it's much more expensive.

Adam

Besides, what if they don't have what you need on the spot?

Pete

Thanks. Was figuring that. Rape the Tourists and all...

well, it's not just 'rape the tourists', many countries have have various import taxes/fees, so even the 'locals' get 'raped'. Recently Equador implemented a luxury tax on scuba gear, I thinks it's 300% !

First trip to Cozumel, way back, in the early 80's...learned from our D/M's wife (an American) ..How expensive it is "for them".. She had admired my sneakers..(K-mart..under 10$ ??) I said well gee, can't your family send stuff like this?
Family sends a gift..the receiver has to pay a "Gift" tax.
She was my size..I left the sneakers..wore flip-flops home.
As for Scuba Gear, nearly unattainable..
That first trip, left my old gear with them..(am humbled..she cried..he had to wipe away dust in his eyes)

Have made multiple trips since..bring old gear, new sneakers..(forget to pack them for the return)

And get more space for packin' souvenir tee shirts, woven blankets..etc..

Back to the question...no 3ml suits at your shop?? Have you checked with any other local shops??
If your Dry/with a shell suit..crushed neoprene? Just wear your clothes.. or a bathing suit ....Or?? Do you wear a 2 pc 7ml??..Wear the Farmer....you have a long sleeve shorty?..wear either with a skin..add a thin hood..ought to keep you warm enough..

Just some thoughts..hope it helps.
Enjoy your trip..

What I have found worthwhile buying in Cozumel is clothing in the local shops, not the ones for tourists. I bought some nice shirts there. Also they have nice souvenir T shirts, and some hand painted souvenirs.

Adam

If you know what size you need, I would recommend checking with some on-line dive shops and the little extra you'll pay for overnight shipping is less than the extra you'll pay in Mexico. Just make sure you call for the order, speak with someone and make sure you stress the importance of getting the gear quickly.

If it's not made in Mexico there will be an import duty added. Just look at all VW's running around all over the place. My Diesel Jetta was made/assembled in Mexico. I just purchased new commodes for two bathrooms I was redoing in my house. Both were made in Mexico. I looked at three suppliers on Cozumel. The American Standard models I looked at were about $75-$100 higher for almost the exact same model.

I don't know of any scuba manufacturer that makes/exports any scuba gear from Mexico. Shop online and pay extra for overnight shipping.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom