Buying gear, 1st time: Please offer feedback on my setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey I have OMS BP/W set up two (32lb for single, 45lb for twins), and it works fine :) Much better idea than the Knighthawk given you want to go into cave diving.

Though if you go in to cave diving or technical diving you'll probably end up buying lots of different gear anyway so don't worry too much if you get the wrong thing at the start :) and forget about worrying about cost... it costs a fortune and it is better not to think about it!

Scratch the Air2 idea though if you want to do more advanced diving... Get a long hose and get used to it if you are interested in overhead diving. There are various ways to set this up, personally I have my backup reg on a necklace around my neck (on a 24" hose) and a 7' hose that I breathe off and donate if someone requires air.

Go for wrist computer and SPG setup over a console too as you'll most likely find it easier to not have to keep pulling out a console to look at your depth and time. You don't need anything fancy for a computer. I like Aladin Tec2g, cheap, can change battery yourself, has gauge mode, nitrox to 100%, things like that.

Regs, most midrange or above will do fine, don't stress to much about this point. If you dive in cold water get a reg that will cope with that (usually called environmentally sealed).

Buy a tank, won't take many rentals to recoup cost if you are going to be an active diver.

Fins, split fins do not suit cave diving... I have seen people wear them but they silt more and they can't do backwards kick or frog kick as efficiently as paddle fins. They are also a line entrapment hazard. Lots of paddle fins can't do those kicks efficiently either so get one with stiff blade.

Line cutters and shears work better than knives for cutting line.

Snorkel - you are unlikely to be using this in a cave :wink: so good you've gone cheap style on that.

Borrow lots of different type of gear as well to see what you like. Even though I pretty much have the gear I need to dive for the moment I am still always borrowing stuff if the offer is there just to see if I can improve on things and to get a feel for what gear I like.

Note, this advice is based on your long term goals... if you just plan to stick to rec diving the gear you have listed is fine :) Cave diving and so forth is a bit different and needs more thought put into what gear will be appropriate.

Sound advice regarding the gear so far.

Eco Dive Center recently told a friend of mine that all bp/w rigs were built in the same factory in Europe including Deep Sea Supply, so he should just by an OMS set up from them.

Knowing the owner of DSS well and seeing his factory in PASADENA this really really pissed me off. Knowing that they will flat out lie to a customer about a local made in the USA company I no longer have any respect for them. Their actions are disgraceful but efficient at making sales.

I also went on one of their charters a few years ago. They were the only shop I've ever see DM a trip and never bother with conducting a diver roll call before leaving the dive site, instead they just counted rigs to make sure there were enough on the boat.

For future purchases I'd strongly suggest the shop in Hollywood that you visited.

Thanks Sas. While its true that I'll replace much of my equipment between now and when I need outfitted for cave diving, your perspectives are invaluable. I'll probably go with analog gauges for now and worry about a dive computer down the line, but I'm definitely getting a conventional octopus instead of the Air2. Also, I like listening to you describe the tools of your adventures.

Cody- As a practice, I will give people a chance to make a first-person impression, however I still keep warnings like yours in mind, and I'll be wary. Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom