Buying first regulator -- some questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FPDocMatt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Okay, I just bought my first BC online, haven't gotten it in the mail yet. Bought the Scuba Pro Glide. (Not the one with Air 2.) So now I need a regulator.

The first thing I notice looking at regulators is that what I thought was a regulator isn't a regulator. I thought the whole thing you attach to the tank after attaching your BC to the tank is a regulator. I mean, I knew about the first stage and the second stage, but I thought the other stuff--the octopus, the gauge, and the low-pressure inflator--were all part of the regulator. Apparently not.

So I guess I need to buy the octopus and the gauge separately?

And the low-pressure inflator? Or is that part of the BC that I bought?

After looking at a couple of regulator buying guides on-line, it looks like the Sherwood SR1 Plus might be a good first regulator. What do you think?

Thanks!

Hi Matt. You are correct,... typically the way most regulators come, unless you are purchasing a package set (& then usually they are not assembled) is with only the 1st stage & the primary second stage. The octo & gauges are also separate pieces. Most new BC's come with the inflator hose, if it is used, it may be hit or miss.

What regulator you decide on, you should look at a couple of things. It is best if you only have to buy once. 1. What type of diving do you plan to do? You want a regulator that will perform as you need it to in any diving you plan to do. 2. Look at what the local dive shops carry. You will likely want to go with a type that can be serviced locally. Sure, you can ship it off to be serviced, but will it be worth the delay in your diving waiting for it to ship, be serviced, then shipped back?

That said, the SR1 is a balanced regulator & balanced regulators tend to breathe easier than non balanced regulators. At one point the SR1 had a lot of mechanical problems a couple of years ago. I do not know if this is still true or not, the problems may have finally been engineered out. I do not dive Sherwood products, so have not kept up, but do remember seeing several threads on the site about the issues. You may want to do a search.

Matt as you have discovered all those parts come together to form your regulator however you must purchase the parts separately to assemble your complete reg....and I do mean assemble, you will have to put it together if you buy on line. Typically, the LP inflator hose comes with the BC. A new reg needs to be functionally checked out and often times adjusted. It will likely function out of the box but may need to be adjusted to get the best performance out of it. Your LDS may not be much help, some get down right nasty when ask to assemble and check your on line purchase, nor are they likely to be much help if you need warranty service. At best you can expect them to charge you a service fee and rightfully so. This is especially true if you purchase a brand they do not carry. I know you can save a little money on line but IMO a new divers first regs are worth the extra cost of a LDS unless there are no local shops or they are all are providing poor customer service. In addition, where are you going to get it serviced? Your regs will need service from time to time and if you follow the manufactures schedule, that is either every year or every other year. Your LDS may service your regs for you but only if they sell the brand you purchased, another reason to purchase locally or at the very least purchase a brand they carry.

I am usually not one to suggest a particular brand or model because most regs on the market within a given price range are pretty good and compare well with one exception.....the SR-1. I am a big fan of the older style Sherwoods, they were not fancy but rock solid dependable regs, the SR-1 on the other hand is the one the exception. Most regs on the market today follow one of several time tested basic designs, the SR-1 is like nothing else on the market. Either the designers were on drugs or the marketing department designed it. It is way over engineered, full of unique parts (which may become difficult to get in a few years) and has been plagued with problems since it was introduced. Of all the regs on the market, that is the single reg I would suggest you avoid, regardless of price. I do suggest that if you choose not to buy from a LDS, at least purchase a brand that they sell. If they are a good shop, then at least you will have somewhere local you can get your service work done.

I have to echo what Herman said. The older Sherwoods are as simple and rugged as a brick. I have recommended them many times. The current ones-- SR-1, and right angle style Brut, and Magnum need a far longer track record before I would recommend them.

IMO a "quality" LDS can be of real service to a new diver. It is worth paying a LITTLE more, if necessary, for the convenience and counsel.

That said, the SR1 is a balanced regulator & balanced regulators tend to breathe easier than non balanced regulators. At one point the SR1 had a lot of mechanical problems a couple of years ago. I do not know if this is still true or not, the problems may have finally been engineered out. I do not dive Sherwood products, so have not kept up, but do remember seeing several threads on the site about the issues. You may want to do a search.

To the best of my knowlege they still haven't worked out the issue of the SR1 freeflowing. They were made aware of this problem a few years ago and if they made any improvements that would be news to our shop. If you need more info, search "SR1 freeflow" and read the post in the manufacturers threads.

Well, I have an SR-1. I haven't had a problem with it. When I had it serviced I did have to take it back and get it adjusted but it has never free-flowed nor has it blown up.

My experience has been that the problem can pop up at any time, once while at 95 feet in the Straits of Miackinaw and another while standing in 4 feet at the pool doing an intro to scuba. I just wouldn't trust them!

Matt, you have a Scubapro B.C., I would stay with Scubapro for your regulator. It will make it easier to service your gear if it is all the same brand.

Did you save any money buying your B.C. on-line? I doult that you did. The game has changed. The big on-line SCUBA sites are authorized dealers now and are selling at Manufacturers Advertised Price, MAP. For Scubapro, MAP is the same as MSRP, Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price.

Matt, you have a Scubapro B.C., I would stay with Scubapro for your regulator. It will make it easier to service your gear if it is all the same brand.
Spoken like a true SP only dealer ....

There is NO correlation between ease of service and having the same brand of BCD and regulator. The parts kits for one do not include parts kits for the other. Many shops will sell and service SP alongside AquaLung / Mares / Sherwood / Atomic, etc. Find the best regulator that you can afford in your price category. Although it isn't fancy, the AquaLung Titan is a workhorse reg, easy to get parts, easy to service, and common around the world if you're diving somewhere off the beaten track and find yourself in need of service or parts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom