Buying first regulator -- some questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you have a different B.C., different 1st stage, 2nd stage, oct and computer from 5 different brands, then it will be very difficult. Even with two different brands, it could be a problem if the service center does not services both brands.

If all of your gear is the same brand, it will be easier to find one service center to service your gear.

We service " in house " what we sell.

Most dive shops follow suit.

Matt,

I'm new to the game as well, and kind of in your same boat. What I am doing is, I am researching on line the different brands and features. I am checking product reviews and threads here on Scubaboard. Once I had an idea of what I wanted, THEN I went to my LDS's. This way I can find the LDS's that A) Has the products I am interested in. B) Has good customer service. C) Has a good track record of service work.

Not sure how many LDS's are in your area, but there are a bunch in mine. Do your homework.... Buy from an LDS.... Listen to the professionals.

Matt, you have a Scubapro B.C., I would stay with Scubapro for your regulator. It will make it easier to service your gear if it is all the same brand.

That line may work on newbies, but you will have a tough time getting that crap past an experienced diver.

I have a different slant. I buy USA made when possible and that means Zeagle. They are an American company and the regulators are made in Zephyrhills, Florida, not China. I dive a 50D/ZX model but there are several options. They are sold and serviced by several diveshops in Denver, but I have my service done by Scubatoys or TDI so local service does not mean much to me. Service costs have gotten silly absurd here locally almost 1/3 the cost of the new reg which is foolish.

I am American and I buy USA products when possible and that means Zeagle. The good news is they make one of the best regulators on the market, and it is easy to service.

Other USA made diving products are Manta Ray fins, Force Fins, Atomic regulators and DSS Backplates to name a few.

That line may work on newbies, but you will have a tough time getting that crap past an experienced diver.
I would venture to bet that Scubapro is the #1 reg. among experienced divers.

Matt, you have a Scubapro B.C., I would stay with Scubapro for your regulator. It will make it easier to service your gear if it is all the same brand.

Did you save any money buying your B.C. on-line? I doult that you did. The game has changed. The big on-line SCUBA sites are authorized dealers now and are selling at Manufacturers Advertised Price, MAP. For Scubapro, MAP is the same as MSRP, Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price.

Oh no, I've been using my sp regs with a Sherwood bcd and oceanic regs with a hog wing... Glad I'm still alive... :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom