Buying Equipment for OW class online

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

if a shop is willing to price match thats a whole different deal ,but just like the shop in in business to make money the consumer needs to find the best deal for themselves

Go ahead, find the best deal. Nothing wrong with that.

It is abusive and unethical to cost the shop in time, inventory handling, expertise by which they earn their living, etc. when you have no intention of buying there. If it is a legitimate window shopping or comparison shopping expedition, why not be up front about it?

Self interest does not trump ethical and moral.

dont get me wrong im not saying to to do all your browsing and fitting at the dive shop then turn around and buy online only to come back to the shop and expect a deal on anything but theres needs to be a healthy balance ive spent ,plenty! of money at my dive shop but at the same time I've been there looking at merch that ive also found better priced online and haven't thought twice about getting the better deal

If you have no intentions of giving the LDS a chance then order it all online. If it doesn't fit then it is on you to return it and reorder until you find what fits. Might not be such a good deal after you spend time and money returning something 2 or 3 times until you figure out what fits.

Using the LDS for a fitting room and buying on line makes for stories on Scubaboard. People do it and then when you need something quick they wonder why the owner isn't exactly helpful.

Yes the consumer should look for their deal..BUT not at the expense of a LDS to use their inventory and time as a fitting room..people who do this type of thing soon find out that they are unwelcome for any activities. Sort of like when your friends realize you are using them for your own benefit, they are not rude to you, but you will notice that you will never be invited anywhere .

It is a two way street.

Most LDS's will do anything they can, legally, to separate a diver from his $$$. Smart divers will seek the best deals and do everything they can to get them at the best price. When the two goal are compatible, sellers and divers can both come out happy. It is not illegal to shop even when you have no intention to buy. A good retailer might even be able to change your mind with an offer you can't refuse.

dont get me wrong im not saying to to do all your browsing and fitting at the dive shop then turn around and buy online only to come back to the shop and expect a deal on anything but theres needs to be a healthy balance ive spent ,plenty! of money at my dive shop but at the same time I've been there looking at merch that ive also found better priced online and haven't thought twice about getting the better deal

You advised the OP to try / size at the LDS and then buy online. This is unethical. There is no healthy balance of unethical.

There is a healthy balance of local versus online purchases, and I do it myself. I have not, will not, try on at the LDS and buy online. Not in my character.

When I bought a full suit online, I accepted that it might not fit properly and in fact had to do an exchange. Cost me extra in shipping. Oh well.

When I bought a hooded vest I bought it locally and got the fit right the first time. I paid a little extra - not a lot - for the convenience in time and money.

It is a cost versus convenience decision. It should not be a conscious decision to cost a small business money so you can save money.

how much is the "small businesses" profit on a bc or wetsuit, or how about when someone walks into a shop just lookjng for fins mask and snorkel not knowing anythin about diving or even intending on diving just wanting to snorkel or get sum gear for a vaca and then get upsold some expensive mask fins and snorkel under the guise that it would be better for them or this is what they need...thats unethical not someone tryin to keep some cash in their pocket

---------- Post added March 23rd, 2014 at 11:17 PM ----------

you act as if theres a line waiting to get into the dive shop and every employee is busy with someone...every shop ive been in im the only one in there most of the time so if it werent for me regaurdless if im buying or not the employees would be doing nothin

thanks for all the quick great replies, I understand what you mean about the fitment, especially the mask. I am rather frugal, but I definitely know when it matters to not worry about saving money and go with what works best for you. :)

how much is the "small businesses" profit on a bc or wetsuit, or how about when someone walks into a shop just lookjng for fins mask and snorkel not knowing anythin about diving or even intending on diving just wanting to snorkel or get sum gear for a vaca and then get upsold some expensive mask fins and snorkel under the guise that it would be better for them or this is what they need...thats unethical not someone tryin to keep some cash in their pocket

---------- Post added March 23rd, 2014 at 11:17 PM ----------

you act as if theres a line waiting to get into the dive shop and every employee is busy with someone...every shop ive been in im the only one in there most of the time so if it werent for me regaurdless if im buying or not the employees would be doing nothin

Everyone has their own standards.

To me, whether they are busy when I walk in or not, their time and expertise is worth something. If they choose to offer it to me gratias, I am happy to accept, but I will not get there by deceit. There is nothing inherently unethical in trying to keep cash in your pocket, but that does not mean that all manners of doing so are ethical.

The ethics of any given salesperson are a separate discussion. As a prudent consumer it is incumbent upon me to protect myself from being taken advantage of.

I don't subscribe to the position that it is ok to screw someone else because they would (might) screw me given the chance. I don't base my ethical decisions on what someone else may or may not do, but rather on what I think I should do.

Anyway, you clearly have an idea of what you believe is OK and not OK and it is unlikely anything I say here will change that even though I clearly disagree with that position.

It is up to the OP to decide what kind of consumer s/he wants to be.

It is up to the OP to decide what kind of consumer s/he wants to be.

well we agree on that at least.. they can either be a smart consumer or a Canadian consumer... just kidding we are all smart in our own way

---------- Post added March 24th, 2014 at 12:23 AM ----------

:gas:

Orderliness on line for shipping to the UAE is a pain so we rely on either or LDS or waiting til someone goes home ordering it online and shipping it to their home address and they bring it back.

Last year I resumed diving - went to my LDS and got a full kit. I was between sizes on my BC so took the one that fitted the best and was in the beget I'd set myself. fast forward some dives later and I was hating this BC - tried someone else's wing, fell in love and went back to my LDS. This shop also does courses so has rental gear. After discussing the deal they did was this. Took my as new BC back for their rental stock and refunded me their cost price for it. As I was buying a wing (and some more tanks) I was given extra discount which effectively meant I got a full refund from my BC against new gear.

Try that online!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom