Buying Equipment for OW class online

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

igneous

Registered
Reaction score
Im doing my open water class in a couple weeks, and was hoping to buy the mask, fins, and snorkel online if possible. As much as I would like to support local shops, I have a lot of credit on Amazon that I would prefer to use instead to save me some money. Any suggestions for equipment I can get on Amazon? I look forward to diving, but I'm not sure how many times a year Ill really end up doing it. Of course I don't want complete junk equipment either, so thats why I'm asking here. I've been looking through the posts on equipment and its very overwhelming, but I'm trying to soak in as much as I can. :)

Im doing my open water class in a couple weeks, and was hoping to buy the mask, fins, and snorkel online if possible. As much as I would like to support local shops, I have a lot of credit on Amazon that I would prefer to use instead to save me some money. Any suggestions for equipment I can get on Amazon? I look forward to diving, but I'm not sure how many times a year Ill really end up doing it. Of course I don't want complete junk equipment either, so thats why I'm asking here. I've been looking through the posts on equipment and its very overwhelming, but I'm trying to soak in as much as I can. :)
if your completely set on buying from amazon i would suggest goin to different dive shops trying on different equipment and if and when you find what you like look for that on amazon

You have to try the mask first!!!!!

also when looking for fins have on the wet suit boots you intend on buying when you try your fins on ...the boots could bethe difference between a pair of fins fitting properly and not

Please keep in mind that I'm a fellow Amazon lover when I say this.

For your OW equipment, it generally encompasses mask, snorkel, boots, and fins. Fit on these is truly what matters most.

I'd recommend avoiding the temptation to go to Amazon for these... head town to your LDS or wherever you're taking your lessons and talk to them. Try on masks, and find the one that fits you best. Find the boots that fit you best, and find the fins that fit well with those boots. That's all REALLY hard to do online.

There's absolutely a LOT of scuba gear you can get online. But mask, boots, and fins, I highly recommend buying in person for best results.

Fins- find a pair that is highly rated, and is mentioned as kicking easily. Hard to screw up fins.
Snorkel- hard to screw this up too, find a highly rated one. You probably don't need it to be "dry".

Mask- you MUST get this in person. Otherwise, you'll have a poor fit, and a rough time in class.

if your completely set on buying from amazon i would suggest goin to different dive shops trying on different equipment and if and when you find what you like look for that on amazon
when you go to the LDS first let them know you are there to just get the right size and that you plan on buying online..here is an example..
Had a person walk into LDS yesterday and after I greeted him I asked what can I do him today. His answer was that he was there to try on BCDS..So I said great that that you are buying one today. His reply was that he was only going to try them on to get proper size and then he would buy online!
Most of you can imagine what I said..it was on the line of that I am sorry but I cannot assist him and that this facility is not a fitting room. His mother walked in on us and claimed she was renting at a island resort, not buying on line. I explained that the resort will size him on arrival there and if he was to purchase here we match online sales and as a plus, our customers get to use the gear in our onsite pool at no charge. She had ordered a pair of boots that we normally do not stock less than a week ago and we had it in. She actually tried it on and then said it fit ok,but she ordered a pair online and was waiting for delivery. We had a $10. Deposit on it and wanted it refunded. Told her store credit only,so sold her a mesh bag for additional $16. Plus the $10. She had on deposit. I really Do not care to see these people again.
The absolute nerve of these people is beyond rude. Use a facility inventory and staff time to then go home and order online, after I informed them that we match prices.

when you go to the LDS first let them know you are there to just get the right size and that you plan on buying online..here is an example..
Had a person walk into LDS yesterday and after I greeted him I asked what can I do him today. His answer was that he was there to try on BCDS..So I said great that that you are buying one today. His reply was that he was only going to try them on to get proper size and then he would buy online!
Most of you can imagine what I said..it was on the line of that I am sorry but I cannot assist him and that this facility is not a fitting room. His mother walked in on us and claimed she was renting at a island resort, not buying on line. I explained that the resort will size him on arrival there and if he was to purchase here we match online sales and as a plus, our customers get to use the gear in our onsite pool at no charge. She had ordered a pair of boots that we normally do not stock less than a week ago and we had it in. She actually tried it on and then said it fit ok,but she ordered a pair online and was waiting for delivery. We had a $10. Deposit on it and wanted it refunded. Told her store credit only,so sold her a mesh bag for additional $16. Plus the $10. She had on deposit. I really Do not care to see these people again.
The absolute nerve of these people is beyond rude. Use a facility inventory and staff time to then go home and order online, after I informed them that we match prices.
This. An independent dive shop is not a showroom for the big online guys.

The local dive shops provide service that you don't get with the big guys. Don't try to get the service free AND save money by buying online.

if a shop is willing to price match thats a whole different deal ,but just like the shop in in business to make money the consumer needs to find the best deal for themselves

---------- Post added March 23rd, 2014 at 10:44 PM ----------

its like sayin you shouldnt go to a local retail store try on clothes or whatever and then buy online if theres a better deal

if a shop is willing to price match thats a whole different deal ,but just like the shop in in business to make money the consumer needs to find the best deal for themselves
Yes the consumer should look for their deal..BUT not at the expense of a LDS to use their inventory and time as a fitting room..people who do this type of thing soon find out that they are unwelcome for any activities. Sort of like when your friends realize you are using them for your own benefit, they are not rude to you, but you will notice that you will never be invited anywhere .

Back
Top Bottom