Buying dive gear in Singapore in April

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

outpost31

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi Guys,

I've got just a few hours in Singapore b4 flying onto Bali and I thought about getting some cheap equipment so I need some advice please. (I've already checked out the Dive Shops in Singapore thread-last updated in Aug). Originally, I thought about buying a Suunto Vyper but I don't know if i'd save enough to make it worth it (It's about £200 in UK- S$450) plus I'd rather have the warranty for something like that. So, three things:

Is there one location you can recommend that has 3 or more shops to compare prices and how much/cheapest way to get there from airport? I only have a few hours!

Would it be worth the savings if all I want to buy is smaller stuff like a cheap Torch, 3mm Hood, Long Sleeve Rash Vest? Or are there any shops for this in the airport?

Also, does anyone know if I can get a Sealife DC800 EXT FLash there? In the UK it's about £300, which is about S$680.

Many thanks
Chris

Good question. If you compare prices of Singapore to Uk you will always find it cheaper in SIngapore because the VAT is 12 % lower in Singapore and the Sing dollar is closly aligned to the US$ plus some added cost to ship in.

Anyway:
- From airplane thru immigration/customs will take you 10 minutes
- Walk and wait fort airort will take you 10 minutes
- taxi ride to Dive shops near Jolan Sultan (like 6 shops within a 5 minutes walk of each other).will take 20 minutes. So from the airplane to the dive shops will take you less than 40 minutes. If you were to pick up bags it would take you an added 5 minutes.
- Pretty efficient place and the same on return.
- Taxi at airport is easy to get in line and volia they are there.
- When looking for a taxi in the city, best to go to a hotrl and wait in line.

You can find all that you seek here in Singapore. I do not work at any shop but will send you a pm as to suggestion.

Good luck

Hey Bronson,

Thanks for the comment and PM, very helpful comments!
I'll email Waikiki for some prices. I've heard prices depend greatly on bargaining, so what ever prices they quote me, how much less/% can I expect to get away with when I'm there in person?

Many thanks
Chris

In April, think many of the shops would have ADEX specials... For sure, Oceanic would have some items on sale... & their 3mm wetsuit is inexpensive (full suit starts fr less than S$100, not those high tech ones). :D It always tempts me to get a new one...

Hi,

I've tried emailing Waikiki and Diveshop@sg but had no response from either of them!

The singapore sites I've seen don't have products or prices on their web sites so can anyone tell me the prices for:

3mm hood
Cheap Torches
Men's long-sleeve rash vest
Sealife DC800 Ext Flash

Thanks
Chris

U can get cheap u/w torches from the "Army Market" at the 3rd level of the Golden Mile Food Centre (Beach Road). There are several dive-shops within 20mins walking distance...
anyway i bought my UK40 halogen dive torch for S$28! :D (but it was abt 3yrs ago...)
Is your Rash vest = rash guard?

Xariatay:

Cheers, I'll check it out. I'm looking for a UV rash vest for snorkeling.

I just wondering if it's worth you picking these small items up online in the UK?
The prices there seem to be good and very transparent. Since the items you're buying may not add up to much (forgive me, i'm guessing!) the likelihood of a significant discount is remote.

BTW - i've not lived in the UK for a while and online prices there now seem to be pretty good. I picked up some items in Hong Kong a few weeks ago and prices are comparable to UK online prices after discount (regs/wetsuit/fins plus a load of accessories so bungled with a good discount). I think HK is cheaper for scuba kit than Singapore in general although am happy to be corrected on this.

Hi Alc16,

Cheers for the reply. Yeah there probably isn't a lot of difference in price for small items if I buy online in the uk but I'd rather try on the hood and vest to see how they fit (I've now decided to buy a thermal vest-possibly one with a hood) and prices are more expensive in local dive shops here.

But I may be interested in getting my second Ext flash for my sealife DC800 in Singapore depending on price. Has anyone bought one in singapore recently?

Good question. If you compare prices of Singapore to Uk you will always find it cheaper in SIngapore because the VAT is 12 % lower in Singapore and the Sing dollar is closly aligned to the US$ plus some added cost to ship in.

Anyway:
- From airplane thru immigration/customs will take you 10 minutes
- Walk and wait fort airort will take you 10 minutes
- taxi ride to Dive shops near Jolan Sultan (like 6 shops within a 5 minutes walk of each other).will take 20 minutes. So from the airplane to the dive shops will take you less than 40 minutes. If you were to pick up bags it would take you an added 5 minutes.
- Pretty efficient place and the same on return.
- Taxi at airport is easy to get in line and volia they are there.
- When looking for a taxi in the city, best to go to a hotrl and wait in line.

You can find all that you seek here in Singapore. I do not work at any shop but will send you a pm as to suggestion.

Good luck

I don't think it is necessarily true. it may just be the "fair faced expat" tax, but generally prices here are higher than the UKL. Ihave brought in quite a bit of genuine stuff from the UK, at a lower price, even including shipping and import (7% gst here rather than 17.5 % at home).

Also, the Pound has tanked, so the exchange rate is horrendous buying in Singapore with UK£.

Examples such as the $12 for a 2lb lead block, because they ship it from the US.....

Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom