Buying a used reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rcsoar4fun

Registered
Reaction score
I am looking around at regs right now, leaning towards an Oceanic Alpha 8/PX3. It will be perfect for what I need for now and I don't mind upgrading as needed in the future. Having said that, how "safe" is it to buy used from here or ebay and then send off to be serviced? Anyone had back luck doing it? What to look for?

I have never bought a new reg. My first set was a Mares set from a LDS. Great deal and they serviced them as well. Then I bought my second pair from http://www.scubatoys.com/ on there used section. I got a great deal on Aeris DVT. Which is the same company as Oceanic. From ScubaToys they gave me a one year warranty. You also need to know that if you buy used you don't get free parts at service. Except if you buy from Scubatoys they will honor parts on used if you let them service your regs. Good Luck.

ebay is a great place to buy used/new gear. They have a new buyer protecton now that will cover your price and shipping if the item is not what you ordered. They also have an actual resolution center to help you if things didn't work out. Many sellers on ebay have been around for a long time as you can tell from their volume sales and ratings. If you buy from a reputable seller you should be pretty safe and some has return policy as well.

Im not indicating buying from other sites is no good, this is just my personal opinion.

Last edited:
I have bought several new regs and have had no issue's Just make sure you get them serviced professionally before diving them.

If you buy used (even new from an unknown source) you'll need to service it anyway so the warranty is not an issue. After serviced, your warranty is reinstated and just keep it up every year after. A professional dive shop will service your regs no matter where you get it. You'll have to pay for the parts.

If you buy used (even new from an unknown source) you'll need to service it anyway so the warranty is not an issue. After serviced, your warranty is reinstated and just keep it up every year after. A professional dive shop will service your regs no matter where you get it. You'll have to pay for the parts.

I agree. I would also get a new mouthpiece but that is just me. So yes get them serviced before using them.

I am looking around at regs right now, leaning towards an Oceanic Alpha 8/PX3. It will be perfect for what I need for now and I don't mind upgrading as needed in the future. Having said that, how "safe" is it to buy used from here or ebay and then send off to be serviced? Anyone had back luck doing it? What to look for?

I've had very good luck (and great deals) buying used regs on ebay then servicing them myself. I was very selective, and waited for the regulator I was looking for and the right price.

Buying on ebay can be a "buyer beware" situation, so:

1.) Know what you are looking for,
2.) Know what you are looking at (in the pictures and descriptions),
3.) Know for sure that parts are still available for the reg you are interested in, and where you will have it serviced, and how much the service will cost,
4.) Know what a "good deal" is on this reg.

The cost of service (and availability of service) is often the deal-breaker when buying on ebay. Be really careful to factor that in.

I do see regulators selling for way too much (in my opinion) sometimes; it seems that folks get into a bidding frenzy. Other times, regs go for less than they are worth. So you just need to be patient.

Oh, and be sure to ask any and all questions before bidding (if you want to see more pictures, confirm shipping costs, whatever). You can usually tell if it is a diver (or dive shop) selling the regulator, versus a pawn shop. You are more likely to get a good accurate description from a diver based on what I've seen on ebay.

Good luck with whatever you decide, and have fun!

Best wishes.

I agree about knowing what you are buying on Ebay. People get stupid sometimes. I actually bought a BC on there years ago, not a bad deal, but had a sticky inflator. I guess you win some, loose some.

I would love to buy from one of the LDS, but one of them is a little pricey. I looked at a Alpha 8 and it was $385, just a bit steep. Another one I wouldn't trust to service my lawn mower.

Not true. With perhaps a few exceptions, limited warranties on scuba gear are not transferable. Reinstatement only applies to the original owner and only one manufacturer that I know of.

The risk with a used reg from ebay is strictly financial. I have about 30 stages that I acquired from ebay with nothing but pleasant surprises. But, if you are not sure what you are doing, get help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom