Buying a dry suit both for warm and cold water (avoiding to buy wetsuit)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sbiriguda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I already have a 3mm wetsuit for the swimming pool and for traveling abroad in warm places.
I would like to buy only a trilaminate suit without buying any wetsuit. The use would be both in warm and in cold waters. During winter I would use it in the Italian lakes, some of them alpine lakes, very cold water and cold temperature outside especially in the mountains
During summer I would like to use them mostly in Liguria, which is warm but still not as warm as tropical countries. People mostly use 5mm wetsuits
I have been suggested to use:

1) Winter: trilaminate drysuit + 400 g undergarment (I think this is the English word)
2) Summer: same trilaminate drysuit + 100g undergarment

With undergarment I mean something like this:
Scubapro Sottomuta Subgear Subtech 490

If possible I would like to buy used

What do you think, is that a good idea?

I did and still dive that way. Only in the tropics during multiple (boat) dives I leave my drysuit home.

Thank you for the feedback
Do you have any specific suggestions for the drysuit and the undergarments?

I'm a pretty new diver, and am trying to do the same thing as you. I have a 3mm Henderson Aqualock wetsuit, and bought a DUI TLS-350 on eBay along with the DUI 400g/m^2 undergarments. Used those in my drysuit cert class in 5C water and was toasty warm. Was out this weekend in 12-18C water, wore long underwear (top and bottom) with a fleece on top. (And my 3mm wetsuit gloves and hood). Lots of used stuff on eBay and the for sale section on this site.

Probably going to grow to several different undergarments. I have 3 different sets depending on the temperature.
Shop around for something that fits. Most experience is simply because that person happens to own it and it works for them. Any good suit will work. But fit is important.

I have 1.5, 3, 5, and 7mm wetsuits, plus a trilam drysuit. The only one I kind of regret buying is the 7mm wetsuit. I will always choose my drysuit over wearing the 7mm.

There are more factors in choosing exposure protection than simply the water temperature. There are some temperatures where I would choose my 5mm wetsuit for certain dives, but choose my drysuit for other dives at the same temperature. As my suits eventually get worn out, I think I will probably not replace the 3mm and the 7mm. The 1.5 and 5mm wetsuits and a drysuit are all I really need.

Your plan for the trilam suit plus a set of light and a set of heavy undergarments sounds like a good one, to me.

If your budget is for "used" prices, you might still have a look at Seaskin drysuits and undergarments. Their suits are made-to-measure and the prices are low enough to compete well with used gear from other brands.

Dry Suits from Seaskin Custom Drysuits home page - Seaskin Custom Diving Suits

I ordered myself a Seaskin Nova (trilam) suit, with a full set of their undergarments, a couple of weeks ago and am eagerly awaiting its arrival (but it will still be 5 or 6 more weeks).

I couldn’t be happier with the DUI FLX Extreme I recently purchased. I dive a dry suit year round in Florida and have two different undergarments. It works perfect for me. I haven’t worn a wetsuit in probably 7 years.

Good advice too...
Another option would be:

A) 3 mm Decathlon wetsuit for pool and warm seas (already bought)
B) 5.5 mm salopettes + 5.5 jacket also Decathlon
45 - Diving - M SCD 100 5.5mm DVG salopettes
45 - Diving - SUBEA Men's 5.5 mm wetsuit jacket
C) Drysuit for rent, to be purchased later

Trilam suit is much more expensive, it makes sense only if you are already sure that you will practice scuba continously (I do want that, but can't be 100% sure)

I checked Seaskin sounds nice, if it's possible to get it used in good condition could be really good

I have a new Scubapro Evertec Drysuit size xxl that I would sell...also own the Fourth Element Arctic top and bottom in new condition as well. Both are in new condition, have never seen water, and seldom out of the original case. I purchased with the expectation of gettin drysuit certified but all of my buddies dive wet. PM me if your interested. I can workout price and pictures and will ship.

Attachments

• drysuit2.jpg
    drysuit2.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 41
  • drysuit1.jpg
    drysuit1.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 42

Back
Top Bottom