Buying a dry suit both for warm and cold water (avoiding to buy wetsuit)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a new Scubapro Evertec Drysuit size xxl that I would sell...also own the Fourth Element Arctic top and bottom in new condition as well. Both are in new condition, have never seen water, and seldom out of the original case. I purchased with the expectation of gettin drysuit certified but all of my buddies dive wet. PM me if your interested. I can workout price and pictures and will ship.
You have a PM

I am reconsidering my idea
In northern Italy we need dry suit only to dive in the lakes during winter when the visibility is high in the lakes and low in the sea. Some people choose trilaminate dry suit and use it with different undergarments both in the lakes in winter and in the sea in autumn and even summer. There are some advantages, but also some disadvantages. Overall trilaminate is more expensive than neoprene and this applies both compared to ‘semi-dry’ suits and neoprene drysuits. Also, using trilaminate all the year implies more consumption of the trilam drysuit.
I am considering buying a vulgar 5 mm + 5 mm 2 pieces wetsuit for summer. I like the 2 pieces design especially salopettes + jacket. I am thinking of freediving/spearfishing wetsuits, not the seamless ones, which are not robust enough for scuba equipment weight. This freediving type + salopettes which should be better than scuba suits and comparable to semi dry

https://m.maxisport.com/mares-giacca_instinct_5mm-422459-582.html

Then for winter or lakes I would buy a neoprene drysuit. With the same money I could buy a new one and probably better quality

Also, during summer I would use a wetsuit which is more comfortable than drysuit

In Italy I was used to use the 5mm in the Summer and dry suit in the winter, I relegate the 3mm only to the tropics. Now I'm enjoying the benefit of the drysuit in the Summer as well, especially when you have multiple dives in a day: stay dry and comfortable is great thing, I only take the 5mm with me when travelling.
Anyway the only option to use a dry suit in the summer is IMO to go with the trilaminate: you have more room to use different undergarments (I use a 90gr in the summer and the santi flex 190 in the winter with an additional layer under it if it's really cold). A neoprene drysuit has too much thermal protection (even without a undergarment) to be used in the August hot days in Italy (the issue is always when out of the water, even if you dress at last second.. it still a pain).

I think you are right, and that would be my first option. Still, the price of trilam suits is very high
For me scuba by now is just a hobby, it doesn't make sense (at least not now) to make such an investment
So buying a 5mm would be a cheaper option for summer and neoprene drysuit a suit to be used in winter or lakes

If it's for the summer and you dunno how it will goes in 3 months from now.. then yes, a 5mm is the best (and almost inexpensive) option.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom