Buy Luna used or Perdix AI new

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mth1993

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am a fairly novice diver about 70 dives who never plans on doing multi gas but use nitrox. I flooded my used oceanic atom (my fault after battery change). The atom was really too small for my eyes and the user interface was cumbersome to me. I really like AI and am going to be buying a new DC before summer.

I understand the Perdix AI is new and has a lot of people excited, but from a functional per incremental cost view. What would you buy, a used Luna $325-450 less $150-175 for selling my oceanic AI transmitter, so my cost $175-300 or Perdix AI for $863 with shipping? Why?

Pros of each:

Luna
-minimum $550 savings
-it is what shop and many I dive with uses
-4-8x longer battery life, less chances for me to cause a flood
-proven long-term reliability except need to confirm recall was done if serial number is between 150422-0058-001 and 150903-0338-005

Perdix Ai
-new with warranty
-much better display 55.8mm lcd 329x240 vs b&w lcd 45mm
-Bluetooth computer interface allowing future smartphone/tablet integration vs IR that can be issue with newer versions of windows.
-availability of standard aa batteries
-includes brackets for bungee mount and better base straps
-less bulky 81x71x38 (but contoured 110 cm3) 152g vs ??? , 280 g
-newer technology

I could not find dimensions or screen resolution of luna, so if you know please share.

Being a geek I really want the newest tech but don't see the benefits to the extra cost.

Side note, how many dives should a computer realistic last? Assuming I don't flood it.

Neither.
Unless you are dead keen on AI otherwise any new computer selling under US$200.00 is fine.
I am waiting for the eventual appearance of Deep Computer(US$139.00). But not sure for how long, I am afraid!

If you can afford it, go for the Perdix.

Now that the Perdix AI is out, there are quite a few of the older Petrel/Perdix available. Unless you're insisting on AI, one of these would be the way to go. In addition, the Shearwaters run standard Buhlmann GF or VPM, not some proprietary deco algorithm.

If you can afford it, go for the Perdix.

I agree with this, but on the other hand, you won't be using about 90% of it's awesomeness. I have a Petral, and love it, but then multi gas deco dives are my typical dive... And I feel like I only use a fraction of it's capabilities.

Having said that, the crappy little "puck" computers, mostly made by Seiko, but sold by everyone, failed me on a regular basis. They seemed to have a 2-3 year lifespan before dieing... usually mid-dive, necessitating having two of them.

My Petral has not been perfect... I started getting an error message, but Shearwater's legendary service had me sorted out in no time.

If you don't need AI, I've seen a lot of barely used Perdix for $500-600.

Don't discount the classified ads on this site either. I just bough a brand new Perdix AI, and saved about $200 when you take tax into account. Can't beat that IMO.

Keep the transmitter you have and buy the Perdix AI.

Buy a Perdix AI and use the transmitter from your Atom. You have already mentioned the display

The Perdix runs a standard decompression algorithm, Buhlmann ZH-L16C with GF. You can use commercially available dive planning software if you would like. In rec mode 45/95 matches DSAT pretty well if that's what you've been using and like it. 40/85 is a pretty close match to PZ+, if that's what you've been using, and it's probably close to your buddies diving Scubapro. In tec mode it's very flexible if the rec GFs turn out to be wrong for you or if your diving changes.

The Luna runs Buhlmann ZH-L8 ADT MB. Scubapro is the only brand using this algorithm, it is not on commercial planning software. The algorithm is generally considered middle of the road in the conservative to liberal spectrum. It has 5 additional, more conservative settings in addition to the baseline algorithm.

You'll likely have your primary computer for a long time, unless you flood it. I've had my Oceanic VT3 for 6 1/2 years and nearly 850 dives. You should buy something you'll be happy with for quite a while.

Keep the transmitter you have and buy the Perdix AI.

Make sure that your transmitter is working with the Perdix. I've had the same idea of using my Luna transmitter with the Perdix AI but according to Shearwater support it doesn't.

Their response to my mail "On Feb 8, 2017, at 2:45 PM, Shearwater Research <Info@shearwater.com> wrote:

No, I am sorry but only transmitters made by Pelagic Pressure Systems will work with the Perdix AI. If the transmitter is marked FCC ID: MH8A, it will work."

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom