Bush ok's Gulf of Mexico Drilling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2Andy:
so your beef is basically we need more nuclear plants and less oil/coal plants?

so why didn't you say that before?

(by the way, many nuclear reactors were built in the 80's, including Beaver Valley 2, Braidwood 1 and 2, and Byron Illinois -- and that's just the B's)
Actually I outlined my proposal for increasing nuclear and strategic use of FBRs in conjunction with existing conventional nuke plants back on post 97 of this thread. While the plants you list did officially get licensed (online) in the 80s, they were all permitted much earlier. In fact, the last nuke plant to come on line was Watts Bar 1 in 1996 for the TVA – but it was originally permitted in the mid 70s and has been delayed by lawsuits and dozens of actions by anti-nuclear groups. Until work started this year under the new Energy Act of 2005, it had been over 25 years since a new plant had been permitted and many of those permitted earlier never made it to completion because of changing regulations and frivolous lawsuits.

MOD POST
Per the TOS which ALL members agreed to when signing up on SB included:
While we encourage discussion about a wide range of subjects, there are certain areas which elicit more animosity and subsequently far more flames. Consequently we ask that discussions involving politics and nationalities or anything of a sexual nature be reserved for other message boards that are better venues for these topics.
I will be cleaning up this thread, removing the political posts. If your post has disappeared, then it A. Contained a political statement, or B. Quoted somebody else's political statement.

Please keep the TOS in mind when responding to not only this thread, but all threads. Thank you.
END MOD POST

yes,
I think that many of us have advocated for Nuclear Power, it's the cleanist form of energy we have created to date(that is cost effecient). And, if we started lobbing our waste into the sun, it would take care of the need to store said waste. Delta rockets are VERY reliable these days........

mrjimboalaska:
yes,
I think that many of us have advocated for Nuclear Power, it's the cleanist form of energy we have created to date(that is cost effecient). And, if we started lobbing our waste into the sun, it would take care of the need to store said waste. Delta rockets are VERY reliable these days........
As much as I enjoy watching the Delta rockets launched from my backyard, I prefer building enough FBRs to use the spent fuel from the conventional reactors as fuel for the breeders – really improves the safety and economics.

mrjimboalaska:
yes,

uhm....

annually we currently produce around 12,000 tons of high level nuclear waste. a delta IV rocket can carries about 12 tons of payload to geostationary orbit maximum. so you're talking about 1,000 delta rockets a year. not only is that expensive, but I'll bet one of those blows up on the launchpad or in the atmosphere with 12 tons of high level nuclear waste on board.

Bill,
Actually you are right(but the space industry could use the business), and the safety margin would be the biggest payoff. But I fear that if we do not get approval to build said FBR's in the near future, our window will be lost for a decade or more...
While I pan to keep my big vehicles, RV and boat, when we settle down and build our retirement home (5-8 years) it will be self sufficient on it's power needs(wind and solar).

lamont:
uhm....

annually we currently produce around 12,000 tons of high level nuclear waste. a delta IV rocket can carries about 12 tons of payload to geostationary orbit maximum. so you're talking about 1,000 delta rockets a year. not only is that expensive, but I'll bet one of those blows up on the launchpad or in the atmosphere with 12 tons of high level nuclear waste on board.
Lamont,
my bad, should have put a smily on that( I WAS joking). Yes, it would not be efficient nor safe to do.

mrjimboalaska:
Lamont,
my bad, should have put a smily on that( I WAS joking). Yes, it would not be efficient nor safe to do.

okay, feeling a little sniffly and sick and uncaffeinated today, i completely missed that...

Bill51:
While the plants you list did officially get licensed (online) in the 80s, they were all permitted much earlier.

believe it or not, i thought of that possibility

Scuba_Jenny:
I will be cleaning up this thread, removing the political posts.

thank you, Jenny, we did cross the line a few times

(love the new avatar, btw)

Glad you like. :)
And yes, I did read every post and got quite the education. Thanks all.

Back
Top Bottom