Bush ok's Gulf of Mexico Drilling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

steeliejim:
what does one do to slow/stop a reaction if there is a serious coolant breech?

well, i would run very fast to the nearest helicopter

but i'm not a pro or nothing

Watch the guy with the critical systems badge, If he starts running try to keep up.

Mafiaman:
Watch the guy with the critical systems badge, If he starts running try to keep up.

dam... fine good thinking

you must be an officer or something

H2Andy:
dam... fine good thinking

you must be an officer or something

And be the one who serves up clients to the scum of the earth, I don't think so.:rofl3:

ReefHound:
Don't get testy because you made a false statement and got called on it. You had previously said "The largest quantity estimate, 400 gallons, is less than 10 barrels (42 US gallons to the US barrel). I think it's commendable the leak was so small" .

I was just pointing out the spill was not a mere 400 gallons as you suggested. I had earlier provided the link to that article for anyone who cared to read it in detail. I guess you didn't or else missed the part about 21,000 gallons.

I think you've been reading the links I've posted as updates (#131 and #175), rather than the info in the link you first posted (#123), that I responded to (#130), which you then posted (#132) the question answered in my post #131. It's all right there in the electrons. Take a look at 10 barrels per day vs. 400 gallons per day, then tell me what leak RATE you came up with from my post.

Please keep the sequence of events and information flow in order. Inaccuracy is a reasonable cause for testiness. I've done my part on maintaining accuracy and not selectively editing when copying others' posts into mine; tell me, why are you making the choices you're making?

WarmWaterDiver:
I think you've been reading the links I've posted as updates (#131 and #175), rather than the info in the link you first posted (#123), that I responded to (#130), which you then posted (#132) the question answered in my post #131. It's all right there in the electrons. Take a look at 10 barrels per day vs. 400 gallons per day, then tell me what leak RATE you came up with from my post.

Please keep the sequence of events and information flow in order. Inaccuracy is a reasonable cause for testiness. I've done my part on maintaining accuracy and not selectively editing when copying others' posts into mine; tell me, why are you making the choices you're making?

Yes, please do keep the sequence in order and stop obfuscating.

Post #123 - I posted the first link to the story, in THIS link it says "Rupture dumps about 21,000 gallons" and "About 21,000 gallons of oil spewed into the Gulf on Sunday". That is the link I read and quoted from, not your updates.

Post #130 - your first reply in response, said "The largest quantity estimate, 400 gallons, is less than 10 barrels (42 US gallons to the US barrel). I think it's commendable the leak was so small". That is your error, 400 gallons was NOT the largest quantity estimate. And nothing about RATE in that statement.

Post #132 - I responded to post #130 with the quote from the original link correcting your error.

All the other links and post numbers you cited are irrelevant and nothing but BS obfuscation on your part. Leak RATE has nothing to do with it. CAUSE of rupture has nothing to do with it. That is the order, it is indisputable, right there in the ELECTRONS. Try to pay attention now.

You said:

"The largest quantity estimate, 400 gallons, is less than 10 barrels"

Patently incorrect. No matter how much one tries to divert the discussion to RATE of flow or CAUSE of rupture or baseless accusations of selective editing.

steeliejim:
Again, thanks for your response. But, politics and bureacracy aside for a moment, I do wonder how, technically, the integrity of liquid sodium coolant lines is better assurred now than in the past, because line leaks are bad enough in any event, but the rupture of a line carrying liquide sodium is potentially worse because of its violent reaction with moisture. Also, since, as I understand it (and I could be wrong--in this case) , FBR's reactions are tempered with sodium flow and not with the insertion of rods, what does one do to slow/stop a reaction if there is a serious coolant breech?
Back in the 60s I did occasionally hang out at the university research reactor when the bars closed and we got bored, and I did stay at a Holiday Inn, but I’m not a nuclear engineer. I can’t answer the details of your question as it’s not my field, and it’s been 5 or 6 years since I was involved in work regarding breeder plants, but I do remember in a sodium cooled breeder the sodium is either completely inside the containment vessel or it’s inside a shielded adjacent room because it’s carrying radioactive isotopes of sodium. Any leak would only contaminate inside a protected area. As to what they use instead of control rods, I don’t know if there’s an easy answer to that as if memory serves this old mind it is in some way controlled by the feed of fuel as opposed to suppression of reaction. I do also remember something about water being able to shut a breeder down pretty fast because it absorbs so many neutrons. All I remember for sure is they had some pretty impressive output figures and great rates of consuming material with a 25,000 year half life and leaving you with something on the order of 25 year half life.

WarmWaterDiver:

We should have a teacher diagram those sentences.

I haven't been reading the links you posted, didn't quote from them, never even opened them.

I didn't ask a question in post #132.

Whether you call it 10 barrels or 400 gallons, you're wrong. The amount initially reported was 21,000 gallons.

I didn't come up with a leak RATE from your post, I was addressing the QUANTITY estimate.

reefhound, are you talking about rate or quantity?

just clearing that up

:wink:

(i am teasing ... your point has been clear from the start)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom