Bush ok's Gulf of Mexico Drilling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2Andy:
reefhound, are you talking about rate or quantity?

just clearing that up

:wink:

(i am teasing ... your point has been clear from the start)

Neither was my point about the cause of the rupture or the environmental effects or viscosity of crude or the promptness of the response or the price of tea in China. :D

H2Andy:
just clearing that up

:wink:
That’s great that we have more than just the ocean microbes clearing this up. I do love my clean oceans. :mooner:

steeliejim, I feel the fear you claim the American people have towards Nuclear energy is over stated, excluding that I believe a paper writen by Hartmut U. Wider, Johan Carlsson, Klaus Dietze and Jürgen Konys at Joint Research Center of the EC, Institute for Energy will address the rest of the concerns you mention.

http://nucleartimes.jrc.nl/Doc/Global03final2.pdf

WarmWaterDiver:
I'm certain the leak described at the link will be investigated as well. Note it was self-reported as soon as it was suspected. This allows maximum availability of response time for action.

The largest quantity estimate, 400 gallons, is less than 10 barrels (42 US gallons to the US barrel). I think it's commendable the leak was so small - I don't know the capacity of this particular pipeline, but the High Island system I'm confident moves more than 10 barrels a day of crude in the course of normal operations (several orders of magnitude more). However, if a total 'zero tolerance' policy is what some desire, we need to include all vehicle oil pans and transmission pans, and drips from them to the environment. Municipal storm water systems generally have little, if any, facilities for recovering the oil from the vehicle drips from all the mega-mall parking lots and Supercenters that goes through the storm water (not sanitary sewer) systems to point of discharge. Basically, Bill51 mentioned boats, but neglected to consider vehicles not traveling on water.

Now, does that provide a reasonable comparison with say Ixtoc 1, just for consideration?

These are just my impressions from growing up in South Texas, I have no scientific data, but I think Bill51 is most likely right in terms of offshore drilling and production in the Gulf of Mexico may have reduced natural hydrocarbon seep rates. I don't think drilling activities increased tar on the beaches while I was growing up, I think cheap imported oil was more likely the cause. When I was younger and domestic production was higher, tar on the beaches was very uncommon. As we got more imported oil, and when it was cheap, I think more was put into the system by the tankers leaving. With higher prices, and things like crude oil washing (COW) systems invented and used on the tankers, the tar is much less again (I last visited September 2005). Again, I have no data to back this up, just my personal impressions. So to me, improving domestic production also helps reduce risk factors for potential pollution.

I've noticed some of the same folks who say they don't want to be part of a climate experiment through increased fossil fuel combustion are the same who often point to the rising demand curve in China and India. I haven't seen what the predictions are if the USA quits consuming so much petroleum - what effect that is predicted to have on the rising demand curve outside the USA and western Europe. I suspect that with less competition, the portion that would not be consumed in the USA may well be added to the consumption of China, India, and / or other countries outside the USA and western Europe, with net consumption globally being little changed, if any. Only time will tell.

reefhound, I've copied my post and added bold for your benefit - a part you chose to edit out when you copied it in yours. All right there in electrons, exactly as I said.

H2Andy, maybe you missed that as well.

Bill51, I read over the Rand report on shale oil, and one of the 'unknowns' in that report on the newer method proposed by Shell is changes to underground aquifers and the potential for leaching salts left in the rock after the oil is removed. That's a pretty big unknown which would have to be resolved for the $30/barrel price neighborhood. It does state the recovered oil from this method could be sent directly to a refinery without need for immediate treatment for unstable compounds, unlike the other methods.

The other methods, which include potential application of the systems used for tar sands adapted to shale oil, showed $75 to $90 per barrel estimate price required for the first commercial scale plant.

Mafiaman:
steeliejim, I feel the fear you claim the American people have towards Nuclear energy is over stated, excluding that I believe a paper writen by Hartmut U. Wider, Johan Carlsson, Klaus Dietze and Jürgen Konys at Joint Research Center of the EC, Institute for Energy will address the rest of the concerns you mention.

http://nucleartimes.jrc.nl/Doc/Global03final2.pdf
Thanks for a great link, though after reading it and looking at the redundancies they’re working with I did wonder if it was written to DIR standards. :D

The only problem I have with the report is their concern of aircraft compromising the containment vessel. Having seen first hand some of the tests done over the years and actually what we learned new after reviewing the 9/11 crashes, I’m not too worried about that possibility.

A very old test video

WarmWaterDiver:
reefhound, I've copied my post and added bold for your benefit - a part you chose to edit out when you copied it in yours. All right there in electrons, exactly as I said.

Dude, you have a serious Reading for Comprehension problem.

My point had absolutely nothing to do with what the High Island system moves per day or how gallons converts to barrels, but merely what you stated was "the largest quantity estimate, 400 gallons". I was simply correcting that factual error, not anything else. Do you even at this point realize that the original quantity estimate was 21,000 gallons? (It has been since revised to 43,000 gallons.)

As for editing the quote, that's simply called proper quoting technique. When someone writes twenty sentences and I am taking issue with only three of them, I only quote those three. That way the reader doesn't have to wonder what part of your post my reply concerns or think I'm disagreeing with the entire post. Maybe you should learn proper quoting techniques yourself. I didn't include the part of your post about what High Island normally pumped per day or how 400 gallons was equivalent to 10 barrels (or 1600 quarts or any other units) because my point concerned the quantity amount of the spill, which was 21,000 (now 43,000) gallons, NOT 400 gallons as you said.

Warmwaterdiver,

How much crude oil do you think was leaked from the broken pipeline?

Bill51:
Thanks for a great link, though after reading it and looking at the redundancies they’re working with I did wonder if it was written to DIR standards. :D

Shhhh, If them DIR boys hear you mention them it's like inviting a vampire into your home.
They'll show up and explain how the whole energy crisis is caused by jacket BCD's
That if we all converted to BP/W the lighter more stream line BC's would add up to enough savings to off set the National debt in oil savings :rofl3: :rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom