burning knots?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alphonsis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I recently spoke with a pretty experienced diver who jerry rigged a clip weight for me by using cave line which he tied into a bowline, then melted the ends into the knot itself.

Does everyone else do this too?

I understand melting the ends of the rope so it doesn't unwind, but he said it was even stronger to melt the ends to the knot itself. My concern is that wouldn't this also weaken the knot?

Thanks!

All of my clips, etc. are tied on w/ line. Once you tie the knot and cut, you melt the knot. It's nylon line, so the plastic kind of welds together. I'm not really concerned about the strength as much as I am with a knot coming undone, so I can't speak to the strength but I've never had one come undone.

Battles2a5 is right. If you melt the nylon line then it acts like a weld and makes it stronger. This technique is used by anglers with fishing line and works as long as you don't burn through the line.

they do the same thing for drums that are tensioned with nylon rope, melt the ends together, sometimes they don't even bother to knot. And that stuff is under a lot of tension. It can take a little practice to do a good job of it.

Yep, just put it over flame and it will start to melt. Then I'll take it off the flame and kind of mash it together w/ the bottom of the lighter. I know it was hot enough because I'll touch it (every time), burn my hand, and then run around the garage yelling like an idiot.

Ah, thanks for all your help!

Time to start melting some knots!

Instead of using an open flame like from a Zippo Lighter, you can also use a soldering iron to melt the knot (less chance of singeing whatever you're tying off to. . .).

Back
Top Bottom