Burned on Ebay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Budgy,
Because nobody is making them anymore. Trident was the last and they stopped. If you have one and want to sell it, PM me with the price.

I am seriously thinking about cloning my Healthways gauge, if I can figure out how to make a mold to produce the rubber casing. The wristband shouldn't be too hard to make or find commercially.

I thought that Trident was still making capillary gauges, but maybe they stopped.

One of my LDS has a new Trident one for sale. I don’t like how it looks, but I am sure it works fine. The label looks cheep. The label looks like a white photo copy with the depth markings stuck on the face of the gauge.

I could get it for you if you wanted it, but I am sure you can get an old Scubapro or similar that looks much better. Your best bet is to post in VDH that you are looking for a capillary gauge. I am sure someone would have an one they would sell.

The interesting thing is that in my TDI deco procedure book (for the class that I took) it talked about how desirable are the capillary depth gauge for the precision you get on the shallow stops, from 30ft up. They recommend them for all deco dives even to this day, but I don’t think many tech divers have ever seen a capillary gauge.

I have a Scubapro and an SOS (they are identical just the label) that I like very much and I use them for vintage or deco diving.

Luis,
I wrote to Trident and they told me the because of the economy, they have ceased making the capillary depth gauge and probably won't resume production anytime in the near future.

That LDS you mentioned that has one, what does he want for it and how many does he have for sale?

...if a new capillary depth gauge is $20 why buy an old one?

Why? WHY?! This is the "Vintage Equipment Diving" forum, and you ask, "Why?"!!! :banghead:

but if a new capillary depth gauge is $20 why buy an old one?

George Mallory, not Sir Edmund Hillary, once said: "Because it is there".

Later, Lionel Terray wrote his memoirs entitled "Conquistadors of the Useless".

I hope this clears things up :)

Speaking of Ebay, I am thinking of picking up one of these. Much cheaper than any other CCR's I have seen.

mf02a.jpg

The seller has a 99.2% positive rating.

I recently purchased a sportsways "Waterlung" Navy Unit on Ebay. It was a trip down nostalgia lane as this is the exact same model I started out with in 1960. It was a cadillac then and in my opinion, it still is. Thinking that I was leaving diving, I sold mine in 1992 (dumb mistake and I regret it now)

The seller and I communicated several times about the regulator and we found many issues we had in common.

I replaced the "O" rings and checked the seats. Took it in the pool two days ago and it worked perfectly; just like almost 50 years ago. In fact it delivered air easier than the Scuba Pro I paid over $600 for.

Of course my dealer made fun of my even considering using it in a pool. They said it should be put on a shelf labeled "antiques"

Even though I will probably never use it for recreational diving today. I would have absolutely no problem diving with it. That regulator saw me through over 30 years of recreational diving including over 15 years of search and recovery activities. It has been in far worse conditions than most divers will ever see today, (even thouse who are at the "Dive Master" and instructor level.) My instructor and good friend even commented that the "Navy Unit" was made before he was born. That may be true, but it doesn't make it any less of a quality instrument.

I guess given that I am almost 70, I too am considered an antique. To say the least I take offence to that comment as well. I hope to be diving well into my 70's and maybe 80's, albeit at a slower pace and a few more aches and pains as a result.

Last edited:
Why? WHY?! This is the "Vintage Equipment Diving" forum, and you ask, "Why?"!!! :banghead:

Hi Ducky, Cheers man, you've found my avatar, :banghead: I wondered where I left it and I've been quite lost without it.:D

Hi Pal I had a quick check out in the garage but never saw it, I got it as part of a bag of old kit some 10 years ago and never used it. I keep meaning to do a clear out, if I haven't already thrown it out and I come across it, I'll let you know, no price. If you want to buy a new one is this any good for you.
Checking out the garage I came across a yellow plastic moulded Siebe Heinke of England, Mercury 2nd stage its got a 3 port first stage, I know the diaphram in the 2nd stage is split so it doesn't work, I'm set up for Din and this is A clamp. Its a wall hanger or a fixer upper if anyone's interested?

I once attached an old antique first stage to a r190 2nd stage. That r190 performed better in the pool than it ever did with a mk20. I never knew what the interstage pressure was.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom