Burned on Ebay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The owner of the LDS I go to has been in business since the mid 1960s. He has always been willing to help me with my equipment and doesn't care where I get it from. If he can fix it, he does, and for a very reasonable price. For example, to service my Conshelf XIs, with new parts, is $45. I have come to trust his judgment. I still service my Aquarius regs myself from parts he supplies.

I have fixed them good as new, piece of cake. It is the "good as new" part that is a problem since most were not all that good when new. But, I am glad you got your money back.

I was ripped off on eBay for 350 dollars on a custom wetsuit. Never got it or my money returned. I now no longer buy or sell very much on Ebait. In fact, I will not purchase masks, fins, rubber items wetsuits, etc on eBay. Most of the rubber junk I have purchased on eBay has been just that, junk.

Old gauges, some sort of work, most did not work when they were new with a few exceptions, those little Taylor gauges work, the Scuba Pro Helium gauge works, some Voit gauges worked that had the diaphragm bottom. Most, about 95% of vintage gauges were not accurate when fresh from the box, nice to collect but not to dive in any serious manner.

Capillary gauges, never had much luck with them either.

I am all into vintage but only so far as the stuff works and is practical, rotten rubber junk and "vintage" wetsuits I am done spending money on. For the money I have spent on rotten rubber I could have bought a new custom TLS350 dry suit.

N

I have learned to steer clear of the “I have no idea what this is… might be for diving or something…” seller’s disclaimer, as it is usually code for “it’s broken and in otherwise crappy shape and will never work, no matter how much more money you put into it, but I don’t want to admit that.”

All part of traidin’ horses.

Did get a MOST excellent Seatec black horsecollar in the mail the other day for a very fair price, that is STILL holding a max fill of air. Looks like a bloated dead seal on the floor of the closet. Sometimes you roll the dice and make out just fine.

Well, it finally happened. After a string of successful purchases of vintage diving equipment from Ebay, I got snookered. I bought a US Divers Aqua Lung Calypso depth gauge that the seller claimed was in good condition. When it arrived, it was missing the plug that goes into the side of the casing and holds everything together. I called my LDS and was told that the plug is not replaceable. Oh, well. Live and learn, I suppose.:(

Sorry it happened - for all EBays's assurances, its caveat emptor ("Let the buyer beware") - and I have spent close to 60k on vehicles over the years so I'm an EBay user.

Gotta agree w/ the poster talking about the clueless descriptions you often see concerning dive gear - if someone is that dumb, I just don't want to do business w/ them. And not being a diver is no excuse - find one and write a proper description for that 40 year old "oxygen" tank :shakehead::rofl3::shakehead:

Last week my LDS told me a customer told him he bought a steel tank (80 or 100) on line - needed a hydro and 02 cleaning - bottom line - the LDS has NEW tanks for about the same price. So just because its Ebay - or an auction - its not always a bargan.

And to the OP - to the clueless person selling the item, it probably was in "good condition" - it was not cracked, the glass was intact - you get the idea - item could not have been that much $$$.

At least you did not buy a car - like someone I know - and later find out it needed a new engine.....:confused::shakehead::D

I have just had a really fantastic experience. I have a "vintage" 6HP Evinrude that is a "commerical" model that nobody, and I mean nobody, carries parts or even part manuals for, so no way to look up parts. Needed a pump impeller and housing, the pump housing did have the original part number stamped on it. Found it listed on Ebay. Bought it but still needed the impeller, asked the seller if he had any idea of the numbers. He spent all day yesterday going through early 80's parts manuals until he found it. (He bought a obsolete OMC parts shipment and sells those for a hobby now.)

Then he found a source for it at less than 1/3 the price anyone else had it for. The guy is great.

rogers2088 I highly recommend if you have an old 'Rude laying about.

Did get a MOST excellent Seatec black horsecollar in the mail the other day for a very fair price, that is STILL holding a max fill of air. Looks like a bloated dead seal on the floor of the closet. Sometimes you roll the dice and make out just fine.

Told you those were usually good. :)

Nemrod,
I had considered trying to find, or make a new plug for the gauge (the little screw cap with the hole in it that was missing) but the threads inside were all corroded away. I might have been able to do something with it eventually, but it just wasn't worth the trouble. As far as capillary depth gauges are concerned, they are actually my favorite because of their simplicity. I'd like to find a couple but it seems no one is making them anymore. I have an old Healthways that has served me well for almos four decades. Herman sent me some tubing a while back and it's as good as new.

take it to a machinist - he might be able to clean up the threads, and then make you a plug.

Nemrod,
I had considered trying to find, or make a new plug for the gauge (the little screw cap with the hole in it that was missing) but the threads inside were all corroded away. I might have been able to do something with it eventually, but it just wasn't worth the trouble. As far as capillary depth gauges are concerned, they are actually my favorite because of their simplicity. I'd like to find a couple but it seems no one is making them anymore. I have an old Healthways that has served me well for almos four decades. Herman sent me some tubing a while back and it's as good as new.

No, I think you did good to send it back, it was not as described and probably not worth the effort, no, I agree, you did good. Next time you will get a winner!:)

I don't know where you would find a capillary gauge, perhaps Luis has a lead. i imagine one could be made. With the advent of computers there just are very few gauges available today. :(

N

I've offered Snarks, Kawasakis, FSH, Healthways and Aqualung pro regs etc and ended up throwing them away. I think I've got an old capillary somwhere in the back of the shed, but if a new capillary depth gauge is $20 why buy an old one?

Back
Top Bottom