Buoyancy problem with an Eclipse

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DOXA

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,

I have the following problem with my Eclipse (single tank wing):
- If I put my weight belt on my waist, my head keeps going down and my feet up
- If I put my weight belt on my hips, I have a perfect balance.

Is this a common problem and is there another sollution for my problem?

thnx

Try extending your legs or bringing your arms in. Use your body to adjust your trim.

That being said, are you *sure* you are really "heads down"? I know when I first started diving in trim, I really felt like I was standing on my head. Get a good buddy who knows what trim really is to take a look at you and help you adjust in the water. If they have a camera, that would be even better, as then you can correlate the sensation with what it actually looks like.

DOXA:
Hello,

I have the following problem with my Eclipse (single tank wing):
- If I put my weight belt on my waist, my head keeps going down and my feet up
- If I put my weight belt on my hips, I have a perfect balance.

Is this a common problem and is there another sollution for my problem?

thnx

also, make sure you are kepping your head up...

Hi, Welcome to the board.

A couple of thoughts. I don’t know where you are diving but when I switched to the BP/W I found I could drop a couple of pounds. You might want to start by doing a general buoyancy check. Halcyon makes w weight pocket type system that may get the weight up higher on your body and you could dispense with the belt. I hate belts.

Final thought if you have the SS bp and light exposure protection 3mm or less you may find you can dive with the 6 pound plate and 2 or 4 more pounds nonditchable in trim pouches attached to the tank band straps. This is of course assuming you are diving in relatively warm water and are sufficiently comfortable with non ditch able weight.

Soggy:
Try extending your legs or bringing your arms in. Use your body to adjust your trim.

That being said, are you *sure* you are really "heads down"? I know when I first started diving in trim, I really felt like I was standing on my head. Get a good buddy who knows what trim really is to take a look at you and help you adjust in the water. If they have a camera, that would be even better, as then you can correlate the sensation with what it actually looks like.

I'm using my body to compensate my trim by fully extenting my legs (shifts point of gravity). And yep I'm sure: like standing on my head. By moving my weight belt to my hips, I move my point of gravity towards my feet so that I can stay horizontally.
Video is indeed a valueable asset for one's training. So far I have used it a lot (and not only in the fundamentals class).

I did check my buoyancy, I keep my head up, I fully extend my legs and I still have this problem. I use a DUI TLS350 with a Weezle Extreme, may be it has something to do with it?

How much weight is in your rig? ie weighted sta, trim weights, etc.. I found that I was doing the whole head down thing too (completely vertical, head down) so I moved my channel weight and STA weight to my belt and was fine - don't know if this applies to your situation or not, just one more thing to consider... also how much weight is on your belt?

Tim

kidspot:
How much weight is in your rig? ie weighted sta, trim weights, etc.. I found that I was doing the whole head down thing too (completely vertical, head down) so I moved my channel weight and STA weight to my belt and was fine - don't know if this applies to your situation or not, just one more thing to consider... also how much weight is on your belt?

Tim

First let me say that I appreciate all your reaction, maybe together we can solve my problem.

I have a Halcyon stainless steel backplate (+/- 3 kg), a Halcyon Helios (+/- 2 kg) and 3 kg with lead on my weight belt. Quite normal I would say for a cold water dry suit diver.

(ps what is a channel weight?)

A channel weight is a lead weight that fits in the channel (where the wing nuts are) of the BP - anywhere from 2-6lbs

Sorry I don't know much about diving dry...hopefully others will offer their advice.

The Helios if I remember right can be adjusted to move the weight further down by moving the bands for the "belt loop" higher up on the cannister (My proteus came with instructions for doing this - though I have not had the need yet)

Adding trim weights to the bottom of the tank may be another option? Or adjusting the tank lower in the cam bands? (as long as you can still reach the valve that is)

Someone please correct me if these are just "band-aid" patches instead of addressing the real problem though...

Aloha, Tim

kidspot:
A channel weight is a lead weight that fits in the channel (where the wing nuts are) of the BP - anywhere from 2-6lbs

Sorry I don't know much about diving dry...hopefully others will offer their advice.

The Helios if I remember right can be adjusted to move the weight further down by moving the bands for the "belt loop" higher up on the cannister (My proteus came with instructions for doing this - though I have not had the need yet)

Adding trim weights to the bottom of the tank may be another option? Or adjusting the tank lower in the cam bands? (as long as you can still reach the valve that is)

Someone please correct me if these are just "band-aid" patches instead of addressing the real problem though...

Aloha, Tim

Tim, Thnx for explaining a channel weight.

I wonder if moving my Helios will solve the problem, there is only a few centimetres left. I will try it anyway.

What is the real problem? In my opinion: my point of gravity. While looking up en fully stretching my legs, I still go vertical (head down). I can't lower my tank anymore. The only solution I see is shifting my point of gravity by lowering my weight belt (to my hips). But I'm afraid of losing my belt or movement of if.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom