Buoyancy Issue / Dilemma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm still learning the finer points of buoyancy so I found it much easier to get images by switching to video. I can hover near the creatures watching them do their thing and if I want to pull out a single image, I can use software to do it. It's also a great way to review your dive and to see things you might have actually missed while on the dive. At one point I was so busy concentrating on the macro shooting that I almost missed the sea turtle swimming right past me. I saw it in the corner of my screen. This taught me to use the camera as a tool, but not to let it rule my dive. Don't miss the forest for the trees. Also relax don't be frantic about getting "that" shot. Enjoy the whole, don't obsess.

Posting these poor diving practices in forums like this is a starting point in alerting diver/photographer on what's a no-no. After all, there are other divers who are "not aware" of there own underwater behavior and the post can serve as an eye-opener/reminder.

I have posted about this before but am working with some people to come up with "10 Guidelines for Underwater Photographers" Which we hope will be distributed to dive operators and shops for posting and distribution. As we get closer would be great to get some input from all of you and help in getting them out there, more news in coming months. You can go to our website, "conservation" section to get an idea of what we are starting with.

Agree with Mayor on this one. My wife/dive buddy talked about this long ago and she is ok we me being the "jerk". If I can get there attention underwater, while they are laying, kneeling, whatever I just make "up" motion or show "one finger on the reef". If I see it underwater but can't get there attention I will find a quite moment when they are alone and say something to the effect of "Hi X I personally trying to shoot with just one finger on the reef and sometimes pass on shots where this is not possible. Of course at times I kick the reef, brush up against a crinoid, but I noticed when you were taken a picture of xyz and ...... YES I AM A JERK Most people have always taken it really well, some you see a change, a few others just go back to their bad old ways.

Moderator think this thread should be moved to the "general" thread.

From Our Site

Our Guidelines to Nature Photography

1. Always try to minimize our impact on the subject.
2. We will not move, handle, coax or prod any animal to capture a “better” photo.
3. We will not move, handle or disturb any coral or other structure to get a “better” photo of a subject.
4. We will be very conscious of our buoyancy in an attempt to avoid coming in contact with the reef or bottom.
5. Only one finger on the reef (dead section) to capture a photo.* If this is not possible than we will forgo the picture.
6. If we see a fellow diver harming the reef or its creatures intentionally or by accident we will no longer keep silent. We will try, with as much tact as possible, to raise the subject of protecting that which we have all come to SEE!
7. We will let guides know that we do not look for them to manipulate in any way the creatures and settings we have come to capture in pixels.
mjh: totally agree, that this topic should go general and possibly even into sub forums for all the folks who only check into specific categories,ie, as a snorkeldiver and photographer I would have never read your post, if it was in a scuba forum. Re guidelines, I'd suggest, that you add one related specifically to feeding practices, as this definitely constitutes a behaviour-modifying action and really shouldn't be done. Have met quite a few divers who use this as a regular "tool" to get good shots and are actually proud of this "little trick".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom