Buoyancy Issue / Dilemma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got a very nice response from their workshop committee chair in which he apologized for the behavior of the group members. He and their newsletter editor are going to work this subject into upcoming announcements and workshops to better educate their members on proper reef protection.

Wonderful! Let's all hope this is not just lip-service.

I got a very nice response from their workshop committee chair in which he apologized for the behavior of the group members. He and their newsletter editor are going to work this subject into upcoming announcements and workshops to better educate their members on proper reef protection.

:kiss2: Well done!

.....someone buy this diver a beer!!!

Hey Doc Harry,

Great idea switching to video mode! I imagine most photographers would be humbled and horrified viewing their own bad diving behavior and make a conscious effort in the future to develop better buoyancy skills and photo taking practices.

Even for those divers who don't care what you or the rest of us think still would remember their "You Tube" moment, and who knows, they might just become better divers down the road. Let's all hope so.

In any case the most success in these types of situations is best done with tact...:)

P.S. Glad to see the group leader making an effort to address and hopefully educate his dive buddies for the future, way to go!

I've got a bit of a dilemma so I'm looking for suggestions, though I'm going to be a little vague right now. I just returned from a week long dive trip. During some of the dives, I had a group a UW photographers on the same boat as me. They were all members of a large UW photo group from a major metropolitan area (they very proudly talked about the group, so I know where it is). I've been doing UW photography for over 20 years and have never seen such horrible behavior by two photographers in my life. I saw one of them STANDING on the reef in order to take a photo. I saw another one grab, with full hand, a softball size piece of brain coral in order to control their position to take a photo. Someone else in my group saw one of them repeatedly bang their housing and strobes into a large piece of soft coral trying to get a photo of something. I understand that every photographer is going to occasionally hit a piece of the reef with a fin tip or put a hand out when a bit of current or surge hits you; I know I have. Those are accidents. This was nothing like that. I said something to one of the resort staff and they were reluctant to say anything since it was the end of the week and they didn't want to risk upsetting the customer who might then say, or post, bad things about the resort.

Just because someone has spent thousands of dollars on photo gear doesn't mean they can do as they please on the reef. My primary rule when taking photos is if I can't get the photo without damaging the reef, I don't take the photo. No exceptions. I'd like to think that most, if not all, photographers think the same, though I'm sure there are some who don't care, like the two I observed this past week. I even took a couple of photos of their behavior (discreetly from a distance) so I could use them in my Intro to UW Photography class as an example of what not to do.

I've been debating sending an email to the training director (assuming there is one) of the photo group describing what I saw and asking them to reiterate the importance of not damaging the reef when taking photos. That's my question. Would I be out of line doing so, or should I just let it drop?

There is no training director most of the time, you should have said something on the spot, like, "dude, get the hell off the reef" etc.

Did you ask the person who responded why he/she did not notice their "members" were laying on the reef?

Photogs are the worst with this stuff, laying, smashing, grabbing, clubbing the reef with their junk.

N

Hi, I'm a new diver and also new to uw photography- so here's my question. I've only gone diving w/ my camera once, and it wasn't a reef, just a sandy beach area, so in order to take photos I anchored myself into the sand with one hand. So if I were trying to shoot pics on a reef or wall, how does one hold themselves steady enough not to blur the photos without touching anything? I find that just inhaling and exhaling makes me move. Looking for technique advice...

First off, jen, you can cycle your breath around a midpoint with very small inhalations or exhalations, or even a brief pause in your breathing to take the shot. You can also practice your buoyancy until you can remain very still while hovering. And, if absolutely necessary, you can put one finger down on bare rock, if you can find some.

I know some superb photographers who operate in current and surge and don't touch anything, so it can be done, but it does take work.

What Lynn said and practice practice practice

It takes time and patience to get buoyancy down, if you are moving up and down as you breathe you have achieved neutral bouyancy. now practice shallow breaths while shooting

I was taught, after of course managing your breath and buoyancy, that you can put one finger tip down on a bare rock if you need that extra bit of help. It's funny though. I don't usually use that finger help much though. Sometimes after using a gentle finger tip in rougher current, I start to wonder if anyone is watching me and thinking, "look at that guy sticking his finger in the coral." Usually that thought goes away quickly when I see someone kicking and banging everything under them.

One other thing I do when the current is working me too much for a good shot, I swim around to a different angle on the same spot so I can better manage the current flow on me. Other times, knowing there's no way to stay put, I manage it so I can get a gentle glide over the spot I want and prepare for a good shot. Sometimes I'll circle on the same spot two or three times til I get the shot I want.

There is no training director most of the time, you should have said something on the spot, like, "dude, get the hell off the reef" etc.

I would have pulled them aside and said the same thing. If they were a jerk about it then everyone on the boat would know about it.

I have posted about this before but am working with some people to come up with "10 Guidelines for Underwater Photographers" Which we hope will be distributed to dive operators and shops for posting and distribution. As we get closer would be great to get some input from all of you and help in getting them out there, more news in coming months. You can go to our website, "conservation" section to get an idea of what we are starting with.

Agree with Mayor on this one. My wife/dive buddy talked about this long ago and she is ok we me being the "jerk". If I can get there attention underwater, while they are laying, kneeling, whatever I just make "up" motion or show "one finger on the reef". If I see it underwater but can't get there attention I will find a quite moment when they are alone and say something to the effect of "Hi X I personally trying to shoot with just one finger on the reef and sometimes pass on shots where this is not possible. Of course at times I kick the reef, brush up against a crinoid, but I noticed when you were taken a picture of xyz and ...... YES I AM A JERK Most people have always taken it really well, some you see a change, a few others just go back to their bad old ways.

Moderator think this thread should be moved to the "general" thread.

From Our Site

Our Guidelines to Nature Photography

1. Always try to minimize our impact on the subject.
2. We will not move, handle, coax or prod any animal to capture a “better” photo.
3. We will not move, handle or disturb any coral or other structure to get a “better” photo of a subject.
4. We will be very conscious of our buoyancy in an attempt to avoid coming in contact with the reef or bottom.
5. Only one finger on the reef (dead section) to capture a photo.* If this is not possible than we will forgo the picture.
6. If we see a fellow diver harming the reef or its creatures intentionally or by accident we will no longer keep silent. We will try, with as much tact as possible, to raise the subject of protecting that which we have all come to SEE!
7. We will let guides know that we do not look for them to manipulate in any way the creatures and settings we have come to capture in pixels.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom