Buoyancy Issue / Dilemma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bjf123

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've got a bit of a dilemma so I'm looking for suggestions, though I'm going to be a little vague right now. I just returned from a week long dive trip. During some of the dives, I had a group a UW photographers on the same boat as me. They were all members of a large UW photo group from a major metropolitan area (they very proudly talked about the group, so I know where it is). I've been doing UW photography for over 20 years and have never seen such horrible behavior by two photographers in my life. I saw one of them STANDING on the reef in order to take a photo. I saw another one grab, with full hand, a softball size piece of brain coral in order to control their position to take a photo. Someone else in my group saw one of them repeatedly bang their housing and strobes into a large piece of soft coral trying to get a photo of something. I understand that every photographer is going to occasionally hit a piece of the reef with a fin tip or put a hand out when a bit of current or surge hits you; I know I have. Those are accidents. This was nothing like that. I said something to one of the resort staff and they were reluctant to say anything since it was the end of the week and they didn't want to risk upsetting the customer who might then say, or post, bad things about the resort.

Just because someone has spent thousands of dollars on photo gear doesn't mean they can do as they please on the reef. My primary rule when taking photos is if I can't get the photo without damaging the reef, I don't take the photo. No exceptions. I'd like to think that most, if not all, photographers think the same, though I'm sure there are some who don't care, like the two I observed this past week. I even took a couple of photos of their behavior (discreetly from a distance) so I could use them in my Intro to UW Photography class as an example of what not to do.

I've been debating sending an email to the training director (assuming there is one) of the photo group describing what I saw and asking them to reiterate the importance of not damaging the reef when taking photos. That's my question. Would I be out of line doing so, or should I just let it drop?

I don't see why you shouldn't. It would have to be made rather diplomatically. You could expect to be flamed possibly. The pictures would tell the whole story and might encourage the miscreants to clean up their act.

And you didn't sneak up behind them, turn off their air and put the reef out of its misery??? Shame on you!

Just (halfway) kidding, but as far as I'm concerned idiots like that need to have thier asses kicked.

I rather doubt that there is a "training director," so I don't know who you'd complain to.

I even took a couple of photos of their behavior (discreetly from a distance) so I could use them in my Intro to UW Photography class as an example of what not to do.

Post those photos here! :)

Post those photos here! :)
Please ... with names and addresses, and maybe phone numbers!:D

When I see particularly bad behavior, I switch my camera to video mode. Later I show them the video and judge what to say next based on their response.

If they are mortified at what they see, my job is done.

If they are not mortified....

Here are the three photos I took. They were from a distance away with the camera zoomed in, so they're not the best images, but they do show what I'm talking about. In the first, he's standing on the reef. The second has her hand on a small piece of brain coral. The third has his hand doing the same.

Attachments

• PIC_0531.jpg
    PIC_0531.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 332
  • PIC_0614.jpg
    PIC_0614.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 321
  • PIC_0615.jpg
    PIC_0615.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 307
I've been debating sending an email to the training director (assuming there is one) of the photo group describing what I saw and asking them to reiterate the importance of not damaging the reef when taking photos. That's my question. Would I be out of line doing so, or should I just let it drop?

Please don't let it drop! Please DO send an email or even a letter to the group. You will feel better because you did the right thing, even if they react stupidly and flame you.

Then, tell us what the response is. If they acknowlege behavior, fine. If they do not, I think you should post the dive club here and maybe they will understand when the rest of the dive community flames THEM for ^&*(*&^ our reefs.

PS - I am NOT know for my tactfulness.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom