Buddy got bent etc.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RiverRat

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just came back from some decent wreck diving in NC. Despite the weather, I got in 2 days of diving and learned some more things about current, diver stress, equipment problems, bad vis, DCS (unfortunate for my buddy) and when to call a dive first hand. Had I known some of the issues encountered on my 5th dive I would have bailed for sure. One of the divers from the group I was with asked me to go out and get in two more dives. At first I was reluctant but "peer pressure" gave in. I mean I was ready to dive but conditions were iffy. The conditions were worsening but we all went out anyway to see if we could get around the squall that blew in and get in a few more dives. The first issue I encountered was my rig blew over (bungee snapped or something) smashing my first stage into the deck, bending the yoke and dumping half my air. At first I thought it was just the o-ring but it was the bent yoke causing the o-ring to extrude. I mounted the first stage to another tank but it looked like it was not flush. I flipped the yoke over and it appeared to be flush. I pressurized my rig and five minutes later that "o-ring" blew. Now I was really PO'd. Lesson learned, if your gear does not look right or is presumed possibly faulty don't dive it (or attempt to dive it). That o-ring could have extruded (if it did not blow on deck first) underwater had we done the second dive which we all called off. In the bad vis, had I been separated from my buddy and the o-ring blew at depth I could have been bent or worse. I should have called the dives when my temper got the best of me, regardless of whether I got my gear in order or not. My stubborness got in the way of my better judgement. In any event, I borrowed a first stage and did a 65 fsw dive with my buddy. VIS was around 10-15 feet or less. I was lagging behind. My buddy jumped in and I told him I'd meet him at the line. I was so PO'd by now I was having a hard time with unfamilier gear, (borrowed reg, hose routing etc.) and flooded my mask and could not find the line in the bad vis. I was only a few feet under so I came back up, fixed my mask, blew off the attitude and swam over to the downline to catch up to my buddy. I found him at the bottom of the anchor line but vis was so poor it took me awhile to positively identify him. Now just imagine if I did dive that defective reg, I was "buddyless" on the way down, not good. This is why I really prefer to dive with a "known" buddy, to talk out a good dive plan before jumping in. With the "unknown" buddy you never really know for sure what the person is going to do on a dive. In any event we did the dive and when I settled down I actually enjoyed it. The seas were calmer and the vis was not all that bad considering some of the conditions I've dove in before. Little did I know my buddy was having a horrible dive. He was very uncomfortable in the poor vis etc. Later on the boat I told him he should have thumbed the dive. If he was feeling that bad I would rather he called it. Again, maybe he was feeling pressured to dive with me? Anyway, the vis was poor and on the return trip we went to the top of the wreck. This is where I got confused, and as I did not run a line from the anchor line, I realized we got turned around and had swam to the stern. No big deal. I signalled to my buddy to ascend from here, we'll have to surface swim. I got the feeling he wanted to "rush" to the surface and I kept signalling him to slow down. I kept him in close proximity as we did our safety stop above the stern. We surfaced after our stop and no surprise the boat was a bit off. This was when I noticed my buddy seemed a little distressed. I made sure he was ok and I signaled the boat we were both ok. As we swam back in though I noticed it was a real effort for him. I asked him periodically as we approached the boat about his condition. I should mention at this point that this guy is a heavy smoker, even before dives. On the boat he was complaining about his sore arm and shoulder. He stated that he felt this pain 2 days earlier on our previous dives (not with me) He also stated that he was diving well within the limits but his profiles in his computer proved otherwise (skipped stops etc.). We all recommended he call DAN just to be safe. In any event the doc put him in a nearby chamber. From what I understand it's sometimes hard to diagnose whether you're truly bent or not, but the heavy smoking, abused profiles etc. would lend me to believe he truly was. I'm told he's doing well after treatment. I hope this story can benefit someone out there. I know I've learned a few things..........

scubafool:
By "skipped stops", did you mean mandatory decompression stops or recomended safety stops?

I can't be sure at this time. I did not dive with him on those dives nor see his profiles. From what I've heard from the other divers I think they meant safety stops. Don't want to speculate. I'll post more info if/when I get it.

Even so, with the heavy smoking etc. before these 110-120 fsw deep dives, I think a "safety stop" could have made a difference as to him getting bent or not.

RiverRat:
He also stated that he was diving well within the limits but his profiles in his computer proved otherwise (skipped stops etc.). QUOTE]

What too many divers fail to realize is that the limits include ascent rate as well as depth and time at depth. Ascent rate training is something that seems to be severely lacking in many OW classes.

Also too many divers think that the NDL's are distinct lines. The truth is its more of a band of increasing risk as you get close to or go beyond the stipulated NDL.

jbd:
What too many divers fail to realize is that the limits include ascent rate as well as depth and time at depth. Ascent rate training is something that seems to be severely lacking in many OW classes.
Also too many divers think that the NDL's are distinct lines. The truth is its more of a band of increasing risk as you get close to or go beyond the stipulated NDL.

I agree. I've been diving just over a year now. I've seen some scary stuff already. Rush, rush, rush.......gotta get up.....
I just back off the line and let 'em go. Besides, it's good practice to just do my ascents and stops free of the line unless I need it for some reason, such as being a little light (not really an issue now) or practicing ascent rate, poor vis etc. What most divers don't get is that they are doing a "rolling decompression" on the way up (as stated in another SB post). I could not believe some of the banter I heard on the boat from divers....."my computer was beeping...was yours?"....."why was it beeping....what does that mean?"....
Some of these folks had no clue as to how their computers worked, how they relate to the tables and how their own units actually worked. To even compare one brand of computer to another persons computer/brand is a joke unless you know the details of both and are just comparing differences the between them. I really doubt these divers were diving the more conservative computer. I know that some of these divers were fresh out of OW with a group but still, to blindy trust a machine on your wrist and not even know how it works or what the alarms are trying to tell you?

RiverRat:
At first I was reluctant but "peer pressure" gave in. I mean I was ready to dive but conditions were iffy. The conditions were worsening but we all went out anyway to see if we could get around the squall that blew in and get in a few more dives. ... I hope this story can benefit someone out there. I know I've learned a few things..........
First, thank you for sharing your story. It takes courage to tell a tale when the moral of the story is, I should not have done what I did. Again thank you.

Now, about the "at first I was..." my standing diving rule number one is, if I or anyone in the group says any of the following, or something that sounds like them, we thumb the dive:
• "Do you think it's ok" - no its not, the very question says your common sense does not think its ok but you are hoping someone else will thumb the dive.
• "I'm game if you are" - again, that is your common sense saying I be a darn fool if you will first.
• "Well.... what do you think?" - again that is your common sense telling you to step back and you are secretly hoping the other person will be the one to thumb the dive and say nope, ain't gonna dive.
• "Well, I don't know, I guess its ok" Again, you do know, you just don't want to be the one to call the dive.

Bottom line is that if there is the slightest hesitation or question in your or anyone else’s mind, don't do the dive. The hesitation is your common sense saying don't, everything else is your macho trying to prove something and hoping someone else will call the dive, or talk you into it.

I know it is tough, and we all love to dive. It is even tougher when you had to travel some distance to get there. I will admit it is eaiser for me, just 1 hour from several beach dives to call it a day and come back tomorrown. But, it is better to go to eat and dive another day, than to squeese in an extra dive and die today.

It sounds like you learned a lot on this dive and everyone will live to enjoy the lesson. Sorry about your first stage getting bent, and the other diver too.

Again thanks for sharing.

Thanks for sharing your story.

One handy tool to have available is the 5 minute neurological exam.
If you, and your buddy do the exam on each other before and after diving you can tell real quick if there is a serious problem.

Example, if your buddy is saying "It is just a twinge" and his grip that nearly crushed your hand this morning is now flacid and trembling, you KNOW that it is time to activate EMS, start O2 and call DAN.

The first part sounds like a perfect example of why people should use DIN valves not A-clamp...

String:
The first part sounds like a perfect example of why people should use DIN valves not A-clamp...

I here ya... I have PST E-7 100's with the convertable valve.
I can just envision whacking the yoke/nut on a wreck while peeking in a hole. Even though I'm not penetrating any wrecks yet I do have an interest in some of the "easier" overhead environments. Now is the time for change.
I had eventually planned on yanking out the plugs and modifying my 1st stage. Now that the yoke is bent I have no excuse not to change it out :eyebrow:

I just typed this on another thread earlier today and I can't stress it enough.
DO NOT LET PEER PRESSURE PUSH YOU INTO ANYTHING YOU DON'T FEEL COMFORTABLE DOING!"

What does bending into peer pressure mean?
"JOB SECURITY"

Being a new diver getting stressed out, with unfamilier gear and getting mad on top of all that equals one thing.
"JOB SECURITY"

I have only one thing to add:"DO NOT LET PEER PRESSURE PUSH YOU INTO ANYTHING YOU DO NOT FEEL COMFORTABLE DOING!"

Gary D.

Back
Top Bottom