Buddy got bent etc.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Agree with the above, free ascents with no external reference are a vital and basic skill that every dive should be able to perform.

Only in the tropics are things made easier with specific anchored boats and fixed ascent and descent lines.

String:
Agree with the above, free ascents with no external reference are a vital and basic skill that every dive should be able to perform.

Only in the tropics are things made easier with specific anchored boats and fixed ascent and descent lines.
I wouldn't bet on that!! At least in Malaysia I've never seen a fixed line - and normally no anchor either. EVERYBODY has to be able to make a free ascent AND hold the safety. In Okinawa it's always a free ascent to the safety - then the DM will shoot a bag with a lead weight at 5 meters - this just gives a reference point that everyone hangs around. As has been said already a couple of times - this is an OW skill

Around these parts, a nice slow ascent in low vis with no line, including hanging steady without a reference during the safety stop, is generally an assumed skill.

And you do this in the open ocean where the boat is anchored to the wreck and if you drift away they will be making a movie about you?

Having dove in many different conditions, bouyancy control is a lot different when diving doubles, w/ dry suit, deco bottles etc than when diving single w/ dry suit. Not that I can't do it, it is just alot more tricky especially in that 30-10 ft range w/ dry suit.
Then in the open ocean throw in ocean swells and just the minimalest current.

In Okinawa it's always a free ascent to the safety

what is the visability? and are u doing beach or if from a boat is it drift diving?

low vis without a line something everyone should be able to do?

What everyone should be able to do and what they should do can differ substantially based on the conditions.

DEEPLOU:
what is the visability? and are u doing beach or if from a boat is it drift diving?

This is always boat diving - sometimes from the boat it'll be a drift dive. Because the DM shoots a bag for the safety stop the boat is always there when you come up. Visibility is always very good.

DEEPLOU:
And you do this in the open ocean where the boat is anchored to the wreck and if you drift away they will be making a movie about you?

Having dove in many different conditions, bouyancy control is a lot different when diving doubles, w/ dry suit, deco bottles etc than when diving single w/ dry suit. Not that I can't do it, it is just alot more tricky especially in that 30-10 ft range w/ dry suit.
Then in the open ocean throw in ocean swells and just the minimalest current.

What everyone should be able to do and what they should do can differ substantially based on the conditions.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

It doesn't matter if you are a "Water bug" a "Boomer" or something in between. The principles of buoyancy are the same. You either know how to control it or you don’t.

(And you do this in the open ocean where the boat is anchored to the wreck and if you drift away they will be making a movie about you?)
Here we go adding stuff into the original intent of the post again. IF it’s calm or in conditions the diver can handle what’s the matter with it? There isn’t anything saying you have to be holding onto something. Besides boats don’t always stay where they were left. It might still be anchored to the wreck but sitting on it as well.

(Having dove in many different conditions, bouyancy control is a lot different when diving doubles, w/ dry suit, deco bottles etc than when diving single w/ dry suit. Not that I can't do it, it is just alot more tricky especially in that 30-10 ft range w/ dry suit.)
Buoyancy changes with each breath you take and any minute changes you make to your person and/or gear. If you get right down to it, what you ate prior to a dive will change things.

If you think having all that stuff on is tough, try it without it. Try twin 90’s with a bag of tools, mask, fins, gloves, no suit, no BC and no weight belt (just had to throw that one in).

(Then in the open ocean throw in ocean swells and just the minimalest current.)
So, learn about it and ride it.

(What everyone should be able to do and what they should do can differ substantially based on the conditions.)
Very true and that’s why people should either get more training, more experience or just plain pay attention to instructors. Everything from swimming 101 up is serious and not a gigglefest popularity contest that way too many people do instead of learning.

A lot more people should flunk OW than do. I’d also venture to say that over 50% of today’s trained divers would have failed OW 20 years ago. This sport has been driven by the Almighty Buck and not the gray matter above the shoulders.

Gary D.

Gary D.:
It doesn't matter if you are a "Water bug" a "Boomer" or something in between. The principles of buoyancy are the same. You either know how to control it or you don’t.
Gary D.

Gary,

How long does it take (not that there is a hard number, but is there an estimate or average) for a diver to get good at buoyancy? I only have 7 dives (5 training, 2 recreational ). On the 2 recreational dives, I try and work on my OW skills as part of the dive (Mask Remove / Replace, Primary Sweep and Reach, Buoyancy Control). It seems to get a tad easier each time, but still quite the challenge to stay off the bottom (working at 15' to 20'). Did 30 mins in a local 18' pool yesterday and actually felt pretty good about it, was able to rise and fall based on breathing at about 15'. I'm still a LONG way off, and just wonder how long it takes to master this skill? (I "bounced" once on our first recreational dive, and it scared me poopless, don't want to do that again).

My worst area appears to be the last 6-8' of an ascent (free). I can go slow until then, but my computer gets me every time at that depth. I would assume this in impatience, but not sure, your thoughts?

Also, I would assume it is good to continue to practice skills as part of the weekend diving, is this true?

Charley

CharleyT:
Gary,

How long does it take (not that there is a hard number, but is there an estimate or average) for a diver to get good at buoyancy? I only have 7 dives (5 training, 2 recreational ). On the 2 recreational dives, I try and work on my OW skills as part of the dive (Mask Remove / Replace, Primary Sweep and Reach, Buoyancy Control). It seems to get a tad easier each time, but still quite the challenge to stay off the bottom (working at 15' to 20'). Did 30 mins in a local 18' pool yesterday and actually felt pretty good about it, was able to rise and fall based on breathing at about 15'. I'm still a LONG way off, and just wonder how long it takes to master this skill? (I "bounced" once on our first recreational dive, and it scared me poopless, don't want to do that again).

My worst area appears to be the last 6-8' of an ascent (free). I can go slow until then, but my computer gets me every time at that depth. I would assume this in impatience, but not sure, your thoughts?

Also, I would assume it is good to continue to practice skills as part of the weekend diving, is this true?

Charley

The closer to the surface you are the harder it is to control due to the biggest volume change being in the last few UPPER feet. Look at your book and see how drastic the change is close to the surface.

If you keep thinking about it and keep working at it you should catch on soon.

One thing to keep in mind is to "think ahead". Don’t wait until you start sinking or rising before you react. Let’s take going down for example. You know that if you start out neutral and descend that you will need to add some air to your BC. So rather than wait until you start getting pulled down add a squirt or two and gradually adjust as you go. The same works for going the other way. Don’t wait until you start moving fast; start dumping a little at a time early.

It’s like coming to a stop sign. You know you will need to stop so you start braking early (at least most of us do or should). If you wait until the last minute it’s harder to stop and you don’t have the control that you could have had.

You should be at a point with your buoyancy that if you take in a deep full breath you will rise and if you completely exhale you will sink. Once you’re there keep your breathing in the middle of the two. Doing that will let you hover in one spot. As your tank empties you might have to make minor adjustments.

Practice, practice, practice

Gary D.

If the current and conditions are good enough that I can see the line and keep it in site then I do a free ascent. This is about 75 percent of the time for me.

However, if we have 4-6 ft. waves and high currents like I believe that DeepLou is talking about and are somewhat common diving conditions in the Great Lakes and Northeast Atlantic coast, then the cardinal rule is to hold onto the line whether it be physically or with a jon line. This isn't for buoyancy control. It is to prevent being blown away from the boat and not having the boat captain be able to see you by the time you clear your deco/safety stops. Yes, a safety sausage will help, but on a given day the captain may have trouble seeing that as well. The lift bag may be visible to the captain, but he is bound to have to consider other divers doing deco on the ascent line. By the time that he can break off and get you, you may be a little far from the boat.

Yes, the shop that I am working with teaches free ascents in OW, but that doesn't prevent current and sea conditions from moving a diver quite a ways away from the dive boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom