buddy for boat or shore dive on Sept 24?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SoCalAngel

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey all,

I am coming to Chicago September 23rd to 26th. I have only have one day to dive - on Saturday the 24th. I would really like to dive in Lake Michigan, maybe a wreck or two? :06: Would any of you wonderful scubaboarders be willing to take me out in the "warm" waters of Chicago? I wouldn't mind a boat dive, or shore dive...Oh, I've never done a quarry. That might be different. *batting eyelashes*

I have lots of So Cal "temperate" water experience. :D I will be bringing all my gear, sans tank and weights, which includes a dry suit. Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you all!

av8er23:
What is the temp of Lake Michigan this time of year?

I'm guessing , ummm, cold! :11:

av8er23:

Not sure about Chitown, but around Milwaukee these days it's usually about 70 at the surface, mid to high 50's at 50', and down in the low 40's past 90'. Bring your thermies :frosty:

av8er23:

Lately we have been expeeriencing surface temperatures in the low 70's. The first major thermocline is at about 45 to 50 feet. Below that the temperature is about 50 or less. Of course, all this depends on which way the wind is blowing on any given day.

We had temps in the high 60's last Sunday on Captain Dale's boat. Vis was not so hot, maybe 30' and pretty silty.

Vis has typically been MUCH better than that. I've seen up to 80+ feet on the very best days, which is really impressive up here.

Remember, though - we don't have much wildlife in Lake Michigan. You're going to be lucky to see a few scruffy lawyerfish and some sculpins - it's all about the wrecks out here.

Hiya Dale! I'm still crying about getting blown out on Monday... :(

scubalaurel:
Hey all,

I am coming to Chicago September 23rd to 26th. I have only have one day to dive - on Saturday the 24th. I would really like to dive in Lake Michigan, maybe a wreck or two? :06: Would any of you wonderful scubaboarders be willing to take me out in the "warm" waters of Chicago? I wouldn't mind a boat dive, or shore dive...Oh, I've never done a quarry. That might be different. *batting eyelashes*

I have lots of So Cal "temperate" water experience. :D I will be bringing all my gear, sans tank and weights, which includes a dry suit. Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you all!

Have to check with the better half to see if we have anything else planned that day, but she is out of action as a diver, and I am getting the itch to get wet.

I can look into charters, but shore diving Lake Michigan around Chicago is hard to come by, so if a charter isn't in the cards, it may well be a quarry.

Do you dive wet or dry? If wet, I would recommend a minimum of a 7 mil suit and 3 mil gloves and hood.

Edit: 24th is a no-go for me. Better half's company picnic. What about Sept 25?

nitroxbabe:
We had temps in the high 60's last Sunday on Captain Dale's boat. Vis was not so hot, maybe 30' and pretty silty.

Vis has typically been MUCH better than that. I've seen up to 80+ feet on the very best days, which is really impressive up here.

Wow! 30 ft is more than we've had here recently. Green goo (aka red tide) been hangin' out all summer. Went to outer islands and dove some pinnacles last weekend and still only had 15-20 feet.

gangrel441:
Do you dive wet or dry? If wet, I would recommend a minimum of a 7 mil suit and 3 mil gloves and hood.

Edit: 24th is a no-go for me. Better half's company picnic. What about Sept 25?

I dive both, depending on temp. Wet is a 7mm with 5 mm hooded vest and 5mm gloves. Drysuit is a 4 mm crushed neoprene. I will be bringing my dry suit for this trip. Nothing like a good thermal cline to make you cold for days in a 7 mm. :wink:

Too bad you can't do the 24th. I have cubs tickets for the Sunday game, so the 25th won't work for me. What about boat charters for the 24th? Any good ones? CaptDale, you going out that day? I luv wrecks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom