Buddy Dive - bad attitude?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh. So this is all about Sue's credibility. Not about the rudeness or sh1tty service at BD. I had no idea that this was a trial.

Oh. So this is all about Sue's credibility. Not about the rudeness or sh1tty service at BD. I had no idea that this was a trial.
Scubaboard has been sued before over allegedly libelous claims posted on its fora. Businesses can suffer undeserved financial harm merely because someone has a bone to pick. Damn right it's about credibility. Would you rather have a board full of liars telling fish stories?

No smacking, but maybe some educatin'. On any board, you'll find people reading between the lines and reacting to parts of posts that don't seem to be the OP's primary focus. One reason is simply: rationale seeking. We've experienced good customer service at Buddy Dive, she didn't. Why? To answer that, we openly wonder what might cause a perception of bad customer service or an actuality of bad customer service. Sometimes it is the fault of the dive op, to be sure, but we've also seen time and time again when it's obviously the fault of the customer. Those of us that like BD might want to defend BD and if we see elements in Sue's posts that "don't add up", bringing those facts to light help provide the objectivity that's needed when there is otherwise a one-sided subjective claim (BD could respond itself, to be sure, but I don't believe they have any presence on Scubaboard).

To me, I could care less about defending BD. They're a big established dive op that doesn't need our help and, as I mentioned above, they could certainly participate in SB if they wished. To me, it was simply that the post didn't "add up", that insisting on 24 lbs to dive a 3mm doesn't add up to being an experienced instructor. Once you find one hole in a post, might as well keep digging because then it's all about credibility. This is hardly juvenile, it's what lawyers do in cross-examination all the time. If you have an eye-witness claiming such and such happened, but on later questioning are able to reveal that the eye-witness has cataracts and was indoors and nowhere near a window when she supposedly "saw" the event in question, then the witness' credibility is destroyed and all her testimony can be ignored.

I have not responded to the question of the description of my buddy because that is not what the original post was about. I have never stated that Irene didn't have a right to question the amount, my only concern was with the delivery of her question and her not being receptive to any response from the diver. In short her attitude - and the snippiness we experienced with other dive staff. I have all along simply asked if this were abnormal or becoming the usual. The answer has come across that some have experienced it during Carnival (and I have stated we were there right after) and few others have seen it but the majority have not. This is good news for me as I don't want to believe BD is loosing their standing in good dive locations.

And there are holes in every post - including your's Mossman - when you state emphatically that fat divers need extra weight and that you as a fat diver only requires 10# of lead. Really? No one has grilled you on how this could possibly be true. We have accepted your statement a truthful.

Scubaboard has been sued before over allegedly libelous claims posted on its fora. Businesses can suffer undeserved financial harm merely because someone has a bone to pick. Damn right it's about credibility. Would you rather have a board full of liars telling fish stories?

I thought this was the forum to get information about scuba and related things, both negative and positive. If it was limited to only the positive what would be the point? Then it would be an advertisement only.

I only asked the question about the attitude and reported what happened to me. I didn't pick a bone, rather put the question out there. And as I have posted previously, those that responded to the actual question have spoken, it seems to be an unusual occurrence. BUT what if this was becoming the norm for BD - or any other resort that one had visited and posted similarly. Wouldn't it be the right of divers to know this before signing up? Wouldn't you want to know?

Do you really feel the poster here are all liars? If so why do you even read the forum? If all are liars then you can't believe anything you read here.

I have not responded to the question of the description of my buddy because that is not what the original post was about. I have never stated that Irene didn't have a right to question the amount, my only concern was with the delivery of her question and her not being receptive to any response from the diver. In short her attitude - and the snippiness we experienced with other dive staff. I have all along simply asked if this were abnormal or becoming the usual. The answer has come across that some have experienced it during Carnival (and I have stated we were there right after) and few others have seen it but the majority have not. This is good news for me as I don't want to believe BD is loosing their standing in good dive locations.

And there are holes in every post - including your's Mossman - when you state emphatically that fat divers need extra weight and that you as a fat diver only requires 10# of lead. Really? No one has grilled you on how this could possibly be true. We have accepted your statement a truthful.

If my opinion means anything (and I readily accept that it may not to many), I think that what you have put out there is more than sufficient for anyone who is reading with an open mind and not looking for hidden agendas.

Your question has been answered, and there is no percentage in it for you to continue to respond - it seems you are being treated as a hostile witness with an axe to grind. You have been more than reasonable IMO, but I do not think you are going to convince any of the detractors that there isn't some hidden agenda.

I would personally walk away.

I thought this was the forum to get information about scuba and related things, both negative and positive. If it was limited to only the positive what would be the point? Then it would be an advertisement only.
Positive reviews get plenty of scrutiny too, but it's the negative ones that can potentially harm a dive operation.

Do you really feel the poster here are all liars? If so why do you even read the forum? If all are liars then you can't believe anything you read here.
What can I say? I enjoy reading fiction.

Why would you accept what I say as truth? Maybe I'm exaggerating my fatness? Everyone embellishes even if they're not outright liars. I actually have a fair amount of denser muscle tissue as well (believe that, or not, your choice).

If I didn't have the extra baggage, I'd only use 6-8 lbs of lead. For instance, many divers can sink with just a steel tank and aluminum backplate, no lead, but they're obviously not as fat as me.

I've read these threads and don't know why.:idk: (my bad, but I am considering another trip to Bonaire soon and was hoping for folks to address her original concerns). Only a few responses were properly related to the OP's (Sue) posting. My gosh, was everyone drinking heavily when responding or just had a bad week? She asked a simple question about her experience at Buddy Dive and folks posted ad nauseam about weighting, Capt. Don's and other unrelated stuff . Geez, is life this boring for some??? Thanks Sue for your posting and for the couple of other folks who chose to respond to the thread w/o going off on unnecessary tangents. Y'all need to go diving (97' max depth today with 15' vis in 55 F water for 56 min with lots of fish- life really is good:D).

Although I agree with gcarter's last comment, I would like to make an observation.

In the past year I have seen several threads in which one or two posters made comments about a dive operator that were not well received by some of the people who really liked that operator. In those threads, the issues were more serious than merely a perception that someone was rude. For the most part, those threads went the same way as this one, with those friends of the operator ripping apart the posters who were viewed as being negative. Tempers flared, and in several cases the "negative" posters were completely driven away. In those cases, though, it eventually turned out that the negative posters were perfectly correct, and there were indeed some very serious issues involved that needed to come out. Now, there were indeed threads in which the negative posts turned out to be not well founded, but in the threads of which I speak, the people blasting the negative posts almost succeeded in suppressing the truth.

Now, I haven't the foggiest idea about this particular situation, but I sure do wish that so many people had not attacked the OP as rabidly as they did. As I said in an early post, threads like this can provide a real benefit by seeing (as the OP asked) if others had observed the same sort of thing. Unfortunately, this thread will really not serve that purpose because it got so sidetracked by the attacks. Anyone who wanted to agree with the OP, any one who may have felt badly treated there, would be very, very hesitant to speak up for fear of getting the same treatment.

Although I agree with gcarter's last comment, I would like to make an observation.

In the past year I have seen several threads in which one or two posters made comments about a dive operator that were not well received by some of the people who really liked that operator. In those threads, the issues were more serious than merely a perception that someone was rude. For the most part, those threads went the same way as this one, with those friends of the operator ripping apart the posters who were viewed as being negative. Tempers flared, and in several cases the "negative" posters were completely driven away. In those cases, though, it eventually turned out that the negative posters were perfectly correct, and there were indeed some very serious issues involved that needed to come out. Now, there were indeed threads in which the negative posts turned out to be not well founded, but in the threads of which I speak, the people blasting the negative posts almost succeeded in suppressing the truth.

Now, I haven't the foggiest idea about this particular situation, but I sure do wish that so many people had not attacked the OP as rabidly as they did. As I said in an early post, threads like this can provide a real benefit by seeing (as the OP asked) if others had observed the same sort of thing. Unfortunately, this thread will really not serve that purpose because it got so sidetracked by the attacks. Anyone who wanted to agree with the OP, any one who may have felt badly treated there, would be very, very hesitant to speak up for fear of getting the same treatment.

Amen John.

Last July we were at Buddy Dive for a week; my wife thought the folks at the reception desk, fill station, and restaurant were nice, and the dive professionals rude.

I merely thought them European....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom