Buddy Dive - bad attitude?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I personally do not suspect a problem at BD......if there was one I suspect it was an anomaly.

I am really hoping that is it.

I have seen marginal service and I have seen exceptional service at BD. The latter outweighs the former for me.

Again - this is the kind of response I was looking for.

I am really hoping that is it.

With the otherwise overwhelming support, I think it might be. But, keep an eye out here. If we know anything around here, it is that people love to join SB and bitch about companies so if the problem truly exists or grows, you will see more stories around here and fewer positive experiences.

ScubaSteve - that is the reason for my post - pure and simple. If we were the only ones to experience this - great - but if it is a trend, how will we know unless someone speaks up.

I personally would not risk going there now. Why bother? Lots of other resorts on Bonaire. Why take a chance when I've been forewarned about their horrible attitude and rudeness?

Risk?

Not over reacting are we? As many SB members as dive at BD I am sure if there is a new pattern of poor behavior and attitide it will not take long for it to become pparent. At this point it sounds simply like a case of bad day/ bad communications/ possible misunderstandings. OP passed on her obsevarions, and if such a pattern is developing we have had a caution, and if it was just a bad day, no harm done.

My only complaint or concern was this, I dove nitrox all week and when I picked up tanks and checked the pressure and 02% the pressure usually showed in the 3100 range and when I hooked up to my computer it would really be around 2750 to 2800. Please understand that wasn't an issue to me, my concern was if their pressure gauge was off that far was the 02 tester correct. I don't believe it was an issue but it did give me something to consider. I enjoyed my trip and if I return to Bonaire I will stay at Buddy Dive again.

I generally test a tank of air with the O2 tester, the first day I dive there, or anywhere else I am using Nitrox, to make sure it is set correctly. Should read 21%, a simple way to cross check them and myself. I have reset the analyzer if it did not, or you can ask the op to do so.

I have not replied with the specifications as this post was originally a question of other's experience at BD. but there are a few who just can't get over the weight my buddy dives with. What he wears never came up in the exchange at the weight window. The staffer never asked "What are you going to wear?" We were not dressed yet to dive but rather were getting our gear ready for a dive later that day, so she had no way of knowing and just jumped to the conclusion that he couldn't possibly use that much weight. If the staff were as considerate as they should have been, rather than of an immediate response of "you will be crashing into the reef," if she had questioned him why he needed so much, what was he planning on wearing, and perhaps a suggestion that she watch him on his check out dive would have been much more appropriate.
Fat me uses 16 lbs with an AL80 for my 5mm FJ suit. It is within the realm of possibility that a diver could be planning to use a 7mm or a drysuit, but that's exceedingly rare for Bonaire. Hence Irene made the logical assumption that the diver would be wearing a 3mm or less and, as every experienced diver knows or should know, 24 lbs is way, way, way too much for a diver wearing a 3mm on an AL80. Irene would also know that only extremely obese people might need the 24 lbs, so I can presume that your friend is not built that large or Irene would have handed over the weight without question.

Overweighting is probably the most common bad habit of recreational divers. Therefore, Irene likely deals with a lot of divers asking for far more weight than they really need. And I'm sure she gets the response back that the diver always dives with that much weight so therefore Irene must be wrong. Even in the hospitality industry, if enough people tell you you're wrong when you're really right, even the best customer service attitude can eventually crack. However, given the constant flow of divers through Buddy Dive, and especially Buddy's yearn for repeating large dive groups, it can be assumed that there is constant feedback to the management and that the management would take steps to address any serious breaches of customer service. Unfriendly employees don't last long, as there is a steady supply of fresh blood from Holland to draw upon. (I wish I could say the same about unfriendly management or owners.)

I cant really answer the question of "noticed a change" but I just returned from my first trip to Bonaire and stayed at Buddy and I will be glad to give my observation but I would like to say I believe that how much lead a diver needs to dive is what they need and each persons perception is their reality and I think the OP is trying to decide if what he felt was reality.
I was very happy with the staff and found them very helpful but I will admit I was looked at funny and questioned when I ask for some 1lb weights, when I told the person at the counter I wanted them for trim weights I was told sorry we just don't have any so I was OK with that. My only complaint or concern was this, I dove nitrox all week and when I picked up tanks and checked the pressure and 02% the pressure usually showed in the 3100 range and when I hooked up to my computer it would really be around 2750 to 2800. Please understand that wasn't an issue to me, my concern was if their pressure gauge was off that far was the 02 tester correct. I don't believe it was an issue but it did give me something to consider. I enjoyed my trip and if I return to Bonaire I will stay at Buddy Dive again.
Tanks will cool after filling and pressure is related to temperature? If there was a time lag between testing the tank when you picked it up and when you hooked up your computer, the tank will likely have cooled somewhat and the pressure will be lower. Unlike pressure gauges, O2 analyzers are easily calibrated. When the sensor is no longer working, the readings get weird. If the pressure gauge is off by a bit, no real harm besides potentially cutting off a few minutes of someone's dive. A faulty O2 analyzer, on the other hand, could lead to real problems and I doubt Buddy would risk that.

Just returned from a week at Buddy with a group of 6. Have to ask, is it just us or do any other notice a change in the attitude of the dive staff at Buddy Dive. I dove with them several times, 2009 and before, and found the dive staff to be pleasant and helpful. This trip they were condescending, arrogant and down right nasty at times. Anyone else notice this change in attitude? (the resort staff were much more pleasant)

Was it Carnival week, by any chance? Last time I went to Buddy's I had a less than positive experience, which surprised me based on previous experiences. Turned out it was Carnival week, and staff was seriously stressed out.

Makes a lot of difference ... for sure I learned a lesson ... next time I schedule a trip to Bonaire, it won't be during the busiest week of their year.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Tanks will cool after filling and pressure is related to temperature? If there was a time lag between testing the tank when you picked it up and when you hooked up your computer, the tank will likely have cooled somewhat and the pressure will be lower. Unlike pressure gauges, O2 analyzers are easily calibrated. When the sensor is no longer working, the readings get weird. If the pressure gauge is off by a bit, no real harm besides potentially cutting off a few minutes of someone's dive. A faulty O2 analyzer, on the other hand, could lead to real problems and I doubt Buddy would risk that.

No doubt about it their gauge was wrong, I hooked up once in the drive to check it but as I stated that was not an issue in the least and I never mentioned it to them but in retrospect maybe I should have. I never saw the 02 analyzer do anything but give a normal reading so I never had a problem trusting it, my post was simply saying I had no issues at buddy dive other than because I knew the air pressure gauge was incorrect it made me think about the 02 analyzer. If I had any real mistrust of the device I would have questioned the people at the fill station. Once again a very minor thing, I was letting the OP know I did not have the same perception of service as he did and I guess I was not as clear as I should have been.

Did Irene have a brain fart too in regard to anybody on the boat in Bonaire has already completed their required check out dive?

Did Irene have a brain fart too in regard to anybody on the boat in Bonaire has already completed their required check out dive?
How did they complete their check-out dive without weights?

I thought the way it worked was you get your weights after orientation, before your check-out dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom