Buddy Dive - bad attitude?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tanks will cool after filling and pressure is related to temperature? If there was a time lag between testing the tank when you picked it up and when you hooked up your computer, the tank will likely have cooled somewhat and the pressure will be lower. Unlike pressure gauges, O2 analyzers are easily calibrated. When the sensor is no longer working, the readings get weird. If the pressure gauge is off by a bit, no real harm besides potentially cutting off a few minutes of someone's dive. A faulty O2 analyzer, on the other hand, could lead to real problems and I doubt Buddy would risk that.

It turned out (Francesca told me late in the week) that the low tank pressure of the tanks on the boat is caused by the crew handling them. They grab them by the valves and inadvertently open them a small amount and don't check to make sure they are closed. This allows the air to escape - a little to a lot - one tank was at 1700#, another at 2000# and others at 2500#. There is a potential danger here if the diver doesn't check the pressure before diving (yes as they should and I have made a habit to - but it happens, especially to new divers). Also it was a nuisance to change tanks once you were set up. Sometimes we went through 3 tanks before we found a full one (after the first we would use our regulator to test the tanks before moving our gear over.) The tanks we tested on the dock were pretty consistently in the 2900 - 3000# range.

With regard to the nitrox mix, I tried 3 different analyzers on the boat - 2 of the one style would read 28% and the 1 of the other style ready 30% - and this happened on several tanks. This was mentioned to the staff on the boat but they didn't address the concern. The analyzer on the dock give readings of 28 - 29%.

Did Irene have a brain fart too in regard to anybody on the boat in Bonaire has already completed their required check out dive?

Irene was not on the boat - the exchange with her was after orientation on the dock. They don't give weights out on the boats at all - I don't remember if they used to - but now you keep your weights with your gear all week long - boats or shore.

Sue, I just checked your pictures of Bonaire on your website and downloaded a few. On several pictures several divers are standing on the seabed, exchanging fins..... ????? On another picture somebody is swimming through the softcoral. On another picture somebody is touching a fish.... Too bad I cannot post them right here but if somebody wants to see them drop me a mail. This is the reason why dive instuctors and divemasters on the island ask questions about weights etc.

Sue, I just checked your pictures of Bonaire on your website and downloaded a few. On several pictures several divers are standing on the seabed, exchanging fins..... ????? On another picture somebody is swimming through the softcoral. On another picture somebody is touching a fish.... Too bad I cannot post them right here but if somebody wants to see them drop me a mail. This is the reason why dive instuctors and divemasters on the island ask questions about weights etc.

The exchange of fins was because the 2 divers have the same fins and somehow got them mixed up on the boat - (the one with smaller feet jumped in first. The other followed, caught up and then they traded) They were trying to stay in the sand but I concede this does look bad as there are corals etc around the area.

The "touching of the fish" was such a strange experience. This spanish hog fish was living on the reef at BD. We came across him one day and he swam up to us and around us, actually touching us. I know this sounds like I am making this up but I am not. We went back a day to two later and there he was again and acted the same. If you look at the pictures you can see that the divers are not chasing the fish, the fish is swimming around the divers. I even took video of this. I know we are not to hassle the wildlife but what if the wildlife approaches us?

I didn't see the pic of the person in the soft coral - is it possible the angle that makes it look like he is in the coral? If not then once again I accept the blame.

I will "defend" myself by saying that was 3 years ago and I have tried to improve my diving and conscienceness since then. I am sure if you continue to examine my pics you will find other errors I or my buddies have made. If I have offended anyone or anything by these pics or actions, please accept my apologies.

EDIT: Oops now I see the coral problem - you are correct and I take the blame and I should have been more aware when I was taking the pic. I will definitely watch in the future now that you have pointed this out!

Spanish hogfish can definitely be pesky. In the Galapagos, they nip at your fingers while you're clutching the reef (trying to get at bits of broken barnacles) and you literally have to smack them before they'll leave you alone.

AFAIK, touching Spanish hogs is not against the marine park rules, which only prohibit touching corals and disturbing turtles. Apparently you can touch all the fish and other marine life all you want as long as you don't remove them from the water. I sure hope so since J has a fetish for playing with cleaner shrimp and I'd hate to see her get arrested.

IMO this is less about the fish (just like it really wasn't about the lead) than it is about smacking at designbysue. Her valid but unpopular question seems to be drawing a lot of ire that is pulling at any available thread to discredit her.

I don't get it, but it is a recurring theme on this board. If you don't like what they have to say, discredit them by picking up on peripheral comments and refocus the conversation. Juvenile and transparent, but often done, with way too few perpetrators being called on it. She has been an absolute lady and responded with respect to posts that frankly IMO don't deserve respect.

My opinion of course. I am sure it is my turn to be smacked now.

Was it Carnival week, by any chance? Last time I went to Buddy's I had a less than positive experience, which surprised me based on previous experiences. Turned out it was Carnival week, and staff was seriously stressed out.
... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I just got a chance to check and actually Carnival was the weeks previous and ended the Wednesday before we got there (on Saturday). Interesting - wonder if there is any connection.

IMO this is less about the fish (just like it really wasn't about the lead) than it is about smacking at designbysue. Her valid but unpopular question seems to be drawing a lot of ire that is pulling at any available thread to discredit her.

I don't get it, but it is a recurring theme on this board. If you don't like what they have to say, discredit them by picking up on peripheral comments and refocus the conversation. Juvenile and transparent, but often done, with way too few perpetrators being called on it. She has been an absolute lady and responded with respect to posts that frankly IMO don't deserve respect.

Thank you for your comment - you confirmed what I have felt since about post 6. Good luck in your smacking!

They don't give weights out on the boats at all - I don't remember if they used to - but now you keep your weights with your gear all week long - boats or shore.

I first stayed at BD @8 yrs ago now. At BD, Den Lamen and the Plaza you pick up your weights at the shop upon completion of the orientation, do your orientation/check out dive, and keep those weights for the entirity of your stay. They usually have a few extra weights on board the dive boats, but this is a more limited supply.

Welcome to the internet.

I just got a chance to check and actually Carnival was the weeks previous and ended the Wednesday before we got there (on Saturday). Interesting - wonder if there is any connection.

The week after Carnival we were in Coz. I heard some complaints about the local business' being still a bit harried and short tempered. Service trade folks get a bit overwhelmed I gather during such a hectic period.

No smacking, but maybe some educatin'. On any board, you'll find people reading between the lines and reacting to parts of posts that don't seem to be the OP's primary focus. One reason is simply: rationale seeking. We've experienced good customer service at Buddy Dive, she didn't. Why? To answer that, we openly wonder what might cause a perception of bad customer service or an actuality of bad customer service. Sometimes it is the fault of the dive op, to be sure, but we've also seen time and time again when it's obviously the fault of the customer. Those of us that like BD might want to defend BD and if we see elements in Sue's posts that "don't add up", bringing those facts to light help provide the objectivity that's needed when there is otherwise a one-sided subjective claim (BD could respond itself, to be sure, but I don't believe they have any presence on Scubaboard).

To me, I could care less about defending BD. They're a big established dive op that doesn't need our help and, as I mentioned above, they could certainly participate in SB if they wished. To me, it was simply that the post didn't "add up", that insisting on 24 lbs to dive a 3mm doesn't add up to being an experienced instructor. Once you find one hole in a post, might as well keep digging because then it's all about credibility. This is hardly juvenile, it's what lawyers do in cross-examination all the time. If you have an eye-witness claiming such and such happened, but on later questioning are able to reveal that the eye-witness has cataracts and was indoors and nowhere near a window when she supposedly "saw" the event in question, then the witness' credibility is destroyed and all her testimony can be ignored.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom