Buddy Air Balancing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nemrod:
MikeF says:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Who said they dive without a plan?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well you did somewhat here:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The rule of thirds is time honored for cave diving but how does that apply to open water? Unless there is something about that open water dive that absolutely requires that you get back to the entry point under water, it usually doesn't. The surface is our out. We need enough gas to get two divers to the surface. The "rule of thirds" is not time honored for open water diving and often just doesn't apply at all.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Diving until you run out of air or down to reserve and then making a straight ascent is not much of a plan.

I suspect we are really in agreement and we are just arguing--lol. I fully understand dive planning and I know that you do also, we just approach it from different training perspectives. I approach it from my early cave training which to this day colors my diving and you approach it from a "tech" standpoint which is your background but the result is the same--we both dive with a solid plan, an out and a reserve sufficient for the intended dive.

I think this thread is worn out.

N

The thread is worn out but we can argue a while longer just for fun if you want.:wink:

I don't know, all my real dive planning was learned in cave and tech training so I definately appreciate the value of not running out of gas. So far so good.

A plan doesn't have to be any more detailed or restrictive than the environment and the dive objectives dictate though. Big dives get big plans but little dives just get little ones. All, with the intent of being able to reach the surface if the worst case happens.

I am amazed at all the "gas managers" around here who suddenly have no dive plan--ok--whatever. As to the rest, I can read into posts as good as you guys can read into mine.

I think I will stick with my guns---the OP is BAD practice and all dives should have some sort of plan if only informal. If you guys want to condone dive extension via sharing air go ahead but don't kid yourself into thinking this a good form. Read the OP. Apparently you guys are for Air Balancing and I am essentially not when used to extend an OW dive.

Is the sun in supernova or something, what is going on with you "serious" divers. I am the one who is supposed to be saying safety is over rated, live dangerous and die free."

N

Nemrod:
I am amazed at all the "gas managers" around here who suddenly have no dive plan--ok--whatever. As to the rest, I can read into posts as good as you guys can read into mine.

I think I will stick with my guns---the OP is BAD practice and all dives should have some sort of plan if only informal. If you guys want to condone dive extension via sharing air go ahead but don't kid yourself into thinking this a good form. Read the OP. Apparently you guys are for Air Balancing and I am essentially not when used to extend an OW dive.

N

I've done it a couple times where it was part of the plan. Once because of a short fill and once because of a newer diver with a higher SAC. In both cases we agreed what we would do and when & how we would do it. I don't see the problem.

Nemrod:

After reading all the posts, arguments for/against this: "It's not in the PADI book, but basically when you get down to 600psi you help your buddy breath down his air supply....by way of his Octo...and then when he reaches 600psi you switch back to your own air supply, and surface normally."

It still seems fishy to me to teach this at the OW level, with experience it can see this be a no issue. If this is the gas plan that is taught at that point, I think we are all good, yah?

Meng_Tze:
It still seems fishy to me to teach this at the OW level, with experience it can see this be a no issue. If this is the gas plan that is taught at that point, I think we are all good, yah?
Comrade Diver's right!

Meng_Tze:

Well, there is just so much that's fishy about what is taught at the OW level. LOL

Nemrod:
Diving until you run out of air or down to reserve and then making a straight ascent is not much of a plan.
Diving until you hit the agreed upon ascent pressure and then ascending sounds to me like an excellent plan for a drift dive within NDL limits with a live boat standing by to pick you up. The agreed upon ascent pressure, of course, is sufficient gas for a nice slow ascent, deep stops, and safety stop for both divers.

What else would you add to the gas plan? How would you apply the rule of thirds to such a drift dive?

Charlie Allen

Charlie99:
How would you apply the rule of thirds to such a drift dive?

Charlie Allen

You have to turn around:11doh:

Back
Top Bottom