Buddies and Photography

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmmm. A higher plane? I'm thinking a "deeper depth" as in 800'...

I'm going to padlock my camera to myself and take you all with me.

So a team of three of us are together diving a wall up near Port Hardy BC this January. One buddy is GUE Tech 1, then me and the third is a new diver with about 25 dives under his belt. He has been briefed in DIR buddy protocols and is outfitted in a similar fashion to us – including a 21W HID. Oh - he also has a camera with an external strobe. His name is Mike…

We have had a lovely dive with all three of us staying together. Mike has been particularly intrigued with taking pictures at times to the point of ignoring looking at his spg. No problem – he is a new diver and my best friend. I’ll cut him slack. At least he isn’t roto – tilling the bottom, but only because its 300’ beneath us.

We find ourselves coming up to about 40’ and still on the wall. There is no current and I see that Mike is particularly intrigued with something that is going on with his camera. He has devoted himself completely to figuring out what it is, to the exclusion of everything around him. Dave – the third member of team is 5’ horizontally off to my right and we are hovering about 6’ directly behind Mike and about 10’ from the wall.

I figure this would be a perfect time to do an OOA drill with Mike. I turn to Dave and do the drill sign. I then point to Mike and do the OOA sign. Dave understands. Next I take my HID and wave the beam on the wall directly in front of Mike. No response. I then move my light urgently across his hands and the back of the camera. No response. After over two minutes passing I finally get Mikes attention and he turns around to my light frantically waving in his direction. I’ve seen deer in headlights with greater recognition of what is happening than I did with him. I spit out my reg and slash my hand across my throat. No response. Then I grin from ear to ear, flood my mask, and clear my reg. Drill over and point made.

We arrive topside and over lunch I ask him about me going OOA and what he should have done. He is my best friend and he realized that I could have died. I chose not to belabor the point.

The point of relating this story is that for the rest of the week Mike shot countless pictures and never again lost contact with me. Here he is a new diver, not even AOW certified and had only casually been briefed on DIR buddy protocols and yet his buddy skills after that one failed drill were acute.

No you don’t have to be DIR or have any DIR training to be a good buddy and photographer. What you do have take on the dive with you – if you choose to dive with a buddy – is good awareness. Both can be achieved without sacrificing the other if you want to do it. It can also be done by a new diver and best friend, who comes out to visit me from Colorado every once in a while to go diving… :D

catherine96821:
well, you are the one that called the big housing with strobes "PITA". I was making a very good point that it is, in fact, easier to be dive-god of the universe and a good DIR buddy with a point and shoot, thats all. :lol2:
For me the reason why it's a PITA is because I feel like I need a Gavin to push the thing through the water.:D

I use a Nikon F5 in AF mode and frankly I don't find taking pictures with it all that difficult. When I don't want to shoot, I clip it off on my left hip d-ring.

Uncle Pug:
Come dive with us and you will no longer be a skeptic.

We are DIR.
Hahahahah.....

Sure that shouldn't say

"We like to stir the pot..."

lol mike, you stroke :D

OE2X:
So here is the reason why I don't dive with my Aquatica unless a client is throwing huge sums of money at me:
Virtually everyday of the week I eat, sleep and drink photography. It is my business and I put in anywhere between 2 to 20 hours a day every day of the week doing something related to it.

Diving for me is a form of relaxation that I refuse to turn into a profession. Yes I have shot jobs underwater. I have two jobs that will require underwater shots in the next six weeks. With as much diving as I try to do, the last thing I want to do is to make it feel like work. I have done that with other areas of my life, become very accomplished at it and then moved away from doing the activity for fun because it felt... well - like work.
In a warm tropical location? you could always fly me out there to do it...

I need a paid holiday :wink:

I may have to reconsider my choice of these guys as 'good' dive buddies. Some remind me 'just a wee bit' of Inspector Clouseau's sidkick Kato.

post 9, we await, then we pounce .:D

OEX2, do real men have "lovely dives"?...or is that a DIR phrase?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom