Buddies and Photography

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

catherine96821:
You will certainly go into the situation knowing the issues after reading this thread. Then you must decide your comfort level. If he looks like a disaster then lay down some ground rules for your partnership. If he does not follow then, and you feel endangered, leave him basically. Lets say he is lagging dangerously behind on a site you don't know too well and compromising the dive "plan". You can signal that you are leaving him or you can stay with him, your option.

I would suggest following the "Dennis" rules:

1. Check out the quality of his/her equipment, if really good, stay close, but not close enough to really help. Someone has to retrieve the camera.

2. If it is cheap gear, or stuff you don't want, blow them off as fast as possible and go have a fun dive. Ask them how the dive was, if they make it back.

Plan your dive and dive your plan.

Catherine wants my 8" dome port, Puff. She will be reading your post carefully...:D

I was just.....thinking that! see? we are of like minds! I would leave the air 2 with the body though. heeee heeee. I would help myself to all that back-up stuff you have stashed all over your body....I'll take the room key for my friends.

Puffer Fish:
I would suggest following the "Dennis" rules:

1. Check out the quality of his/her equipment, if really good, stay close, but not close enough to really help. Someone has to retrieve the camera.

Plan your dive and dive your plan.

So maybe throw a crab at Dennis, turn off his air, and grab his camera, but make sure it has the 8" dome port attached, AND find out where he keeps his battery chargers while on the boat?

PADI says plan the dive, and dive the Plan, so this actually meets the training goals!

Hey Dennis, I now understand why you may want to dive solo! :D

RonFrank:
So maybe throw a crab at Dennis, turn off his air, and grab his camera, but make sure it has the 8" dome port attached, AND find out where he keeps his battery chargers while on the boat?

PADI says plan the dive, and dive the Plan, so this actually meets the training goals!
If that isn't DIR, I don't know what is.

I would like to think of a better way to procure the port....one where Denny could live. Good solo dive partners are not plentiful. we could SHARE his port Ron, if you are getting housed for the D-200 with Ike.

catherine96821:
That "PITA" Aquatica housing, collecting dust, locked in the closet? the one that is too much trouble to dive with unless somebody is paying you? Well, some us are diving with set-ups that big now, on our ninja dives so that is an important difference. yes, I am sure it is easier to keep track of your DIR cronies with a point and shoot.
So here is the reason why I don't dive with my Aquatica unless a client is throwing huge sums of money at me:
Virtually everyday of the week I eat, sleep and drink photography. It is my business and I put in anywhere between 2 to 20 hours a day every day of the week doing something related to it.

Diving for me is a form of relaxation that I refuse to turn into a profession. Yes I have shot jobs underwater. I have two jobs that will require underwater shots in the next six weeks. With as much diving as I try to do, the last thing I want to do is to make it feel like work. I have done that with other areas of my life, become very accomplished at it and then moved away from doing the activity for fun because it felt... well - like work.

well, you are the one that called the big housing with strobes "PITA". I was making a very good point that it is, in fact, easier to be dive-god of the universe and a good DIR buddy with a point and shoot, thats all. :lol2:

Now, don't forget to dazzle us with the underwater shots...take a few "rejects" that you can share. You haven't exactly been proliferative with the underwater shots ya know...

catherine96821:
I would like to think of a better way to procure the port....one where Denny could live. Good solo dive partners are not plentiful. we could SHARE his port Ron, if you are getting housed for the D-200 with Ike.

I was just suggesting the easy way, would having him just be crippled do? Enough so that he would not be able to use his port?

Dennis will always live in our hearts, we are just helping him reach a higher plane. Really, this is our love and compassion coming to a focal point (the case is just a plus)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom