Bst way to store regulator between dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bill_bain

Contributor
Reaction score
What's the best way to store the regulator, octopus and console between dives? Hanging would seem to stress the hoses where the ferrules are that allow them to thread into the first stage and laying it flat or in a regulator bag bungs up the regulator soft parts. Opinions, please! TIA.

Bill

After cleanup, I hang my regulators. After they are dry, I put them in the reg bag. Not had any problems.

I have a BCD hanger and I hang the regs to dry and then take them down later. ( I was worried about straining the fittings too )

BTW: I use my "5 wood golf driver head cover" to protect my consol ( SPG, computer, compass ) It looks funny but it works great. (I never use my 5 wood ) lol

I keep my regs in an open mesh bag hung in a closet i keep for equipment. The bag supports the weight and allows the regs to completely dry and have air circulation. I put them in a closed reg bag to travel and carry the mesh one for storage between dives on the trip.

I find that some of the older regs that have been stored in close quarters show it. It all depends on the long term I think. Throughout the season is fine to keep them in the reg bag, but throughout the winter I would put them somewhere in the house where you can give them a little space. I try not to bend the hose at the first stage connection. That is where they always break first. I wouldn't worry too much though. This is just over the long long long term. mesh bag or padded reg bags always work.

A set of hose protectors is a good idea too. Get the kind that fit really tightly on the hose that won't slide down and press them tightly against the 1st stage.

I hang mine in my "Scuba Closet". I have the first stage on a larg plastic coated hook. The second stage, octo, and gauges rest on a shelf below so there isn't any stress on the hoses. Additionally I take the weight bags from my Ranger BC and place the reg and octo second stages in them and zip them up to keep any unwanted "guests" from make themselves at home.

I usually just dangle mine at the corner of my workbench with the the 1st stage and connectiongs sitting flat but the hoses hanging off the edge of the table to let the water drain out of the 2nd stages. After drying I store them in a mesh bag in my "play stuff closet". During the months that I am not diving I take the reg apart for a maintance check and usually leave it disassembled until I start diving again - so no worries about hoses being bent and overstressing the connections.

To protect the face of my pressure gauge, I slip a wrist sweatband onto it--pick up a pair at any sporting goods store. Makes great padding, won't fall off. (Computer and compass, both wrist-mounted, get one too when travelling.)

Dry and put in Air tight container - dust free. Anything works for me, from a tied plastic grocery bag to Pelican hard case.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom